Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2008
sean56a
 

Posts: n/a
Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.

Hello,

I am trying to free up a bunch of files that I royally stuffed up. I
originally attempted to restrict access to a folder tree. When I tried
getting access to them using my administrator password, however, I was
denied. I am able to take ownership using my Administrator account
(takeown /f in the command prompt). But when I give all the accounts
and groups Full Control in the security tab of the folder I originally
restricted, I hit "Apply" and I run into the following message: "An
error occurred while applying security information to: <<filename>>
Access is denied." I can free up individual files by first taking
ownership of them with the Admin account then giving myself full
control. Unfortunately we're talking about hundreds of files. I can't
spend all day doing this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any
suggestions you all may have. Cheers.

Sean


--
sean56a
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.

This will work:
Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"sean56a" <sean56a.372e12@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:sean56a.372e12@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to free up a bunch of files that I royally stuffed up. I
> originally attempted to restrict access to a folder tree. When I tried
> getting access to them using my administrator password, however, I was
> denied. I am able to take ownership using my Administrator account
> (takeown /f in the command prompt). But when I give all the accounts
> and groups Full Control in the security tab of the folder I originally
> restricted, I hit "Apply" and I run into the following message: "An
> error occurred while applying security information to: <<filename>>
> Access is denied." I can free up individual files by first taking
> ownership of them with the Admin account then giving myself full
> control. Unfortunately we're talking about hundreds of files. I can't
> spend all day doing this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any
> suggestions you all may have. Cheers.
>
> Sean
>
>
> --
> sean56a


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2008
sean56a
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.

I was able to work around it in the end by disabling UAC for a hot
second, moving the file, and enabling it afterward. Thanks for your
advice though.


--
sean56a
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.

Thanks for what advice?
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

"sean56a" <sean56a.373c27@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:sean56a.373c27@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> I was able to work around it in the end by disabling UAC for a hot
> second, moving the file, and enabling it afterward. Thanks for your
> advice though.
>
>
> --
> sean56a


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2008
sean56a
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.

This advice.

see ya!

Bob;666866 Wrote:
> This will work:
> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
> 'Add \"Take Ownership\" to right-click menu in Vista'
> (http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm)
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
> to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> 'How to ask a question' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
>
> "sean56a" <sean56a.372e12@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:sean56a.372e12@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am trying to free up a bunch of files that I royally stuffed up.

> > I
> > > originally attempted to restrict access to a folder tree. When I

> > tried
> > > getting access to them using my administrator password, however, I

> > was
> > > denied. I am able to take ownership using my Administrator account
> > > (takeown /f in the command prompt). But when I give all the

> > accounts
> > > and groups Full Control in the security tab of the folder I

> > originally
> > > restricted, I hit "Apply" and I run into the following message: "An
> > > error occurred while applying security information to: <<filename>>
> > > Access is denied." I can free up individual files by first taking
> > > ownership of them with the Admin account then giving myself full
> > > control. Unfortunately we're talking about hundreds of files. I

> > can't
> > > spend all day doing this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any
> > > suggestions you all may have. Cheers.
> > >
> > > Sean
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > sean56a > >



--
sean56a
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

"sean56a" <sean56a.373l35@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:sean56a.373l35@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> This advice.
>
> see ya!
>
> Bob;666866 Wrote:
>> This will work:
>> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>> 'Add \"Take Ownership\" to right-click menu in Vista'
>> (http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm)
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>> to so
>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> [How to ask a question]
>> 'How to ask a question' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
>>
>> "sean56a" <sean56a.372e12@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>> news:sean56a.372e12@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
>> > >
>> > > Hello,
>> > >
>> > > I am trying to free up a bunch of files that I royally stuffed up.
>> > I
>> > > originally attempted to restrict access to a folder tree. When I
>> > tried
>> > > getting access to them using my administrator password, however, I
>> > was
>> > > denied. I am able to take ownership using my Administrator account
>> > > (takeown /f in the command prompt). But when I give all the
>> > accounts
>> > > and groups Full Control in the security tab of the folder I
>> > originally
>> > > restricted, I hit "Apply" and I run into the following message: "An
>> > > error occurred while applying security information to: <<filename>>
>> > > Access is denied." I can free up individual files by first taking
>> > > ownership of them with the Admin account then giving myself full
>> > > control. Unfortunately we're talking about hundreds of files. I
>> > can't
>> > > spend all day doing this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any
>> > > suggestions you all may have. Cheers.
>> > >
>> > > Sean
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > --
>> > > sean56a > >

>
>
> --
> sean56a


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2008
Donald L McDaniel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:54:22 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.


Bob, that was totally unnecessary and un-called-for.
Anyone who read the interchange between you and the OP knows what
"advice" the OP was referring to: YOUR advice.

By the way, it is VERY UNWISE for a USER ACCOUNT of any kind to take
"Full control" over every file/folder on the machine. This is because
many files are NOT supposed to be user-accessible, since they are very
important to the proper operation of the OS. Because of this, even
"admins" will be UNABLE to gain control over many files and folders
under Vista.

For this reason, in Vista, an "administrator" account is (for all
intents and purposes) a STANDARD user account with SOME Administrator
privileges, and CONTRARY to Microsoft's words about this, does NOT
provide "full control" to the user.

>
>"sean56a" <sean56a.373l35@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>news:sean56a.373l35@no-mx.forums.net...
>>
>> This advice.
>>
>> see ya!
>>
>> Bob;666866 Wrote:
>>> This will work:
>>> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>>> 'Add \"Take Ownership\" to right-click menu in Vista'
>>> (http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm)
>>> -------
>>> *Report back, please*
>>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>>> to so
>>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>>
>>> [How to ask a question]
>>> 'How to ask a question' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
>>>
>>> "sean56a" <sean56a.372e12@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>> news:sean56a.372e12@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
>>> > >
>>> > > Hello,
>>> > >
>>> > > I am trying to free up a bunch of files that I royally stuffed up.
>>> > I
>>> > > originally attempted to restrict access to a folder tree. When I
>>> > tried
>>> > > getting access to them using my administrator password, however, I
>>> > was
>>> > > denied. I am able to take ownership using my Administrator account
>>> > > (takeown /f in the command prompt). But when I give all the
>>> > accounts
>>> > > and groups Full Control in the security tab of the folder I
>>> > originally
>>> > > restricted, I hit "Apply" and I run into the following message: "An
>>> > > error occurred while applying security information to: <<filename>>
>>> > > Access is denied." I can free up individual files by first taking
>>> > > ownership of them with the Admin account then giving myself full
>>> > > control. Unfortunately we're talking about hundreds of files. I
>>> > can't
>>> > > spend all day doing this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any
>>> > > suggestions you all may have. Cheers.
>>> > >
>>> > > Sean
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > > --
>>> > > sean56a > >

>>
>>
>> --
>> sean56a


Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
================================================
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.
I'll alert the media.

"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocross@invalid.invalid.com> wrote in message
news:aq9vv31kqm7somjgpookucao5suf949r3g@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:54:22 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>>Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

>
> Bob, that was totally unnecessary and un-called-for.
> Anyone who read the interchange between you and the OP knows what
> "advice" the OP was referring to: YOUR advice.
>
> By the way, it is VERY UNWISE for a USER ACCOUNT of any kind to take
> "Full control" over every file/folder on the machine. This is because
> many files are NOT supposed to be user-accessible, since they are very
> important to the proper operation of the OS. Because of this, even
> "admins" will be UNABLE to gain control over many files and folders
> under Vista.
>
> For this reason, in Vista, an "administrator" account is (for all
> intents and purposes) a STANDARD user account with SOME Administrator
> privileges, and CONTRARY to Microsoft's words about this, does NOT
> provide "full control" to the user.
>
>>
>>"sean56a" <sean56a.373l35@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>news:sean56a.373l35@no-mx.forums.net...
>>>
>>> This advice.
>>>
>>> see ya!
>>>
>>> Bob;666866 Wrote:
>>>> This will work:
>>>> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>>>> 'Add \"Take Ownership\" to right-click menu in Vista'
>>>> (http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm)
>>>> -------
>>>> *Report back, please*
>>>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>>>> to so
>>>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>>>
>>>> [How to ask a question]
>>>> 'How to ask a question' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
>>>>
>>>> "sean56a" <sean56a.372e12@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:sean56a.372e12@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
>>>> > >
>>>> > > Hello,
>>>> > >
>>>> > > I am trying to free up a bunch of files that I royally stuffed up.
>>>> > I
>>>> > > originally attempted to restrict access to a folder tree. When I
>>>> > tried
>>>> > > getting access to them using my administrator password, however, I
>>>> > was
>>>> > > denied. I am able to take ownership using my Administrator account
>>>> > > (takeown /f in the command prompt). But when I give all the
>>>> > accounts
>>>> > > and groups Full Control in the security tab of the folder I
>>>> > originally
>>>> > > restricted, I hit "Apply" and I run into the following message: "An
>>>> > > error occurred while applying security information to: <<filename>>
>>>> > > Access is denied." I can free up individual files by first taking
>>>> > > ownership of them with the Admin account then giving myself full
>>>> > > control. Unfortunately we're talking about hundreds of files. I
>>>> > can't
>>>> > > spend all day doing this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any
>>>> > > suggestions you all may have. Cheers.
>>>> > >
>>>> > > Sean
>>>> > >
>>>> > >
>>>> > > --
>>>> > > sean56a > >
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> sean56a

>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the correct thread and article.
> ================================================


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2008
dragnmastr85
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.

Hey Bob.

I just wanted to let you know I have been spending hours trying to
figure out how to get access to MY files and your reg edit was the only
thing that worked.

I understand why you said what you did to that other guy. He didnt take
your advice and used another method that doesnt fix anything in the long
term.

Your advice worked for me and Im so glad for it!

Thanks!

Everyone else: Grow a backbone


--
dragnmastr85
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2008
sean56a
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied.

Actually, my solution freed up the files and I never looked back on this
issue until now. No permanent changes to anything.


--
sean56a
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 927831 An updated password is not saved for all users when you change the password for an all-user network connection in Windows Vista, and you receive the following error message: "Error 5: Access is denied" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 930128 Error message when you try to access the My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos folders in Windows Vista: "Access is Denied" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 931716 Error message when you try to send a fax by using the "Set priority: High" option in Windows Vista: "This message could not be sent. Access is denied" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Registry Editing / Permission Denied even "run as administrator" Henry Thomas microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 05-06-2007 01:23
"Location is Not Available" -- "Access is Denied." Steven Hilgendorf microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 04-29-2007 17:39




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:29.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120