Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?

CavalierMills

Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?

I am posting here because didn't know how to do a general post.

This is my porblem, can someone recommend some solution. tried
everything i know so far.

Problem:
--------
I export a datafile from the internet and save it as an excel file. I
click on browse and save it to users/name/mydocuments/directory...
Then I go look for the file but cannot find it. I re-download it but
keeps telling me that the file already exists, so I put a 2 at the end
of the file name. Save that. Then I cannot find the first and second
file.
I am logged on as the administrator. There are no other users on the
computer except for a asp.net user.

I am using Office 2003. There are no 2007 version loaded on the
machine. Vista is Home Premium 32 bit I think. This also happened on my
PC which has the same version of Vista.

--
CavalierMills
garysgold

Re: Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?

Hi CavalierMills,

Have you tried doing a search for the file. Start button, in the white
box at the bottom type the name of the file. If it shows on the list,
right click and select properties to see where the file is at.

Hope this helps,
Gary

--
garysgold

Vista Home Premium SP1 Q6600 Quad Core 2.40 GHz 4 GB Ram 800 MHz Nvidia
8600GTS 256MB 500 GB HD Exp. Index=5.5
CavalierMills

Re: Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?

Sorry for the delay in responding. We had to run this process several
times so we know what we are talking here.

We went through the same process. We have to do a Crystal Report of
the Internet, save it as a Excel file on our PC.

So, ran the Crystal Report. Did export file. Picked Export as Excel
File. The picked "Browse" file location. Typed the same file name (as
the one that we can't find), which then showed as one of the file that
exists in the directory. When we give it the same name, it says "Access
Denied". It will take a new file name which we did.

Then we go to access the new file. That too we can't find. But if we
do the download again, the file exists. So, we save as a third file
name, that too cannot be found.

Funny thing is it works sometimes, but most of the times it doesn't.

The directory is c:users/rochelle/documents/canadian tire

You can ONLY see the file or file name when we are trying to save the
file. But cannot be seen via Excel or Windows Explorer or Search.

File name is as follows: POD33008.xls

Al this is done under Administrator account.

Search results: No Items match your search.

--
CavalierMills
Bob

Re: Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?
Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"CavalierMills" <CavalierMills.373hm1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Sorry for the delay in responding. We had to run this process several
> times so we know what we are talking here.
>
> We went through the same process. We have to do a Crystal Report of
> the Internet, save it as a Excel file on our PC.
>
> So, ran the Crystal Report. Did export file. Picked Export as Excel
> File. The picked "Browse" file location. Typed the same file name (as
> the one that we can't find), which then showed as one of the file that
> exists in the directory. When we give it the same name, it says "Access
> Denied". It will take a new file name which we did.
>
> Then we go to access the new file. That too we can't find. But if we
> do the download again, the file exists. So, we save as a third file
> name, that too cannot be found.
>
> Funny thing is it works sometimes, but most of the times it doesn't.
>
> The directory is c:users/rochelle/documents/canadian tire
>
> You can ONLY see the file or file name when we are trying to save the
> file. But cannot be seen via Excel or Windows Explorer or Search.
>
> File name is as follows: POD33008.xls
>
> Al this is done under Administrator account.
>
> Search results: No Items match your search.
>

> --
> CavalierMills

garysgold

Re: Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?

Is there any chance that the file is picking up the hidden attribute
somehow. Try ticking the 'show hidden files & folders option on the view
tab of options window.

Gary

--
garysgold

Vista Home Premium SP1 Q6600 Quad Core 2.40 GHz 4 GB Ram 800 MHz Nvidia
8600GTS 256MB 500 GB HD Exp. Index=5.5
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?
CavalierMills

What happens if you download the file to your Desktop?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"CavalierMills" <CavalierMills.373hm1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Sorry for the delay in responding. We had to run this process several
> times so we know what we are talking here.
>
> We went through the same process. We have to do a Crystal Report of
> the Internet, save it as a Excel file on our PC.
>
> So, ran the Crystal Report. Did export file. Picked Export as Excel
> File. The picked "Browse" file location. Typed the same file name (as
> the one that we can't find), which then showed as one of the file that
> exists in the directory. When we give it the same name, it says "Access
> Denied". It will take a new file name which we did.
>
> Then we go to access the new file. That too we can't find. But if we
> do the download again, the file exists. So, we save as a third file
> name, that too cannot be found.
>
> Funny thing is it works sometimes, but most of the times it doesn't.
>
> The directory is c:users/rochelle/documents/canadian tire
>
> You can ONLY see the file or file name when we are trying to save the
> file. But cannot be seen via Excel or Windows Explorer or Search.
>
> File name is as follows: POD33008.xls
>
> Al this is done under Administrator account.
>
> Search results: No Items match your search.
>

> --
> CavalierMills

Flowerchild

RE: Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?
I've had this happen to me several times. The answer lies in the dark blue
strip (re files) above your list of file names. I cannot remember the name
of the icon, but there is one that SOMETIMES appears (and I cannot find it
now) but it's right above your list. I'm not savvy enough to remember what
the icon is, but a tech support person helped me. I clicked on it and
suddenly many more files became available to me - and I'm certain it was NOT
"show hidden files". Sorry this is so obtuse, but experiment and good luck!
VISTA SUCKS!!!

"CavalierMills" wrote:

> I am posting here because didn't know how to do a general post.
>
> This is my porblem, can someone recommend some solution. tried
> everything i know so far.
>
> Problem:
> --------
> I export a datafile from the internet and save it as an excel file. I
> click on browse and save it to users/name/mydocuments/directory...
> Then I go look for the file but cannot find it. I re-download it but
> keeps telling me that the file already exists, so I put a 2 at the end
> of the file name. Save that. Then I cannot find the first and second
> file.
> I am logged on as the administrator. There are no other users on the
> computer except for a asp.net user.
>
> I am using Office 2003. There are no 2007 version loaded on the
> machine. Vista is Home Premium 32 bit I think. This also happened on my
> PC which has the same version of Vista.
>

> --
> CavalierMills

Bob

Re: Cannot find saved file -- Any suggestions?
This might explain it:
The Vista folders beginning with "My" are not real folders. They are
junctions (shortcuts) which point to the corresponding folder e.g. "My
Music" points to "Music".
The Junction Points are in Vista for backward compatibility of pre-Vista
applications. Pre-Vista applications (applications written for XP and 2000)
look for folders that are no longer used in Vista. Folders with the “My”
prefix such as My Documents, My Pictures, and so on. There are also folders
in your user profile that have been changed in Vista, and pre-Vista apps
might be looking for the old folder structure during installation. If you
don’t set the option to Show Hidden Files in Windows Explorer, you will
rarely even see the Junction Point folders.

-------