Stupid Vista or me?

MeNAce01

Stupid Vista or me?

I've just tried to create a shortcut of the Music folder by dragging it
to the desktop, but instead vista places a duplicate (not a copy or a
shortcut) of the folder to the desktop.
It gets better, i then decided to delete what i thought was the music
folder shortcut located on the desktop and hastily clicked the yes
button to trash it.
I'm assuming the file names were too big for the bin, and lost over
1300 songs!

I'm just after some answers as to why vista does this?

Just FYI, the right way to get it off your desktop is to drag it back
to it's default folder.

--
MeNAce01
MeNAce01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48207

http://forums.techarena.in

Richard Urban

Re: Stupid Vista or me?
Drag to desktop = a move

ctrl + drag to desktop = a copy

You don't think that a duplicate is the same as a copy?? Why not?

I have never seen dragging to desktop create a shortcut! But then, maybe I
am deprived.

"MeNAce01" <MeNAce01.38x3nf@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I've just tried to create a shortcut of the Music folder by dragging it
> to the desktop, but instead vista places a duplicate (not a copy or a
> shortcut) of the folder to the desktop.
> It gets better, i then decided to delete what i thought was the music
> folder shortcut located on the desktop and hastily clicked the yes
> button to trash it.
> I'm assuming the file names were too big for the bin, and lost over
> 1300 songs!
>
> I'm just after some answers as to why vista does this?
>
> Just FYI, the right way to get it off your desktop is to drag it back
> to it's default folder.
>

> --
> MeNAce01
> MeNAce01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48207
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=961926
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

John

Re: Stupid Vista or me?
You can right click and drag and get the choice to create a shortcut
john

Richard Urban wrote:
> Drag to desktop = a move
>
> ctrl + drag to desktop = a copy
>
> You don't think that a duplicate is the same as a copy?? Why not?
>
> I have never seen dragging to desktop create a shortcut! But then, maybe
> I am deprived.
>

> "MeNAce01" <MeNAce01.38x3nf@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I've just tried to create a shortcut of the Music folder by dragging it
>> to the desktop, but instead vista places a duplicate (not a copy or a
>> shortcut) of the folder to the desktop.
>> It gets better, i then decided to delete what i thought was the music
>> folder shortcut located on the desktop and hastily clicked the yes
>> button to trash it.
>> I'm assuming the file names were too big for the bin, and lost over
>> 1300 songs!
>>
>> I'm just after some answers as to why vista does this?
>>
>> Just FYI, the right way to get it off your desktop is to drag it back
>> to it's default folder.
>>

>> --
>> MeNAce01
>> MeNAce01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48207
>> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=961926
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in

Richard Urban

Re: Stupid Vista or me?
But the O/P didn't SAY right click drag. He implied a normal drag!

"John" <john6528@comcast.com> wrote in message
> You can right click and drag and get the choice to create a shortcut
> john
>
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> Drag to desktop = a move
>>
>> ctrl + drag to desktop = a copy
>>
>> You don't think that a duplicate is the same as a copy?? Why not?
>>
>> I have never seen dragging to desktop create a shortcut! But then, maybe
>> I am deprived.
>>

>> "MeNAce01" <MeNAce01.38x3nf@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I've just tried to create a shortcut of the Music folder by dragging it
>>> to the desktop, but instead vista places a duplicate (not a copy or a
>>> shortcut) of the folder to the desktop.
>>> It gets better, i then decided to delete what i thought was the music
>>> folder shortcut located on the desktop and hastily clicked the yes
>>> button to trash it.
>>> I'm assuming the file names were too big for the bin, and lost over
>>> 1300 songs!
>>>
>>> I'm just after some answers as to why vista does this?
>>>
>>> Just FYI, the right way to get it off your desktop is to drag it back
>>> to it's default folder.
>>>

>>> --
>>> MeNAce01
>>> MeNAce01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48207
>>> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=961926
>>>
>>> http://forums.techarena.in

t-4-2

Re: Stupid Vista or me?

MeNAce01;702905 Wrote:
> I've just tried to create a shortcut of the Music folder by dragging it
> to the desktop, but instead vista places a duplicate (not a copy or a
> shortcut) of the folder to the desktop.
> It gets better, i then decided to delete what i thought was the music
> folder shortcut located on the desktop and hastily clicked the yes
> button to trash it.
> I'm assuming the file names were too big for the bin, and lost over
> 1300 songs!
>
> I'm just after some answers as to why vista does this?
>
> Just FYI, the right way to get it off your desktop is to drag it back
> to it's default folder.
>

> --
> MeNAce01
> MeNAce01's Profile: 'MeNAce01's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
> Support Forums of India'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48207)
> View this thread: 'Stupid Vista or me? - Vista File Management'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=961926)
>
> 'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
> of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

Hello MeNAce01,
1. When you want a shortcut of any file/folder, right click. One of the
options will be " create a shortcut". Not a good idea to move a folder
from it's original location, particularly if it has a shortcut on the
desktop.
2. The recycle bin is capable to hold "garbage" equivalent to 10% of
your hard drive available space. Over that it will start purging old
ones . Without knowing how big was the TOTAL size of the music folder,
as well as how much space is left availabe in your C drive, I would
speculate that the size of the music folder exceeds that 10% quota, thus
you lost some music files. You might want to check how much space left
in your C drive. If it's low, you might want to decrese the size number
of your recycle bin.

--
t-4-2
tophy

Re: Stupid Vista or me?
On Mon, 5 May 2008 08:34:58 +0530, MeNAce01
<MeNAce01.38x3nf@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>I'm assuming the file names were too big for the bin, and lost over
>1300 songs!

So, that's shortcuts but I'm concerned about your songs! If all other
avenues exhausted try to recover what you can with this
http://www.pandorarecovery.com/download/

DevilsPGD

Re: Stupid Vista or me?
In message <O34U2QmrIHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>But the O/P didn't SAY right click drag. He implied a normal drag!

Correct -- Dragging a folder is not the correct way to create a
shortcut, dragging a folder either copies or moves the folder, depending
on the context.
MeNAce01

Re: Stupid Vista or me?

Richard Urban;3712559 Wrote:
> Drag to desktop = a move
>
> ctrl + drag to desktop = a copy
>
> You don't think that a duplicate is the same as a copy?? Why not?
>
> I have never seen dragging to desktop create a shortcut! But then,
> maybe I
> am deprived.

It's not a copy because if I delete one folder both are deleted, this
only happens with the Green folders eg. Music, Videos, Documents

t-4-2;3712563 Wrote:

> 2. The recycle bin is capable to hold "garbage" equivalent to 10% of
> your hard drive available space. Over that it will start purging old
> ones . Without knowing how big was the TOTAL size of the music folder,
> as well as how much space is left availabe in your C drive, I would
> speculate that the size of the music folder exceeds that 10% quota,
> thus
> you lost some music files. You might want to check how much space left
> in your C drive. If it's low, you might want to decrese the size
> number
> of your recycle bin.

I have 2x250G raid0 and around 100GB free. and the 1300 songs were only
around 7-8GBs
tophy;3713149 Wrote:

> >I'm assuming the file names were too big for the bin, and lost over
> >1300 songs!

> So, that's shortcuts but I'm concerned about your songs! If all other
> avenues exhausted try to recover what you can with this
> http://www.pandorarecovery.com/download/

Thanks I'll give it a try.

--
MeNAce01
MeNAce01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48207
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=961926

http://forums.techarena.in

Bender

Re: Stupid Vista or me?
If your drag and drop target is a different hard drive volume than your
source, the drop action is a copy rather than a move.

"MeNAce01" <MeNAce01.38x3nf@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I've just tried to create a shortcut of the Music folder by dragging it
> to the desktop, but instead vista places a duplicate (not a copy or a
> shortcut) of the folder to the desktop.
> It gets better, i then decided to delete what i thought was the music
> folder shortcut located on the desktop and hastily clicked the yes
> button to trash it.
> I'm assuming the file names were too big for the bin, and lost over
> 1300 songs!
>
> I'm just after some answers as to why vista does this?
>
> Just FYI, the right way to get it off your desktop is to drag it back
> to it's default folder.
>

> --
> MeNAce01
> MeNAce01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48207
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=961926
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Stupid Vista or me?
On Tue, 6 May 2008 01:10:00 -0700, "Bender"
<imnotgivingmynametoa@machine.net> wrote:

> If your drag and drop target is a different hard drive volume than your
> source, the drop action is a copy rather than a move.

Personally, I find the rule for whether it's a copy or a move
unintuitive and hard to remember. So my preference is always to
*right* drag, which results in my being prompted for which it is.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup