Files in Pictures folder are on the desktop

Bob Alexander

Files in Pictures folder are on the desktop
I was moving the "pictures" item on the start menu to a folder on my second
disk D. When I closed the folder I found icons for all my picture folders
arranged on the desktop. They are actual folders, not shortcuts. In Windows
Explorer I can see the folders in their actual location on disk D, and also
at the bottom of the left pane. If I delete one from the bottom left pane,
the one in the Disk D in the right pane disappears also. If I delete an icon
from the desktop, the folder disappears from D
--
Bobbie
Malu Menezes [MSFT]

Re: Files in Pictures folder are on the desktop
Hi,

I don't know what's happening, but maybe you can try to restore your system
to a date previous to that and see if it still happens? I find that system
restore helps a lot, many times...

--Malu

"Bob Alexander" <BobAlexander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was moving the "pictures" item on the start menu to a folder on my second
> disk D. When I closed the folder I found icons for all my picture folders
> arranged on the desktop. They are actual folders, not shortcuts. In
> Windows
> Explorer I can see the folders in their actual location on disk D, and
> also
> at the bottom of the left pane. If I delete one from the bottom left pane,
> the one in the Disk D in the right pane disappears also. If I delete an
> icon
> from the desktop, the folder disappears from D
> --
> Bobbie

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Files in Pictures folder are on the desktop
Sounds like 'Pictures' & 'Desktop' are both pointing to the same folder.

In the Start Search box, type: 'regedit<enter>' to launch the Registry
Editor.

Navigate to:

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell Folders]

and edit the path for 'Desktop' and whatever other folders are giving you
problems.

--
Good Luck,

Keith