Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)

Arthur Dent

Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done in
Vista...

I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any explorer
window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to your
favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs, etc.

I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a file
type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files. Now, i
know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not the
preferred way to go for numerous reasons.

Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the gui.
Thanks in advance!
- Arthur Dent.

dean-dean

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
No, unfortunately, I don't think this functionality exists in Vista. There
is no user interface to add new verbs/actions with new commands, or make a
verb the default, or rename the type, or change the icon for a type, etc.,
short of editing the registry directly. In this regard, we're back to
Windows 3.1, without
3.1's simple registry.

"Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done
> in Vista...
>
> I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any
> explorer window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
> Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to your
> favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs, etc.
>
> I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
> when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a file
> type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files. Now, i
> know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not the
> preferred way to go for numerous reasons.
>
> Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the gui.
> Thanks in advance!
> - Arthur Dent.

Paul Randall

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)

"Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done
> in Vista...
>
> I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any
> explorer window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
> Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to your
> favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs, etc.
>
> I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
> when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a file
> type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files. Now, i
> know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not the
> preferred way to go for numerous reasons.
>
> Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the gui.
> Thanks in advance!
> - Arthur Dent.

I'm hoping someone gives you an answer. I'd like to be able to do this too.
Is it possible that you installed an add-on to IE that gave you this
feature?

-Paul Randall

Arthur Dent

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
Nah, in XP, i believe this was out-of-the-box functionality...
in fact, i believe it was even in Windows 2000,
(and maybe 95 and NT4? cant remember that long ago! )

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message

> "Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done
>> in Vista...
>>
>> I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any
>> explorer window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
>> Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to
>> your favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs,
>> etc.
>>
>> I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
>> when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a file
>> type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files. Now, i
>> know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not the
>> preferred way to go for numerous reasons.
>>
>> Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the
>> gui.
>> Thanks in advance!
>> - Arthur Dent.

> I'm hoping someone gives you an answer. I'd like to be able to do this
> too.
> Is it possible that you installed an add-on to IE that gave you this
> feature?
>
> -Paul Randall

Charlie Tame

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
I'm far too young to remember but think you are right anyway.

My guess would be that comes under the notion of a "Security" issue in
Vista, perhaps the different methods could leave to some confusion about
what security privileges the application has.

Charlie

> Nah, in XP, i believe this was out-of-the-box functionality...
> in fact, i believe it was even in Windows 2000,
> (and maybe 95 and NT4? cant remember that long ago! )
>
> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done
>>> in Vista...
>>>
>>> I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any
>>> explorer window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
>>> Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to
>>> your favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new
>>> verbs, etc.
>>>
>>> I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
>>> when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a
>>> file type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files.
>>> Now, i know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not
>>> the preferred way to go for numerous reasons.
>>>
>>> Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the
>>> gui.
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>> - Arthur Dent.

>> I'm hoping someone gives you an answer. I'd like to be able to do this
>> too.
>> Is it possible that you installed an add-on to IE that gave you this
>> feature?
>>
>> -Paul Randall

lforbes

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
Hi,

This is one area where I Hate Vista over XP. MS has tried to make it easier
but in doing so has taken away functionality from those of us who actually
KNOW what we are doing. It is driving me crazy.

Eg. I program using VBScript. I have the VBS file type to EDIT instead of
OPEN as a default. That way if I double click on one I get Notepad but I
could still run it by right clicking and chosing Open. It worked great and
didn't let me inadvertently run a script until it was ready. Now with Vista
I can't do that anymore. Nor can I create my own File types - which I did
for software installed on a server and not locally.

I am playing around with ftype and assoc commands but it looks like I have
to go back to the registry hacking again. How annoying.

Cheers,
Lara

"Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done
> in Vista...
>
> I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any
> explorer window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
> Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to your
> favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs, etc.
>
> I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
> when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a file
> type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files. Now, i
> know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not the
> preferred way to go for numerous reasons.
>
> Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the gui.
> Thanks in advance!
> - Arthur Dent.

William MacDonald

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
Try power tools from Creative elements
http://www.creativelement.com/powertools/

Right click and choose Edit File Type
One UAC prompt and you are there.

Bill

"Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done
> in Vista...
>
> I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any
> explorer window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
> Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to your
> favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs, etc.
>
> I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
> when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a file
> type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files. Now, i
> know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not the
> preferred way to go for numerous reasons.
>
> Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the gui.
> Thanks in advance!
> - Arthur Dent.

Arthur Dent

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
Hmm.... maybe, just maybe, .... does anyone know if maybe it is possible to
open the old "File Types" dialog using a rundll command?

Like, you can lock the workstation with the commandline

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Maybe there is something similar that would bring up the old dialog???

"Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done
> in Vista...
>
> I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any
> explorer window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
> Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to your
> favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs, etc.
>
> I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
> when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a file
> type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files. Now, i
> know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not the
> preferred way to go for numerous reasons.
>
> Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the gui.
> Thanks in advance!
> - Arthur Dent.

lforbes

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
Thanks William,

This is great for home use but in a Domain like mine with 1000 machines and
ones that get imaged a lot it isn't a solution. I wish MS would stop taking
away features with new OS' instead of adding them. We shouldn't have to pay
for software to get back the functionality we had in XP.

Cheers,
Lara

"William MacDonald" <wmacdona@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> Try power tools from Creative elements
> http://www.creativelement.com/powertools/
>
> Right click and choose Edit File Type
> One UAC prompt and you are there.
>
> Bill
>
> "Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done
>> in Vista...
>>
>> I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any
>> explorer window, using Tools > Options > File Types.
>> Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to
>> your favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs,
>> etc.
>>
>> I see in Start > Default Programs, where you can change the program used
>> when double-clicking a file, but i want to edit the OTHER verbs of a file
>> type. For example, changing the editor used to "Edit" .cmd files. Now, i
>> know i can munge around in the registry, but that's obviously not the
>> preferred way to go for numerous reasons.
>>
>> Please i hope someone can tell me where this can still be done in the
>> gui.
>> Thanks in advance!
>> - Arthur Dent.

Re: Tools > Options > File Types (verbs)
It only allowed partial editing, didn't support two out of the three ways of
opening a file, and allowed virtually no editing of options.

It is beeter to use the registry direct to make changes.