How to label files by color in Explorer....

Jeff Ingram

How to label files by color in Explorer....
Hello,

I was wondering if Vista will allow one to label files (file icons,
whatever) with a different color in the same way that the Apple Macintosh
does. I had searched for a way to do this in XP (never found a way) but was
curious if they had added this functionality in Vista.

I'd like to be able to do this so that I could mark which (large) files I've
backed up to DVD and which ones I haven't. It would be easier to keep track
of that if I could label the files in different colors.

Please let me know if anyone has any clues on how to do this in Vista or
with some other file manager that works in Vista.

Thanks,

Jeff

Adam Albright

Re: How to label files by color in Explorer.... - Folder with custom artwork.JPG (0/1)
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:21:15 -0400, "Jeff Ingram"
<ingramje29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was wondering if Vista will allow one to label files (file icons,
>whatever) with a different color in the same way that the Apple Macintosh
>does. I had searched for a way to do this in XP (never found a way) but was
>curious if they had added this functionality in Vista.
>
>I'd like to be able to do this so that I could mark which (large) files I've
>backed up to DVD and which ones I haven't. It would be easier to keep track
>of that if I could label the files in different colors.
>
>Please let me know if anyone has any clues on how to do this in Vista or
>with some other file manager that works in Vista.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff

That would be nice, but no, not exactly. However you can add tags to
many kinds of data and image files (right click-properties-details
tab)or if you want to get a little creative you can add customized
artwork to show what's in your folders.

Advanced tip:

1. Open your favorite graphic program. I used Photoshop. Create a new
blank image, I used 140 width by 200 height in pixels. No reason,
just eyeballed it for testing. I'm using fairly high resolution
at 1920x1280 if you're not running that high make the blank
smaller.

2. Next I applied a gradient to add some color and a little varation.
Not necessary, but since graphics is what I do, why not.

3. Then I just typed a label 'Done', aligned vertically and moved this
layer to near the right size of the background.

4. Merge from the Layers menu to combine the background and text.

5. I saved as test.jpg but you may want to save in another format if
you to make it transparant or something more fancy.

Now go to Windows Explorer and click on a folder you would like to
decorate. I picked my "F" drive folder. Right click on it, then
properties, then click on customize. Under Folder pictures, choose
file then navigate to where you saved the artwork you just made, click
open, apply and finally ok.

Now go back to the Windows Explorer, left pane and see the effect. I
now see a gradiant fill pale tan sheet inside the open folder icon
with the words 'done' in red text. The effect is as if you stuck a
loose page inside a folder with this sheet sticking out a bit. If you
have Aero enabled a rather striking effect since the folder icon and
the art work you just made is displayed in 3D and each cast their own
shadow.

You can continue on and make different inserts for each of your key
folders. ;-) Or you can view this as just a huge waste of time.

Don't know if this will get pass filters on some news servers but
attaching a small image of what it looks like

Steve Thackery

Re: How to label files by color in Explorer.... - Folder with custom artwork.JPG (0/1)
Great tip - thanks!

Steve