reassign user profiles to a different drive

=?Utf-8?B?TW9ua2V5IHRlYWNo?=

reassign user profiles to a different drive
I have an 80GB internal hard drive and an external hard drive. I want to put
all the public folders and user folders (which include documents, pictures,
music etc.) onto the external drive to save space for the OS and programs on
the internal drive. I would like to know if one can transfer these files and
have windows change the directory associated with those files so that they
may be accessed through the personal folder. Is this possible?

thanks in advance for your help!
Arthur Dent

Re: reassign user profiles to a different drive
You can simply right click each of the folders, click Properties and go to
the "Location" tab and change it.

When it asks about moving all files, say Yes, otherwise you'll have two of
the folder showing up in explorer.

"Monkey teach" <Monkey teach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an 80GB internal hard drive and an external hard drive. I want to
>put
> all the public folders and user folders (which include documents,
> pictures,
> music etc.) onto the external drive to save space for the OS and programs
> on
> the internal drive. I would like to know if one can transfer these files
> and
> have windows change the directory associated with those files so that they
> may be accessed through the personal folder. Is this possible?
>
> thanks in advance for your help!

João Guilherme

Re: reassign user profiles to a different drive
The Only problem is that tha main profile folder wouldn't be moved by this
action.
I guess the other guy wanted (as well as I do) was to move the profile
folder along with it's subfolders to another hard disk.

Is it possible?

"Arthur Dent" wrote:

> You can simply right click each of the folders, click Properties and go to
> the "Location" tab and change it.
>
> When it asks about moving all files, say Yes, otherwise you'll have two of
> the folder showing up in explorer.
>
> "Monkey teach" <Monkey teach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an 80GB internal hard drive and an external hard drive. I want to
> >put
> > all the public folders and user folders (which include documents,
> > pictures,
> > music etc.) onto the external drive to save space for the OS and programs
> > on
> > the internal drive. I would like to know if one can transfer these files
> > and
> > have windows change the directory associated with those files so that they
> > may be accessed through the personal folder. Is this possible?
> >
> > thanks in advance for your help!

Steven Andrews

João Guilherme wrote:
> The Only problem is that tha main profile folder wouldn't be moved by this
> action.
> I guess the other guy wanted (as well as I do) was to move the profile
> folder along with it's subfolders to another hard disk.
>
> Is it possible?
>
> "Arthur Dent" wrote:
>
>> You can simply right click each of the folders, click Properties and go to
>> the "Location" tab and change it.
>>
>> When it asks about moving all files, say Yes, otherwise you'll have two of
>> the folder showing up in explorer.
>>
>> "Monkey teach" <Monkey teach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have an 80GB internal hard drive and an external hard drive. I want to
>>> put
>>> all the public folders and user folders (which include documents,
>>> pictures,
>>> music etc.) onto the external drive to save space for the OS and programs
>>> on
>>> the internal drive. I would like to know if one can transfer these files
>>> and
>>> have windows change the directory associated with those files so that they
>>> may be accessed through the personal folder. Is this possible?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance for your help!

System Properties -> advanced -> User profiles -> Select the profile you
want to move and select copy to -> Type in the path, or browse to it.
Make a backup copy before "just in case".

Please let us know how it went.

Steve