Ghost RECYCLER

8-Ball

Ghost RECYCLER

Ok, so one time I accidently deleted some family photos from my computer and
before I realized I had deleted them I had emptied my desktop recycle bin
*oops*

Sooo...I looked arond online and found a way to navigate DOSs' "secret"
RECYCLER directory and had to manually fish out my files. Apperantly windows
keeps a copy of EVERYTHING I have EVER deleted....Shouldn't this not
happen?!?
Furthermore I dont know how to delete them from this "ghost" directory.
What if I want to sell my computer or it gets stolen; I dont want some punk
kid to jack all the files I thought I deleted!!!
==>This scenario occured on a Dell running WinXP, this directory also shows
up on my Dell XPS running WinVISTA<==

Why is there a "ghost recycler"? Why dont I have (easy) access to it? Why
can't I delete files from it? AND WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT IT???

James Truelove

Re: Ghost RECYCLER
"8-Ball" <8Ball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Ok, so one time I accidently deleted some family photos from my computer
> and
> before I realized I had deleted them I had emptied my desktop recycle bin
> *oops*
>
> Sooo...I looked arond online and found a way to navigate DOSs' "secret"
> RECYCLER directory and had to manually fish out my files. Apperantly
> windows
> keeps a copy of EVERYTHING I have EVER deleted....Shouldn't this not
> happen?!?
> Furthermore I dont know how to delete them from this "ghost" directory.
> What if I want to sell my computer or it gets stolen; I dont want some
> punk
> kid to jack all the files I thought I deleted!!!
> ==>This scenario occured on a Dell running WinXP, this directory also
> shows
> up on my Dell XPS running WinVISTA<==
>
> Why is there a "ghost recycler"? Why dont I have (easy) access to it? Why
> can't I delete files from it? AND WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT IT???

Interesting! I did know vaguely that when files were deleted the file
alloction table deleted the first letter of the filename so it could not be
found BUT I did not know about this hidden recycler folder? I presume you
are somehow accessing the recycle bin with deleted files in it even when you
have emptied it via the right click option?
How do you reveal this Ghost Directory or Folder in Vista?
James

DP

Re: Ghost RECYCLER

"8-Ball" <8Ball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Furthermore I dont know how to delete them from this "ghost" directory.

> What if I want to sell my computer or it gets stolen; I dont want some
> punk
> kid to jack all the files I thought I deleted!!!

Is there some dos command you can use to delete those files?

Richard Urban

Re: Ghost RECYCLER
With the proper resources, time and determination most any file can be
recovered from a hard drive.

It has nothing to do with a hidden recycle bin.

"8-Ball" <8Ball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Ok, so one time I accidently deleted some family photos from my computer
> and
> before I realized I had deleted them I had emptied my desktop recycle bin
> *oops*
>
> Sooo...I looked arond online and found a way to navigate DOSs' "secret"
> RECYCLER directory and had to manually fish out my files. Apperantly
> windows
> keeps a copy of EVERYTHING I have EVER deleted....Shouldn't this not
> happen?!?
> Furthermore I dont know how to delete them from this "ghost" directory.
> What if I want to sell my computer or it gets stolen; I dont want some
> punk
> kid to jack all the files I thought I deleted!!!
> ==>This scenario occured on a Dell running WinXP, this directory also
> shows
> up on my Dell XPS running WinVISTA<==
>
> Why is there a "ghost recycler"? Why dont I have (easy) access to it? Why
> can't I delete files from it? AND WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT IT???

James

Re: Ghost RECYCLER
Thanks for telling us what it is not! Can you explain what it is?

> With the proper resources, time and determination most any file can be
> recovered from a hard drive.
>
> It has nothing to do with a hidden recycle bin.
>

> "8-Ball" <8Ball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Ok, so one time I accidently deleted some family photos from my computer
>> and
>> before I realized I had deleted them I had emptied my desktop recycle bin
>> *oops*
>>
>> Sooo...I looked arond online and found a way to navigate DOSs' "secret"
>> RECYCLER directory and had to manually fish out my files. Apperantly
>> windows
>> keeps a copy of EVERYTHING I have EVER deleted....Shouldn't this not
>> happen?!?
>> Furthermore I dont know how to delete them from this "ghost" directory.
>> What if I want to sell my computer or it gets stolen; I dont want some
>> punk
>> kid to jack all the files I thought I deleted!!!
>> ==>This scenario occured on a Dell running WinXP, this directory also
>> shows
>> up on my Dell XPS running WinVISTA<==
>>
>> Why is there a "ghost recycler"? Why dont I have (easy) access to it? Why
>> can't I delete files from it? AND WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT IT???

Richard Urban

Re: Ghost RECYCLER
It is simply the fact that upon deleting a file the reference to the file is
removed from the file allocation table. The file data itself is still on the
hard drive until the space is re-used by another file.

Nothing magical about it and it has nothing to do with a hidden recycle bin.
There are many programs out there to recover files that have been deleted.
Some programs do a better job than others. If these programs fail to do what
they claim to do there are always professional companies that specialize in
hard drive recovery.

"James" <james.truelove@nospam.sky.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for telling us what it is not! Can you explain what it is?

>> With the proper resources, time and determination most any file can be
>> recovered from a hard drive.
>>
>> It has nothing to do with a hidden recycle bin.
>>

>> "8-Ball" <8Ball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Ok, so one time I accidently deleted some family photos from my computer
>>> and
>>> before I realized I had deleted them I had emptied my desktop recycle
>>> bin
>>> *oops*
>>>
>>> Sooo...I looked arond online and found a way to navigate DOSs' "secret"
>>> RECYCLER directory and had to manually fish out my files. Apperantly
>>> windows
>>> keeps a copy of EVERYTHING I have EVER deleted....Shouldn't this not
>>> happen?!?
>>> Furthermore I dont know how to delete them from this "ghost" directory.
>>> What if I want to sell my computer or it gets stolen; I dont want some
>>> punk
>>> kid to jack all the files I thought I deleted!!!
>>> ==>This scenario occured on a Dell running WinXP, this directory also
>>> shows
>>> up on my Dell XPS running WinVISTA<==
>>>
>>> Why is there a "ghost recycler"? Why dont I have (easy) access to it?
>>> Why
>>> can't I delete files from it? AND WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT IT???

James

Re: Ghost RECYCLER
As previously mentioned I know about the FAT and files being on the hard
drive after deletion. I was more curious about the 'Ghost Directory' in DOS
that 8-Ball was talking about?

> It is simply the fact that upon deleting a file the reference to the file
> is removed from the file allocation table. The file data itself is still
> on the hard drive until the space is re-used by another file.
>
> Nothing magical about it and it has nothing to do with a hidden recycle
> bin. There are many programs out there to recover files that have been
> deleted. Some programs do a better job than others. If these programs fail
> to do what they claim to do there are always professional companies that
> specialize in hard drive recovery.
>

> "James" <james.truelove@nospam.sky.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for telling us what it is not! Can you explain what it is?
>>
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> With the proper resources, time and determination most any file can be
>>> recovered from a hard drive.
>>>
>>> It has nothing to do with a hidden recycle bin.

Richard Urban

Re: Ghost RECYCLER
Maybe 8-ball will come back with a "qualified" link to this supposed "ghost
directory" that he is referring to that exists in DOS (DOS doesn't exist in
Vista).

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Maybe 8-ball will come back with a "qualified" link to this supposed "ghost
> directory" that he is referring to that exists in DOS (DOS doesn't exist in
> Vista).

Ok, first im not good with computers and hope to learn more from people on
this fourm than they will probably learn from me. the DOS i am refferring to
can be accessed by clicking the start icon, searching in the box for 'cmd'
and right clicking the icon and selecting 'run as administrator'. (i doubt
this is the original)
second, im sorry if i confused anyone with the term 'ghost recycler' becasue
it is not the recycle bin and i made up the term myself. I used a program
called "Restoration version 2.5.14" to recall my files from the 'abyss'.
however this program does not let ou delet the files. I used this program
becasue the DOS option did not work. i look again for the link to the DOS
instructions i used the first time but am unable to fint them; they were on
another fourm.