Large File Icons appear all white when I open a folder

domo1944 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Large File Icons appear all white when I open a folder
When I open a folder of files anywhere in Vista Ultimate, the file icons appear all white (blank) with the file name underneath. If I switch the View to medium or extra large file icons they appear normal and when I switch the view back to large, they again appear normal. However, after a few minutes, when I open the same folder, they are again all white (blank).

I anyone else having this problem and is there a solution?
Brad

Re: Large File Icons appear all white when I open a folder
I Am having the exact same issue. Have been seraching the Internet for
days, and have only come across this and another post.

I am hoping someone out there has an idea on fixing this!

Brad

"domo1944" <domo1944.38680f@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> When I open a folder of files anywhere in Vista Ultimate, the file icons
> appear all white (blank) with the file name underneath. If I switch the
> View to medium or extra large file icons they appear normal and when I
> switch the view back to large, they again appear normal. However, after
> a few minutes, when I open the same folder, they are again all white
> (blank).
>
> I anyone else having this problem and is there a solution?
>

> --
> domo1944

lukvdh

Brad;3705542 Wrote:
> I Am having the exact same issue. Have been seraching the Internet for
> days, and have only come across this and another post.
>
> I am hoping someone out there has an idea on fixing this!
>
> Brad

Add me to the list. I've many many sleepless nights for over a week now
trying to solve this.

I also can't set a jpg as wallpaper anymore, jpg have wrong icons and
the wallpaper just changes in a black background. I feel these problems
are related (but I can't figure out how....)

Hope someone finds a solution soon, or I will have to reformat and
start all over again (notebook PC with only OEM remastering DVDs....)

--
lukvdh
lukvdh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48007

http://forums.techarena.in

domo1944 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Large File Icons appear all white when I open a folder
Yes, my desktop also randomly turns to black from one of the Dreamscapes. I'm almost certain this is a virus or worm.
lukvdh

domo1944;3708389 Wrote:
> Yes, my desktop also randomly turns to black from one of the
> Dreamscapes. I'm almost certain this is a virus or worm.
>

> --
> domo1944

On my PC trouble 'indeed' started after removing some adware.
I have now "all adware- and virusscanners" saying my PC is completely
clean. But I guess in the process of cleaning something was changed (in
the registry I guess, I replaced all .dll-files and .exe-files which I
know be be involved and this did not change the trouble).

I spend many days and sleepless nights in trying tot figure it out
(comparing things with my other PC) but no luck so far.
Very frustrating....

--
lukvdh
lukvdh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48007
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=953878

http://forums.techarena.in

Brad

Re: Large File Icons appear all white when I open a folder
The icons we appear to be missing seem to be (from waht I can find) stored
in the "Windows\System32\imagres.dll" file.

When I try to change one of the blank icons using the Change Icon option, a
message comes up "The file imagres.dll contains no icons".

On my other computer that works perfectly, imageres.dll does open and
dispalys a full set of icons. I copied imageres from the good computer to
this one and it made no difference. So my guess is the actual file is fine
and something else is causing our problem...

Hoping for some answers....

Brad

"lukvh" <lukvdh.38ss3e@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> domo1944;3708389 Wrote:
>> Yes, my desktop also randomly turns to black from one of the
>> Dreamscapes. I'm almost certain this is a virus or worm.
>>

>> --
>> domo1944

> On my PC trouble 'indeed' started after removing some adware.
> I have now "all adware- and virusscanners" saying my PC is completely
> clean. But I guess in the process of cleaning something was changed (in
> the registry I guess, I replaced all .dll-files and .exe-files which I
> know be be involved and this did not change the trouble).
>
> I spend many days and sleepless nights in trying tot figure it out
> (comparing things with my other PC) but no luck so far.
> Very frustrating....
>

> --
> lukvdh
> lukvdh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48007
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=953878
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

XweAponX

Which is the original post?
I found this exact topic HERE:

http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.a...-open-a-folder

Word for Word, username by username.

Which one is the original?

Also, I think IMAGERES gets corrupted due to VIRTUMONDO virus- But I think it is new, and VundoFix does not fix it- And ComboFix does not work in Vista Ultimate (and/or the virus is preventing it from working)
DDW

Re: Which is the original post?
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:23:44 -0700, XweAponX wrote:

>I found this exact topic HERE:
>
>http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.a...-open-a-folder
>
>Word for Word, username by username.
>
>Which one is the original?

The posts on the MS servers. Any found elsewhere have been scrounged
from them.
R. C. White

Re: Which is the original post?
Hi, XweAponX.

I see that your post originated on VistaHeads. Did you KNOW that it was
being relayed to the Microsoft public news server?

These newsgroups are originally hosted HERE on the Microsoft public news
servers. They are free and do NOT require a login. Therefore, many other
organizations (like VistaHeads or WindowsKB) simply "slurp" messages from
here and relay them - and any responses - back and forth to and from their
own subscribers. The relay process often results in messages that are
delayed or out of sequence or simply lost. Many of these other
organizations generate revenue for themselves by posting advertisements on
their sites. In other words, they are making money from information posted
freely by others, usually without informing their subscribers and without
even giving credit to Microsoft for hosting the server for the original
posts. Many of those forums' subscribers expect that, since they must
register and use a password to post and to read responses, their posts there
are private or protected in some way, and they don't even realize that the
"forum" has relayed their questions and comments to the whole
no-password-required Usenet world.

Another problem is that the proprietary "forums" do not forward ALL their
own original posts to the Microsoft servers. Therefore, we quite often get
into the middle of a conversation. The first post that we see starts off,
"I'm having exactly the same problem." But we have no clue as to what "the
same problem" is because earlier messages in the thread have not been
forwarded to this Microsoft newsgroup. Also, other users of that forum may
have already posted responses, but those responses have not been forwarded
to the MS newsgroups, so we duplicate the effort that has already been done.
The forums also do not always relay all the responses posted here on the MS
servers.

Those forums do provide a useful service by providing more ways for users to
find help. And some experts who hang out in those forums do not often visit
these newsgroups. But the forums also create a lot of confusion by not
telling their users plainly enough and often enough just how their system
works.

You can "cut out the middleman" and reach the MS public servers directly,
using your default newsreader, by simply clicking here:

Or you can read the same messages in Microsoft Communities, using your
default web browser, by clicking here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... e_management

You can try both methods and see which you like better. Microsoft is trying
hard to sell us on the web-based interface and many users like that
approach, but I much prefer the newsreader, and so do most newsgroup
regulars that I know. And, sometimes, the proprietary forums are the best
place to look, but you need to understand just what you are seeing.

This long-winded explanation is not just for you, XweAponX, but also for all
the other readers who may have been wondering the same thing. ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"XweAponX" wrote in message news:2008810142341socialspit@gmail.com...
> I found this exact topic HERE:
>
> http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.a...-open-a-folder
>
> Word for Word, username by username.
>
> Which one is the original?
>
> Also, I think IMAGERES gets corrupted due to VIRTUMONDO virus- But I think
> it is new, and VundoFix does not fix it- And ComboFix does not work in
> Vista Ultimate (and/or the virus is preventing it from working)

domo1944 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to the clue from XweAponX, I was able to fix my problem. In my case, VundoFix highlighted the following files for removal but was not able to remove them. After copying them down, I deleted each one using Magic Utilities.

The files were all located in C:\windows\system32

\NCTAudiograbber2.dll
\NCTAudiofile2.dll
\NCTAudioplayer2.dll
\NCTAudioRecord2.dll
\NCTAVIFile.dll
\NCTQuicktime.dll
\NCTRMFile.dll
\NCTVideoCoreM.dll
\NCTWMAFile2.dll

After deleting the files and rebooting, folder icons are back to normal. It's been a long road to the fix and the clue from XweAponX is much appreciated. Hope this helps the otehrs who had the same problem.