IE7 Protected Mode while UAC is disabled?

Synapse Syndrome

IE7 Protected Mode while UAC is disabled?

I am running as a standard user, and still (even more so), UAC is doing my
head in intensely. I've been trying to move and delete files (organise)
between some partitions and I found myself swearing and punching the monitor
and stamping on the keyboard because of UAC.

I have disabled having to elevate in Admin account, using secpol.msc, but
this is no use in a Power User account. So I have to disable this UAC
atrocity.

Is there any way that I can still run IE7 in Protected Mode without UAC, or
is there another way to make UAC STFU more?

No pro-UAC rants please.

Cheers.

ss.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbEQ=?=

don't be stupid and TURN ON UAC
don't be stupid and TURN ON UAC
mikeyhsd

Re: IE7 Protected Mode while UAC is disabled?
am puzzled, as to what IE7 has to do with copying and deleting files. unless it is on a web site

unless you need to be connected to the internet to do the cleanup. simply disconnect/turn off the modem then turn off UAC momentarily. do the work, then turn UAC back on and then reconnect/turn on the modem.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message
am puzzled, as to what IE7 has to do with copying and deleting files. unless
it is on a web site

unless you need to be connected to the internet to do the cleanup. simply
disconnect/turn off the modem then turn off UAC momentarily. do the work,
then turn UAC back on and then reconnect/turn on the modem.

I do far too much during the usual work day to do this. And you need to
reboot to turn UAC off. I just want to get rid of it completely, apart from
IE7 Protected Mode.

ss.

Synapse Syndrome

Re: don't be stupid and TURN ON UAC

"BillD" <BillD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> don't be stupid and TURN ON UAC

Shut up you idiot. You sound like a moron that ran as Admin with XP and got
lots of malware. I never did. Just wait till MS changes the way UAC works
with SP1 and then cry about your stupid UAC crap.

ss.

Richard Urban

Re: IE7 Protected Mode while UAC is disabled?
You post here frequently, and have helped a lot of people.

But, if I were reduced to punching a monitor, I think I would go back to
Windows XP for a while and cool down. I would likely reload Vista the next
time I obtained a drive by download from a funky website - and live with
UAC.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message

> I am running as a standard user, and still (even more so), UAC is doing my
> head in intensely. I've been trying to move and delete files (organise)
> between some partitions and I found myself swearing and punching the
> monitor and stamping on the keyboard because of UAC.
>
> I have disabled having to elevate in Admin account, using secpol.msc, but
> this is no use in a Power User account. So I have to disable this UAC
> atrocity.
>
> Is there any way that I can still run IE7 in Protected Mode without UAC,
> or is there another way to make UAC STFU more?
>
> No pro-UAC rants please.
>
> Cheers.
>
> ss.

Arthur Dent

Re: IE7 Protected Mode while UAC is disabled?
I generally love Vista and dont plan on going back to XP. But i have to
agree with Synapse...

The UAC, while a GREAT idea, is simply far to intrusive to be useful. I
tried to live with it at first, to "do the right thing", but like he says,
it prompts you for SO many things that you should be able to do fine (like
copying a couple files in his example, or emptying the recycle bin or
changing screen savers and just dumb stuff (i know it doesnt ACTually prompt
on the recycle bin or screen saver, but i turned it off so long ago i forgot
what the little things all were, so those are just examples in principle)).

Now i didnt actually turn it off... i just run it in the mode so Admin users
auto-elevate with no prompt. Because otherwise you Do... you get prompted
every 5 minutes when you try to do something, which especially at work,
where productivity counts, is absolute baloney.

Now, if they had made it so that it would detect WHERE the action was coming
from... ie, from a remotely initiated process vs. from the logged in user
actually clicking something, then it would be a LOT better. Then it would
still provide the protection against remote access hacks that it is
supposedly supposed to be protecting us from, but it would do so without
making the interactive user want to toss his machine out a window. Such a
Basic Change would've gone a LONG way to improving the experience and
probably would've reslulted in a LOT fewer people turning the
'good-but-poorly-implemented' thing off.

That's my two cents,
CheerZ!

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message

> I am running as a standard user, and still (even more so), UAC is doing my
> head in intensely. I've been trying to move and delete files (organise)
> between some partitions and I found myself swearing and punching the
> monitor and stamping on the keyboard because of UAC.
>
> I have disabled having to elevate in Admin account, using secpol.msc, but
> this is no use in a Power User account. So I have to disable this UAC
> atrocity.
>
> Is there any way that I can still run IE7 in Protected Mode without UAC,
> or is there another way to make UAC STFU more?
>
> No pro-UAC rants please.
>
> Cheers.
>
> ss.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: IE7 Protected Mode while UAC is disabled?
Arthur

You aren't giving the malware and virus folks enough credit.

The first thing a virus will do is disable/bypass the onboard anti-virus
software and then spoof your administrator account privileges so the system
thinks that YOU are the one that initiated the action that it wants to
perform. It then goes ahead and does it's dirty deeds while masquerading as
YOU with unrestricted access to the system.

The UAC prompt is designed to alert you when any action is requested that
could potentially be malware related. This can be something as simple as
moving/copying/replacing files, starting a command prompt, accessing the
registry, or task manager, writing to a system folder, etc.

With UAC turned off, you will not even be aware of what is happening until
it is too late. With UAC turned on you will be prompted with "Windows needs
your permission to continue" dirtydeeds.exe is trying to access the system,
if you started this action, click continue? (Of course it will not be named
dirtydeeds.exe, it will be something like windowsnormal file.exe)

I do agree that the UAC prompt can be intrusive, but I believe that most of
the frustration comes from the fact that we are being asked to do something
different from the way we have always done it. I did some studies, on my
own, about how much time is actually wasted with the UAC prompt and the
results were negligible. During an eight day period, I wasted less than 5
minutes total.
The UAC prompt pops up, I glance at it to make sure that it is referring to
an action that I intended to perform and click Enter. Takes less than a
second.

It's true that you can turn the elevation prompts off, but this needs to be
done in a responsible manner. You can set things up so that you can quickly
turn it off, without the need to reboot and without compromising the
Virtualization or Compatibility modules that UAC is tightly integrated with.
This needs to be a temporary switch that is only used when you think it is
needed and then turned back on when you are finished.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I generally love Vista and dont plan on going back to XP. But i have to
>agree with Synapse...
>
> The UAC, while a GREAT idea, is simply far to intrusive to be useful. I
> tried to live with it at first, to "do the right thing", but like he says,
> it prompts you for SO many things that you should be able to do fine (like
> copying a couple files in his example, or emptying the recycle bin or
> changing screen savers and just dumb stuff (i know it doesnt ACTually
> prompt on the recycle bin or screen saver, but i turned it off so long ago
> i forgot what the little things all were, so those are just examples in
> principle)).
>
> Now i didnt actually turn it off... i just run it in the mode so Admin
> users auto-elevate with no prompt. Because otherwise you Do... you get
> prompted every 5 minutes when you try to do something, which especially at
> work, where productivity counts, is absolute baloney.
>
> Now, if they had made it so that it would detect WHERE the action was
> coming from... ie, from a remotely initiated process vs. from the logged
> in user actually clicking something, then it would be a LOT better. Then
> it would still provide the protection against remote access hacks that it
> is supposedly supposed to be protecting us from, but it would do so
> without making the interactive user want to toss his machine out a window.
> Such a Basic Change would've gone a LONG way to improving the experience
> and probably would've reslulted in a LOT fewer people turning the
> 'good-but-poorly-implemented' thing off.
>
> That's my two cents,
> CheerZ!
>

> "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
>>
>> I am running as a standard user, and still (even more so), UAC is doing
>> my head in intensely. I've been trying to move and delete files
>> (organise) between some partitions and I found myself swearing and
>> punching the monitor and stamping on the keyboard because of UAC.
>>
>> I have disabled having to elevate in Admin account, using secpol.msc, but
>> this is no use in a Power User account. So I have to disable this UAC
>> atrocity.
>>
>> Is there any way that I can still run IE7 in Protected Mode without UAC,
>> or is there another way to make UAC STFU more?
>>
>> No pro-UAC rants please.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> ss.

Arthur Dent

Re: IE7 Protected Mode while UAC is disabled?
I understand the point you're making, and in principle it's a good idea, but
it is just too much... especially for someone who knows what they are doing.
In 13 years of using computers... i've only ever had 1 infection, and that
was after i'd done a rebuild and simply forgotten (DUH!) to put back on my
a/v and anti-malware. Other than that i've never had a single infection. For
real power users, who browse responsibly and configure their networks
properly... UAC is just too much. For regular home user's without tht
benefit of a good IT person on hand, maybe it is needed... or for server's
which are more likely to be the targets of attack.

I think one way it couldve been done a LOT better, would've been if instead
of locking up your whole machine with a prompt, and not letting you do
anything until you answer it, ..... it could've been written so that it only
locked up the one process which spawned the alert and not the entire
machine. And instead of the annoyingly obtuse dialog, if it had been done
with a small non-modal balloon notification from the systray or a persistent
desktop alert like Outlook 2003+'s ..... something that would've held that
process or app until you answered it, but wouldnt necessarily stop you from
doing other stuff on your computer. But i guess coulda-woulda-shoulda's ...
.