Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Desktop - Why are There 2??

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008
C and A Bredt
 

Posts: n/a
Desktop - Why are There 2??
I am the only user on my Vista Home Premium system. When I click Documents
in the Start Menu, there are two Desktops - one at the top of folders and
one under my Username. I am trying to figure out why there are 2 Desktops.

--
C and A Bredt
Dell Inspiron 530
Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
Vista Home Premium

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Desktop - Why are There 2??
C and A Bredt wrote:

> I am the only user on my Vista Home Premium system. When I click Documents
> in the Start Menu, there are two Desktops - one at the top of folders and
> one under my Username. I am trying to figure out why there are 2 Desktops.
>


There aren't two Desktops for your user account, only one. There are just
two shortcuts to it. I can't answer why the Vista graphical user interface
designers thought that would be A Good Thing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2008
C and A Bredt
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Desktop - Why are There 2??
There is one Desktop for my User Account, but there also seems to be a
Global Desktop that is at the top of Folders when I opem Documents. CB

--
C and A Bredt
"Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:u0vGU96nIHA.1740@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>C and A Bredt wrote:
>
>> I am the only user on my Vista Home Premium system. When I click
>> Documents
>> in the Start Menu, there are two Desktops - one at the top of folders and
>> one under my Username. I am trying to figure out why there are 2
>> Desktops.
>>

>
> There aren't two Desktops for your user account, only one. There are just
> two shortcuts to it. I can't answer why the Vista graphical user interface
> designers thought that would be A Good Thing.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Desktop - Why are There 2??
"C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-this@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Ol6zzbKoIHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> There is one Desktop for my User Account, but there also seems to be a
> Global Desktop that is at the top of Folders when I opem Documents. CB


Yes I have two. Does it matter?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Desktop - Why are There 2??
C and A Bredt wrote:

> There is one Desktop for my User Account, but there also seems to be a
> Global Desktop that is at the top of Folders when I opem Documents. CB
>


Perhaps you are thinking about the Public folders. Basically, there is the
main Users directory and each user account will have its personal folders
(Documents, Downloads, Music, etc.) under that. Ex.:

C:\Users\your-username\Documents

In addition to the directories for each user, there is a Default User (think
of this as a template used when new user accounts are created) and folders
that apply to All Users on the system. These are called "Public folders" in
Vista and "All Users" in XP.

This sort of file hierarchy is common to all true multi-user operating
systems - NT, Win2K, XP, Vista, Mac OS X, Linux, Unix, etc.

So to repeat my first post to you: you do not have two of everything. You
have one of everything and possibly multiple shortcuts. This is normal.

Did you have some sort of problem with this or were you just not sure what
you were seeing?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2008
C and A Bredt
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Desktop - Why are There 2??

"Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:OgDmVvMoIHA.5096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>C and A Bredt wrote:
>
>> There is one Desktop for my User Account, but there also seems to be a
>> Global Desktop that is at the top of Folders when I opem Documents. CB
>>

>
> Perhaps you are thinking about the Public folders. Basically, there is the
> main Users directory and each user account will have its personal folders
> (Documents, Downloads, Music, etc.) under that. Ex.:
>
> C:\Users\your-username\Documents
>
> In addition to the directories for each user, there is a Default User
> (think
> of this as a template used when new user accounts are created) and folders
> that apply to All Users on the system. These are called "Public folders"
> in
> Vista and "All Users" in XP.
>
> This sort of file hierarchy is common to all true multi-user operating
> systems - NT, Win2K, XP, Vista, Mac OS X, Linux, Unix, etc.
>
> So to repeat my first post to you: you do not have two of everything. You
> have one of everything and possibly multiple shortcuts. This is normal.
>
> Did you have some sort of problem with this or were you just not sure what
> you were seeing?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!


Perhaps I am not making myself clear. I am the only user on my system
besides the Public User whose folders are empty except for Sample Music and
Sample Pictures.

When I click Start, Username and look on the left side of the screen where
Folders are displayed there is a folder called "Desktop" ABOVE my Username
folder. It contains these folders: Username, Public, Computer, Network,
Control Panel, Recycle Bin and my own folders that I have on my desktop. It
also contains all of the files and shortcuts that are actually on my
desktop.

BELOW my Username is Contacts, Desktop, Documents, etc. It also contains
folders and files and shortcuts that are actually on my desktop, BUT not all
of them.

So - the problem is that when I want to backup the files and folders and
shortcuts that are on my desktop, I have to do it from the topmost Desktop
and be careful not to include Recycle Bin, Computer, etc.

Of course I can do that, but I'd like to understand why there are 2 Desktops
--
C and A Bredt
Dell Inspiron 530
Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
Vista Home Premium

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Desktop - Why are There 2??
C and A Bredt wrote:


> Perhaps I am not making myself clear. I am the only user on my system
> besides the Public User whose folders are empty except for Sample Music
> and Sample Pictures.
>
> When I click Start, Username and look on the left side of the screen where
> Folders are displayed there is a folder called "Desktop" ABOVE my Username
> folder. It contains these folders: Username, Public, Computer, Network,
> Control Panel, Recycle Bin and my own folders that I have on my desktop.
> It also contains all of the files and shortcuts that are actually on my
> desktop.
>
> BELOW my Username is Contacts, Desktop, Documents, etc. It also contains
> folders and files and shortcuts that are actually on my desktop, BUT not
> all of them.
>
> So - the problem is that when I want to backup the files and folders and
> shortcuts that are on my desktop, I have to do it from the topmost Desktop
> and be careful not to include Recycle Bin, Computer, etc.
>
> Of course I can do that, but I'd like to understand why there are 2
> Desktops


There are not two Desktops. Don't use those shortcuts when you want to back
up if they are confusing. Put an icon leading to your user account on the
Desktop (if there isn't one there already) and double-click it when you
want to see everything that is under that account. And yes, there is a
Desktop directory under your user account because each user has their own
Desktop. If you are still confused about what you are seeing, have a
knowledgeable friend or family member (someone who really *is*
knowledgeable and not just saying he is) come over to help you. I just
don't know what else I can tell you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2008
C and A Bredt
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Desktop - Why are There 2??
"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:fu7tu8$fco$1@news.mixmin.net...
> "C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-this@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:Ol6zzbKoIHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> There is one Desktop for my User Account, but there also seems to be a
>> Global Desktop that is at the top of Folders when I opem Documents. CB

>
> Yes I have two. Does it matter?

Thank you, thank you for verifying that it is not just me. In XP there was
an All Users Desktop foldert that applied to all users. Maybe the top one is
like that.

It matters because I don't understand why a shortcut that I create on my
actual computer desktop sometimes goes into both folders and sometimes just
into the topmost/global one.

CB
--
C and A Bredt

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running vista, and my desktop went black, and desktop icon went aw redrunner89 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-05-2008 19:33
desktop files moved to another folder under \favorites\desktop. Eli microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 07-26-2007 10:53




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:35.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120