Folder sorting and details?

magritte

Folder sorting and details?

I frequently find myself sorting the contents of a folder by modified
date or size. What I'd like, though, is for these criteria to apply
equally to subfolders and files.

Currently, if I sort by modified date, I'll get a list where all the
folders are at the top (sorted by date) then all the files are at the
bottom (sorted by date). I'd like to see a single list where the folders
and files are interspersed and everything is properly sorted by date
(not sorted by type then date as Explorer effectively does for folders).
I'm guessing no, but is there any way to get Vista's Windows Explorer to
do this?

I'd also like to see the folders' size (of all contents) so I can sort
by folder size. Again, I'd like a list where I can sort by size but have
folders and files interspersed in a single sorted list.

Is there any 3rd party utility (preferably free) that can do both these
things (sort interspersed files and folders, calculate folder size)? One
caveat is that it must support network drives. I've found some of the
commercial software also provides a free version, but they reserve
network functionality for their pro versions...

Actually, the ideal utility would have the above plus some kind of
decent multi-file renaming function (but that would just be icing).

Thanks for your help!

--
magritte
Donald Lessau

Re: Folder sorting and details?
"magritte" <magritte.373py2@no-mx.forums.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I frequently find myself sorting the contents of a folder by modified
> date or size. What I'd like, though, is for these criteria to apply
> equally to subfolders and files.
>
> Currently, if I sort by modified date, I'll get a list where all the
> folders are at the top (sorted by date) then all the files are at the
> bottom (sorted by date). I'd like to see a single list where the folders
> and files are interspersed and everything is properly sorted by date
> (not sorted by type then date as Explorer effectively does for folders).
> I'm guessing no, but is there any way to get Vista's Windows Explorer to
> do this?
>
> I'd also like to see the folders' size (of all contents) so I can sort
> by folder size. Again, I'd like a list where I can sort by size but have
> folders and files interspersed in a single sorted list.
>
> Is there any 3rd party utility (preferably free) that can do both these
> things (sort interspersed files and folders, calculate folder size)? One
> caveat is that it must support network drives. I've found some of the
> commercial software also provides a free version, but they reserve
> network functionality for their pro versions...
>
> Actually, the ideal utility would have the above plus some kind of
> decent multi-file renaming function (but that would just be icing).

XYplorer (http://www.xyplorer.com/). There's a free version (search for
XYplorerFree) that can do all of this as well, but the paid version is far
better and continuously developed.

Don

magritte

Re: Folder sorting and details?

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

--
magritte
Bob

Re: Folder sorting and details?
You'll give what a try?

Who are you thanking?

***When posting, please quote relevant information so that others may learn
and benefit from the issue.***

"magritte" <magritte.374q24@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Thanks! I'll give it a try.
>

> --
> magritte

magritte

Bob;667866 Wrote:
> You'll give what a try?
>
> Who are you thanking?

Since there was only 1 reply, I thought it was obvious...

Nevertheless...

Donald Lessau;667721 Wrote:
> XYplorer ('XYplorer - A Windows File Manager and Explorer Replacement'
> (http://www.xyplorer.com/)). There's a free version (search for
> XYplorerFree) that can do all of this as well, but the paid version is
> far
> better and continuously developed.
>
> Don

So I did give XYplorer a try and it is quite good. Had to search a bit
through the options to find out how to get the folders to be sorted
along with the files, but the option is there and works well. I also
tried the paid version trial but other than adding a preview to the
multi-file rename feature (which is nice) there wasn't anything else I
really needed. I'm sure there are lots of nice extra features in the
paid version but I was looking for a few specific functions which are
handled equally well by the free version.

The only thing I don't like is the performance (at least for networked
folders) doesn't seem to be very good. There can be long pauses when
scrolling through a large folder or performing certain file operations.
This was equally true of the paid version.

I tried a couple of other similar programs and found another one I
liked that didn't suffer the same pereformance problem. It's called
xplorer2. Like XYplorer there's a 'free version'
(http://www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm) (which covers all my needs) and a
paid version with some more expert features. Because it's faster I
prefer it for sorting and calculating folder sizes. However, XYplorer's
rename feature is much superior, so I'll probably keep both around.

--
magritte
Bob

Re: Folder sorting and details?

That's better.
When posting, please quote relevant information so that others know what you’re
talking about.

"magritte" <magritte.37d4u2@no-mx.forums.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> The only thing I don't like is the performance (at least for networked
> folders) doesn't seem to be very good. There can be long pauses when
> scrolling through a large folder or performing certain file operations.
> This was equally true of the paid version.

Hmmm, actually XYplorer (paid version) is known to be very fast in network
browsing. Might be some of your settings... if still interested you should
join the user forum to find advice about speeding up the app.

Don

magritte

Donald Lessau;672869 Wrote:
> "magritte" <magritte.37d4u2@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:magritte.37d4u2@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > >
> > > The only thing I don't like is the performance (at least for

> > networked
> > > folders) doesn't seem to be very good. There can be long pauses when
> > > scrolling through a large folder or performing certain file

> > operations.
> > > This was equally true of the paid version. > > Hmmm, actually XYplorer (paid version) is known to be very fast in

> network
> browsing. Might be some of your settings... if still interested you
> should
> join the user forum to find advice about speeding up the app.
>
> Don

Strange. Well, I tried it again (both the free and the paid demo
versions) and they definitely stall when browsing through a large
network folder. But otherwise it does seem like a nice app so maybe I'll
take your advise when I get a chance and check out their forum.

Thanks again.

--
magritte