Merging two drives into one?

It Is Me Here

Merging two drives into one?
I've just got my new computer (Windows Vista Ultimate) and despite it coming
with just one hard drive (if I'm not mistaken), when I open Computer, it
displays two different hard drives: "OS_Install (C [102 GB free of 231 GB]"
and "New Volume (D [465 GB free of 465 GB]".

Anyway, how, instead of working with this bizarre set-up, could I "merge"
C:\ and D:\ into one hard drive (in Windows Explorer's eyes, at least) so
that I do not have files arbitrarily split into two?
Gordon

"It Is Me Here" <ItIsMeHere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just got my new computer (Windows Vista Ultimate) and despite it
> coming
> with just one hard drive (if I'm not mistaken), when I open Computer, it
> displays two different hard drives: "OS_Install (C [102 GB free of 231
> GB]"
> and "New Volume (D [465 GB free of 465 GB]".

Are you really saying that the OS install takes up ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY
NINE GB?

> Anyway, how, instead of working with this bizarre set-up, could I "merge"
> C:\ and D:\ into one hard drive (in Windows Explorer's eyes, at least) so
> that I do not have files arbitrarily split into two?

It's not a "bizarre" setup - many users have their machines setup this way.
There are some advantages in having your HDD partitioned into two - OS and
apps go on the C drive, data goes on the D drive. It simplifies data backup,
and in the event of having to re-install the OS (not Restore you notice),
the data remains untouched.
And no, files are NOT "arbitrarily split in two", you cannot split a file
across two partitions.

It Is Me Here

"Gordon" wrote:

> Are you really saying that the OS install takes up ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY
> NINE GB?

Apparently so

> It's not a "bizarre" setup - many users have their machines setup this way.
> There are some advantages in having your HDD partitioned into two - OS and
> apps go on the C drive, data goes on the D drive. It simplifies data backup,
> and in the event of having to re-install the OS (not Restore you notice),
> the data remains untouched.
> And no, files are NOT "arbitrarily split in two", you cannot split a file
> across two partitions.

Well, maybe, but I'm going to run out of space on my apps drive (i.e. C:\)
pretty soon, so I'd rather just bung them together. If you could tell me how
to do that, that would be great.
Bob

Re: Merging two drives into one?
"It Is Me Here" <ItIsMeHere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just got my new computer (Windows Vista Ultimate) and despite it
> coming
> with just one hard drive (if I'm not mistaken), when I open Computer, it
> displays two different hard drives: "OS_Install (C [102 GB free of 231
> GB]"
> and "New Volume (D [465 GB free of 465 GB]".
>
> Anyway, how, instead of working with this bizarre set-up, could I "merge"
> C:\ and D:\ into one hard drive (in Windows Explorer's eyes, at least) so
> that I do not have files arbitrarily split into two?

What makes you think they are?

In all likelihood you don't have two hard drives. You have two partitions on
one hard drive. There is nothing bizarre about it.
-------
*Report back, please*

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Merging two drives into one?
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:33:02 -0700, It Is Me Here
<ItIsMeHere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I've just got my new computer (Windows Vista Ultimate) and despite it coming
> with just one hard drive (if I'm not mistaken), when I open Computer, it
> displays two different hard drives: "OS_Install (C [102 GB free of 231 GB]"

Something is very much wrong with those numbers. If 102GB is free out
of 231GB, that means that 129GB is in use. That's an *enormous* number
for a computer you just got, and is almost certainly wrong.

> and "New Volume (D [465 GB free of 465 GB]".
>
> Anyway, how, instead of working with this bizarre set-up,

Bizarre? Why is it bizarre? In fact, it's very common. You have one
physical drive, which has been partitioned into two logical drives.
Many people prefer such a setup, especially those who have a very
large physical drive, such as your 696GB drive (your manufacturer
probably calls this a 750GB drive).

> could I "merge"
> C:\ and D:\ into one hard drive (in Windows Explorer's eyes, at least) so
> that I do not have files arbitrarily split into two?

Files are *never* split in two, arbitrarily or not. You have two
logical drives, which are treated just as if they were two physical
drives. What gets put on each drive (always complete files, never
split ones) is entirely up to you, and there's nothing arbitrary about
it.

Yes, there are ways to change this so you have a single partition
rather than two, but before you decide to do this, you should learn
something about the reasons why people *choose* to do what you call
"bizarre," and decide for yourself what kind of partition setup best
meets *your* needs.

I'm sure that others will respond, telling you why they prefer two or
more partitions, but in the meantime, I suggest that you read my
thoughts on partitioning at
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
It Is Me Here

Re: Merging two drives into one?
Thanks, that was really interesting, and I'm more convinced than ever now to
departition my drive and have one logical drive. So, how would I go about
doing that?

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:33:02 -0700, It Is Me Here
> <ItIsMeHere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just got my new computer (Windows Vista Ultimate) and despite it coming
> > with just one hard drive (if I'm not mistaken), when I open Computer, it
> > displays two different hard drives: "OS_Install (C [102 GB free of 231 GB]"

> Something is very much wrong with those numbers. If 102GB is free out
> of 231GB, that means that 129GB is in use. That's an *enormous* number
> for a computer you just got, and is almost certainly wrong.
>

> > and "New Volume (D [465 GB free of 465 GB]".
> >
> > Anyway, how, instead of working with this bizarre set-up,

> Bizarre? Why is it bizarre? In fact, it's very common. You have one
> physical drive, which has been partitioned into two logical drives.
> Many people prefer such a setup, especially those who have a very
> large physical drive, such as your 696GB drive (your manufacturer
> probably calls this a 750GB drive).
>

> > could I "merge"
> > C:\ and D:\ into one hard drive (in Windows Explorer's eyes, at least) so
> > that I do not have files arbitrarily split into two?

> Files are *never* split in two, arbitrarily or not. You have two
> logical drives, which are treated just as if they were two physical
> drives. What gets put on each drive (always complete files, never
> split ones) is entirely up to you, and there's nothing arbitrary about
> it.
>
> Yes, there are ways to change this so you have a single partition
> rather than two, but before you decide to do this, you should learn
> something about the reasons why people *choose* to do what you call
> "bizarre," and decide for yourself what kind of partition setup best
> meets *your* needs.
>
> I'm sure that others will respond, telling you why they prefer two or
> more partitions, but in the meantime, I suggest that you read my
> thoughts on partitioning at
> http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Bob

Re: Merging two drives into one?
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

> Thanks, that was really interesting, and I'm more convinced than ever now
> departition my drive and have one logical drive. So, how would I go about
> doing that?
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:33:02 -0700, It Is Me Here
>> <ItIsMeHere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I've just got my new computer (Windows Vista Ultimate) and despite it
>> > coming
>> > with just one hard drive (if I'm not mistaken), when I open Computer,
>> > it
>> > displays two different hard drives: "OS_Install (C [102 GB free of
>> > 231 GB]"

>> Something is very much wrong with those numbers. If 102GB is free out
>> of 231GB, that means that 129GB is in use. That's an *enormous* number
>> for a computer you just got, and is almost certainly wrong.
>>

>> > and "New Volume (D [465 GB free of 465 GB]".
>> >
>> > Anyway, how, instead of working with this bizarre set-up,

>> Bizarre? Why is it bizarre? In fact, it's very common. You have one
>> physical drive, which has been partitioned into two logical drives.
>> Many people prefer such a setup, especially those who have a very
>> large physical drive, such as your 696GB drive (your manufacturer
>> probably calls this a 750GB drive).
>>

>> > could I "merge"
>> > C:\ and D:\ into one hard drive (in Windows Explorer's eyes, at least)
>> > so
>> > that I do not have files arbitrarily split into two?

>> Files are *never* split in two, arbitrarily or not. You have two
>> logical drives, which are treated just as if they were two physical
>> drives. What gets put on each drive (always complete files, never
>> split ones) is entirely up to you, and there's nothing arbitrary about
>> it.
>>
>> Yes, there are ways to change this so you have a single partition
>> rather than two, but before you decide to do this, you should learn
>> something about the reasons why people *choose* to do what you call
>> "bizarre," and decide for yourself what kind of partition setup best
>> meets *your* needs.
>>
>> I'm sure that others will respond, telling you why they prefer two or
>> more partitions, but in the meantime, I suggest that you read my
>> thoughts on partitioning at
>> http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326
>>

>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

It Is Me Here

Re: Merging two drives into one?
Well, the problem is that my C:\ drive WILL soon be 'broke' in that it will
be full up.

Can someone please just tell me how to stick the two drives back together
without blowing my PC up?

> Well, the problem is that my C:\ drive WILL soon be 'broke' in that it
> will
> be full up.

Then move data to the D drive.....

It Is Me Here

Re: Merging two drives into one?
Yes, but that would mean that some of my files are in C:\ and some are in D:\
for no apparent reason (i.e. not because I had organised my files to be like
that), which would not be very convenient for me.