Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

deleting files in "virtuial store"

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2007
Mike
 

Posts: n/a
deleting files in "virtuial store"
I have noticed that even though I have removed programs from the computer I
find that they are still in the following location.
C:\users\Computer-user\appdata\local\virtual store\program files

\program data

\windows
Computer-user is the name of the current user...
My question is it safe to delete or erase the data in the above 3 locations
in the virtual store?

thanks in advance
Mike

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: deleting files in "virtuial store"
Yes, these can be removed. The Virtual Store is where Vista compliant
programs typically store files that need global write/access permissions
such as data, .ini, and configuration files. This is part of the
Virtualization model in Vista.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"Mike" <mrbauer@wl.eyecom.com> wrote in message
news:2B8738AA-19F9-4E1F-88FB-43009BBB6230@microsoft.com...
>I have noticed that even though I have removed programs from the computer I
> find that they are still in the following location.
> C:\users\Computer-user\appdata\local\virtual store\program files
>
> \program data
>
> \windows
> Computer-user is the name of the current user...
> My question is it safe to delete or erase the data in the above 3
> locations
> in the virtual store?
>
> thanks in advance
> Mike
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2007
Daniel Noll
 

Posts: n/a
Re: deleting files in "virtuial store"
Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:
> Yes, these can be removed. The Virtual Store is where Vista compliant
> programs typically store files that need global write/access permissions
> such as data, .ini, and configuration files. This is part of the
> Virtualization model in Vista.


That should be "Vista non-compliant", right? I've noticed that all my
legacy applications store stuff in that directory even though the app
itself tries to write to Program Files. Presumably a compliant app
would store its data somewhere in AppData instead.

Daniel

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: deleting files in "virtuial store"
Daniel

<inline>


"Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
news:uRjXLu7fHHA.4868@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:
>> Yes, these can be removed. The Virtual Store is where Vista compliant
>> programs typically store files that need global write/access permissions
>> such as data, .ini, and configuration files. This is part of the
>> Virtualization model in Vista.

>
> That should be "Vista non-compliant", right?


**Yes, Non-Compliant. Thanks for catching that.

I've noticed that all my
> legacy applications store stuff in that directory even though the app
> itself tries to write to Program Files. Presumably a compliant app would
> store its data somewhere in AppData instead.


Yes, Program Files restricts programs from writing there, after they are
installed.

The programs can now write to C:\ProgramData\<program name> without
restriction.

>
> Daniel
>

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Windows Mail can compact the message store" =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgaW4gR0E=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 153 08-09-2010 01:59
"User's Files" folder and Shell Folders like Documents, Desktop, M =?Utf-8?B?Zmx1eCBidXJuZXI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 08:43
Re: Anyone have problems running "*.HLP" files under Windows Vista (Beta)? Michael Jennings microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 12 02-28-2007 22:19
WM5 Sync with Vista "Windows Calender", "Contacts", and "Mail" =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-17-2007 01:20
deleting "Imported Folder" Dale I. Jones microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 0 02-08-2007 16:35




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120