windows explorer standard toolbar missing the UP button

tritonsenior

windows explorer standard toolbar missing the UP button
A simple thing that's very aggrivating with vista Windows explorer is the new
toolbar (or lack of a toolbar) The XP toolbar had an UP button as well as
BACK and FWD but vista has no UP button to jump up the folder tree. When you
have multiple (15 or 20) network drives on the tree, it is really cumbersome
to scroll the tree to point and click, when the UP button could take you up
the tree in one click. We need the navigation key back.
Dave

Re: windows explorer standard toolbar missing the UP button
to go "up", click on the parent folder in the breadcrumb trail
http://www.exotribe.com/node/50

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"tritonsenior" <tritonsenior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A simple thing that's very aggrivating with vista Windows explorer is the
> new
> toolbar (or lack of a toolbar) The XP toolbar had an UP button as well as
> BACK and FWD but vista has no UP button to jump up the folder tree. When
> you
> have multiple (15 or 20) network drives on the tree, it is really
> cumbersome
> to scroll the tree to point and click, when the UP button could take you
> up
> the tree in one click. We need the navigation key back.

Retne

Re: windows explorer standard toolbar missing the UP button
> to go "up", click on the parent folder in the breadcrumb trail
> http://www.exotribe.com/node/50

There are a few issues with that though. First, depending on folder name
lengths, and window size, you may not be able to see the name.
Also, it means your clicking isn't in a consistant place.
Thirdly, there's a whole extra level of processing your brain has to do with
that.
And finally, there's the chance the folder was deleted, so the back button
list is broken, and you get an error message.

Don't get me wrong - I think breadcrumbs are great for some things, but the
'Up' button has its place too. I can't understand why MS's UI team would
insist not only hiding it, but banishing it from the OS. If they wanted an
icon change or name change I've no problem with that if the 'up' concept was
harder for non-expert users to understand.

As a UI programmer myself, I'd say not having it, or the option to add it
was a mistake.

For anyone having got here wanting the 'Up' functionality, try <alt>+<up
arrow>.

blueskip

Re: windows explorer standard toolbar missing the UP button

Go to MavisApps and download the Mavis Up Button for Vista. ($4.95 with
a 5 day trial.)

http://mavisapps.com/

This works and it works exactly like you would want it to. It was only
$5 so I bought it. I'm very pleased with it. It's pathetic to have to
buy back a feature in Windows though!

Screw a "breadcrumb" trail. Whoever named it that needs their
"breadcrumbs" shoved....nevermind. It's about as useful as milk bucket
under a bull to me when I want an up button!

--
blueskip
blueskip's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50894

http://forums.techarena.in