Can't select multiple files in my computer

Eran

Can't select multiple files in my computer
Hi,

I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl and
shift keys.
I can't even multiple select with the mouse.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,

Eran

Aleksey Tchekmarev

Re: Can't select multiple files in my computer
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...istry_bags.htm
???
Have the same problem (don't know why and how it has appeared...)
Couldn't fix it (System Restore helped)... this link find only later.
Try it... and tell, please, about results! :-))

"Eran" <nospam@thank.you> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее: news:%23kXr35GaHHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl and
> shift keys.
> I can't even multiple select with the mouse.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eran

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Can't select multiple files in my computer
It's a quirk that's been showing up on some machines. Don't know what
causes it. Can you think of what apps you accessed this folder with or
anything you did differently with it?

Here's a bare-bones script that should fix the problem. Right-click the
link & select 'Save to Disk'

http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip

Close all explorer windows before running the script. Log off & back on
after running the script before you open any Explorer windows.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Eran" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl
> and
> shift keys.
> I can't even multiple select with the mouse.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eran

Re: Can't select multiple files in my computer
FWF_SINGLESEL
Do not allow more than a single item to be selected. This is used in the
common dialog boxes.

typedef enum {
FWF_AUTOARRANGE = 0x00000001,
FWF_ABBREVIATEDNAMES = 0x00000002,
FWF_SNAPTOGRID = 0x00000004,
FWF_OWNERDATA = 0x00000008,
FWF_BESTFITWINDOW = 0x00000008,
FWF_DESKTOP = 0x00000020,
FWF_SINGLESEL = 0x00000040,
FWF_NOSUBFOLDERS = 0x00000080,
FWF_TRANSPARENT = 0x00000100,
FWF_NOCLIENTEDGE = 0x00000200,
FWF_NOSCROLL = 0x00000400,
FWF_ALIGNLEFT = 0x00000800,
FWF_NOICONS = 0x00001000,
FWF_SHOWSELALWAYS = 0x00002000,
FWF_NOVISIBLE = 0x00004000,
FWF_SINGLECLICKACTIVATE = 0x00008000,
FWF_NOWEBVIEW = 0x00010000,
FWF_HIDEFILENAMES = 0x00020000,
FWF_CHECKSELECT = 0x00040000,
FWF_NOENUMREFRESH = 0x00080000,
FWF_NOGROUPING = 0x00100000,
FWF_FULLROWSELECT = 0x00200000,
FWF_NOFILTERS = 0x00400000,
FWF_NOCOLUMNHEADER = 0x01000000,
FWF_NOHEADERINALLVIEWS = 0x02000000,
FWF_EXTENDEDTILES = 0x01000000,
FWF_TRICHECKSELECT = 0x02000000,
FWF_AUTOCHECKSELECT = 0x04000000,
FWF_NOBROWSERVIEWSTATE = 0x08000000,
FWF_SUBSETGROUPS = 0x10000000,
FWF_USESEARCHFOLDER = 0x40000000
} FOLDERFLAGS;

Used by IShellFolderView

Whoich I think is this under bags

FFlags

If it is, a random documents folder had settings of;

FWF_AUTOARRANGE (which I use)
Automatically arrange the elements in the view. This implies LVS_AUTOARRANGE
if the list view control is used to implement the view.
FWF_FULLROWSELECT (dunno - maybe stacking)
Windows Vista: When an item is selected, the item and all its sub-items are
highlighted.
FWF_USESEARCHFOLDER (dunno I not ever stacked anything)
Windows Vista: Use the search folder for stacking and searching.

So perhaps common dialogs mistakenly write to the shell. Or the shell if it
can't find a shell bag uses the common dialog bag.

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> It's a quirk that's been showing up on some machines. Don't know what
> causes it. Can you think of what apps you accessed this folder with or
> anything you did differently with it?
>
> Here's a bare-bones script that should fix the problem. Right-click the
> link & select 'Save to Disk'
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip
>
> Close all explorer windows before running the script. Log off & back on
> after running the script before you open any Explorer windows.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Eran" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl
>> and
>> shift keys.
>> I can't even multiple select with the mouse.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eran

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Can't select multiple files in my computer
That's the flag my script toggles. I wrote it in a hurry to take care of the most common
manifestation of the problem -- the flag getting set & saved with a folder view. I need to add a
little more to the script to take care of those instances where the user used 'Apply to Folders'
with this flag applied.

Haven't been able to find out what's causing it. I've been asking users who post with the problem
for info but haven't gotten any feedback <Grrrrrrr>

--

<.> wrote in message news:OQfCf1KaHHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> causes it. Can you think of what apps you accessed this folder with or
>> anything you did differently with it?
>>
>> Here's a bare-bones script that should fix the problem. Right-click the
>> link & select 'Save to Disk'
>>
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip
>>
>> Close all explorer windows before running the script. Log off & back on
>> after running the script before you open any Explorer windows.
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Eran" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message news:%23kXr35GaHHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl and
>>> shift keys.
>>> I can't even multiple select with the mouse.

Eran

Re: Can't select multiple files in my computer
Thanks Keith, it worked.

I am not sure exactly what I did that caused it, but I have been trying to
get explorer to stick with the "List View" Setting. I can't stand it
changing for every folder. However, regardless of unchecking "Remember each
folder's view settings" and clicking the "Apply to all Folders" button, I
cannot get the "List View" to stick. Perhaps playing with these settings
caused the problem.

Any ideas on how I can get the "List View" to stick to all folders?

The article that Alexsey referenced suggests that if one was to delete all
subkeys of
HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags,
then it would reset all folder settings. The script you provided did update
these subkeys to fix the problem.

Thanks again,

Eran

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
It's a quirk that's been showing up on some machines. Don't know what
causes it. Can you think of what apps you accessed this folder with or
anything you did differently with it?

Here's a bare-bones script that should fix the problem. Right-click the
link & select 'Save to Disk'

http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip

Close all explorer windows before running the script. Log off & back on
after running the script before you open any Explorer windows.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Eran" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl
> and
> shift keys.
> I can't even multiple select with the mouse.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eran

Eran

Re: Can't select multiple files in my computer
Thanks for the link.
I actually ran the script that Keith posted. It basically automates what the
article says to all folders (bag entries).

It now works.

Thanks for the reply,
Eran

"Aleksey Tchekmarev" <atc7hekm7arev@ho7tma7il.co7m> wrote in message
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...istry_bags.htm
???
Have the same problem (don't know why and how it has appeared...)
Couldn't fix it (System Restore helped)... this link find only later.
Try it... and tell, please, about results! :-))

"Eran" <nospam@thank.you> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
> Hi,
>
> I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl
> and
> shift keys.
> I can't even multiple select with the mouse.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eran

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Can't select multiple files in my computer
You're welcome. Glad it's fixed.

If you happened to use 'Apply to Folders' from a folder that had the
SingleSelect problem, it may have gotten saved in another part of the
registry. I'm going to add repair functionality for that as well -- it's
just that I wrote the script in a hurry before leaving on a trip.

In Vista, 'Apply to Folders' now works on a per-template basis: All Items,
Documents, Pictures, Music Icons, Music Details, Videos & Contacts can each
have
different default settings. So you'll need to use 'Apply to Folders' once
for each folder type. Namespace folders such as Desktop, Computer, Control
Panel, etc are each their own type as well -- so they won't pick up the
default setting you have set. But they should remember their view once you
have changed it to your liking.

I know it seems like a hassle, but a lot of XP users were bothered by the
universal 'Apply to all folders' -- they may have wanted Artist & Album
columns in all their music folders, but those columns make no sense for
Pictures or Documents.

I'm trying to wrap my head around a way to script what users such as
yourself want -- a quick way to set some general view preferences. But no
promises on when I'll have that :-)

--

> Thanks Keith, it worked.
>
> I am not sure exactly what I did that caused it, but I have been trying to
> get explorer to stick with the "List View" Setting. I can't stand it
> changing for every folder. However, regardless of unchecking "Remember
> each
> folder's view settings" and clicking the "Apply to all Folders" button, I
> cannot get the "List View" to stick. Perhaps playing with these settings
> caused the problem.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get the "List View" to stick to all folders?
>
> The article that Alexsey referenced suggests that if one was to delete all
> subkeys of
> HKCU\Software\Classes\Local
> Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags,
> then it would reset all folder settings. The script you provided did
> update
> these subkeys to fix the problem.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Eran
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> It's a quirk that's been showing up on some machines. Don't know what
> causes it. Can you think of what apps you accessed this folder with or
> anything you did differently with it?
>
> Here's a bare-bones script that should fix the problem. Right-click the
> link & select 'Save to Disk'
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip
>
> Close all explorer windows before running the script. Log off & back on
> after running the script before you open any Explorer windows.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Eran" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl
>> and
>> shift keys.
>> I can't even multiple select with the mouse.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eran

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 01:30:17 -0700, "Eran" <nospam@thank.you> wrote:

>I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl and
>shift keys.
>I can't even multiple select with the mouse.

>Any ideas how to fix this?

Good news, bad news.

Good news: I've read about this and I know there's a fix

Bad news: I can't remember where...

Basically, what happens is that a particular bitmapped flag is
inappropriately set, so that all of Windows Explorer behaves as if it
were a "select one" dialog box, as is appropriate in various contexts
(e.g. "select Temp directory..." must get 1 and only 1 result).

There's a /kb article that enumerates these flags, as well as a how-to
apply this via RegEdit. But there's nothing in my browser favorites
or saved files, and I can't even remember whether it was in newsgroups
or private elists, let alone which :-(

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!

Re: Can't select multiple files in my computer
Scroll down to Kieth Miller's posts.

Or is it Keith Miller's posts.

K isn't C - what is happening here.

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in