Vista search difficulty

RSD78

Vista search difficulty
I can't find a way to search for file types in Vista without entering part of
a file name. For example, if I want to search my C drive for all PDF files
or all photos, the search function won't work without entering text from a
file name (which doesn't work, because all files of a particular type don't
necessarily share letters or characteristics in their names). Has anyone
else experienced this problem, or am I missing something? Thanks for any
help you can offer.

- Rich
Dave

Re: Vista search difficulty
to search for files with the .pdf extension....
extdf

for pictures......
kindics

Look at this link for others....
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/des...ced.mspx#EXRAE

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"RSD78" <RSD78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can't find a way to search for file types in Vista without entering part
> of
> a file name. For example, if I want to search my C drive for all PDF
> files
> or all photos, the search function won't work without entering text from a
> file name (which doesn't work, because all files of a particular type
> don't
> necessarily share letters or characteristics in their names). Has anyone
> else experienced this problem, or am I missing something? Thanks for any
> help you can offer.
>
> - Rich

sanderl

RE: Vista search difficulty
I always search on '.pdf' or '.doc' or if I want all files in some folders I
select them and search for '.'

but it would be great when microsoft integrade the search-function of
windows 98, because there you could search on name/date (create, last edited,
....)/file type/file size
(I use windows 98 as example, I don't know if the other windows-versions had
the same 'file searching')

"RSD78" wrote:

> I can't find a way to search for file types in Vista without entering part of
> a file name. For example, if I want to search my C drive for all PDF files
> or all photos, the search function won't work without entering text from a
> file name (which doesn't work, because all files of a particular type don't
> necessarily share letters or characteristics in their names). Has anyone
> else experienced this problem, or am I missing something? Thanks for any
> help you can offer.
>
> - Rich

Charles W Davis

Re: Vista search difficulty
Open Search, click on Advanced Search...
"sanderl" <sanderl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3933804-1782-48FE-A2B5-A03F0347CC44@microsoft.com...
>I always search on '.pdf' or '.doc' or if I want all files in some folders
> select them and search for '.'
>
> but it would be great when microsoft integrade the search-function of
> windows 98, because there you could search on name/date (create, last
> edited,
> ...)/file type/file size
> (I use windows 98 as example, I don't know if the other windows-versions
> had
> the same 'file searching')
>
> "RSD78" wrote:
>
>> I can't find a way to search for file types in Vista without entering
>> part of
>> a file name. For example, if I want to search my C drive for all PDF
>> files
>> or all photos, the search function won't work without entering text from
>> file name (which doesn't work, because all files of a particular type
>> don't
>> necessarily share letters or characteristics in their names). Has anyone
>> else experienced this problem, or am I missing something? Thanks for any
>> help you can offer.
>>
>> - Rich

mrgr8avill

Re: Vista search difficulty

Vista takes regular expressions, but the easiest way I have used it is
the asterisk, which means "any number of any character."

to find all WORD 2007 and PDF files:

*.pdf

--
mrgr8avill
mrgr8avill

Re: Vista search difficulty

Vista takes regular expressions, but the easiest way I have used it is
the asterisk, which means "any number of any character."

to find all WORD 2007 and PDF files:

*.pdf OR *.doc

to find all Word 2003 and Word 2007 documents:

either *.doc OR *.docx
or *.doc*

to find happy.jpg, crappy.jpg, snappy.jpg, grandpappy.jpg use

*appy*.jpg

remember that Vista likes OR instead of commas when searching for more
than one thing.

hope this helps. Good luck!!

--
mrgr8avill