File indexing in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=

File indexing in Vista
The Search toolbar in the new vista startup menu will search all files in the
Personal folder, and the file index can be modified to include any other
folders on the local hard drive, but it doesnt seem possible to index a
network drive. Each user at my company has a network drive that they are
directed to save all their files on, I cant believe ours would be the only
compnay to do that. Is there a way to get the search to index network drives
or is this new windows feature a total waste of time for users at their
workplace?
Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: File indexing in Vista
Search on network drives is not available YET. It will work with windows
"longhorn" and I believe they are also going to be releasing updates to
server 2003 to allow it to work with Vista Search. This is one of the
reasons why the 1st service pack for Vista and Longhorn are being released
at the same time...

Jeff

"Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The Search toolbar in the new vista startup menu will search all files in
> the
> Personal folder, and the file index can be modified to include any other
> folders on the local hard drive, but it doesnt seem possible to index a
> network drive. Each user at my company has a network drive that they are
> directed to save all their files on, I cant believe ours would be the only
> compnay to do that. Is there a way to get the search to index network
> drives
> or is this new windows feature a total waste of time for users at their
> workplace?

DevilsPGD

Re: File indexing in Vista
In message <0AF4CFD9-3F5D-4B92-8AAF-845D6C11FC02@microsoft.com> "Jeffrey
S. Sparks" <jssparks@spam.bccinfo.com> wrote:

>Search on network drives is not available YET. It will work with windows
>"longhorn" and I believe they are also going to be releasing updates to
>server 2003 to allow it to work with Vista Search. This is one of the
>reasons why the 1st service pack for Vista and Longhorn are being released
>at the same time...

However, offline files CAN be indexed, which adds a bit of flexibility.
--
Insert something clever here.
james3mg

Re: File indexing in Vista
> However, offline files CAN be indexed, which adds a bit of flexibility.

and yet, even once I have this option selected, if I open up a folder on my
network drive (which is administratively forced to be available offline via
gpedit.msc, and is listed as being both available offline and currently
online) with the following contents:

<test_directory> (a directory)
test_file.txt
another file.txt

and use the quick search box (the one in the top-right of every Explorer
window) to search for "test" (no quotes) or "file" (also no quotes), it tells
me "No items match your search". So does indexing offline files actually do
anything? It seems like an explorer window's search box should at least be
able to 'filter' the view of the current folder based on at least file
names...is this really something I have to wait for Server 2008 for, or am I
missing some configuration after telling it to index my offline files that
would let this feature work?
Brent

Re: File indexing in Vista
Ditto. Have tried from my work vista SOE, and from home. Same results
Has anyone got this working?

"james3mg" wrote:

> > However, offline files CAN be indexed, which adds a bit of flexibility.

> and yet, even once I have this option selected, if I open up a folder on my
> network drive (which is administratively forced to be available offline via
> gpedit.msc, and is listed as being both available offline and currently
> online) with the following contents:
>
> <test_directory> (a directory)
> test_file.txt
> another file.txt
>
> and use the quick search box (the one in the top-right of every Explorer
> window) to search for "test" (no quotes) or "file" (also no quotes), it tells
> me "No items match your search". So does indexing offline files actually do
> anything? It seems like an explorer window's search box should at least be
> able to 'filter' the view of the current folder based on at least file
> names...is this really something I have to wait for Server 2008 for, or am I
> missing some configuration after telling it to index my offline files that
> would let this feature work?

Indexing problem with Vista and Outlook 2007 =?Utf-8?B?UnVzc2VsbA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 5 02-09-2009 15:01
Vista & indexing network drives =?Utf-8?B?VmFsaXN5c3RlbQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 14 09-04-2008 13:12
Indexing PDF Files on Vista Puppy Breath microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 22 08-23-2007 17:19
Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search bvandew microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 13 04-24-2007 21:15
Vista not indexing particular folder =?Utf-8?B?UmFqZXNo?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 02-28-2007 14:14