Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents

Tim Gowen

Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents
A Vista Business user cannot get access to his My Documents folder on the C:
drive. Normally I encourage people to use the H: drive but in this case I
need to allow that user access to C:.

Is this a Vista security feature for domain member systems? Can I get
around it by giving the user access to his user directory in Documents &
Settings? I tried to do this but changed rights in C:\Users which seems to
be a link to the other folder and so the rights didn't work.

I'm fairly new to Vista; we only have one non-Admin using it, hence the
simple question.

Tim
Bob

Re: Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents
The Vista folders beginning with "My" are not real folders. They are
junctions (shortcuts) which point to the corresponding folder e.g. "My
Music" points to "Music".
The Junction Points are in Vista for backward compatibility of pre-Vista
applications. Pre-Vista applications (applications written for XP and 2000)
look for folders that are no longer used in Vista. Folders with the “My”
prefix such as My Documents, My Pictures, and so on. There are also folders
in your user profile that have been changed in Vista, and pre-Vista apps
might be looking for the old folder structure during installation. If you
don’t set the option to Show Hidden Files in Windows Explorer, you will
rarely even see the Junction Point folders.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A Vista Business user cannot get access to his My Documents folder on the
>C:
> drive. Normally I encourage people to use the H: drive but in this case I
> need to allow that user access to C:.
>
> Is this a Vista security feature for domain member systems? Can I get
> around it by giving the user access to his user directory in Documents &
> Settings? I tried to do this but changed rights in C:\Users which seems
> be a link to the other folder and so the rights didn't work.
>
> I'm fairly new to Vista; we only have one non-Admin using it, hence the
> simple question.
>

> Tim

Kerry Brown

Re: Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents
"Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A Vista Business user cannot get access to his My Documents folder on the
>C:
> drive. Normally I encourage people to use the H: drive but in this case I
> need to allow that user access to C:.
>
> Is this a Vista security feature for domain member systems? Can I get
> around it by giving the user access to his user directory in Documents &
> Settings? I tried to do this but changed rights in C:\Users which seems
> be a link to the other folder and so the rights didn't work.
>
> I'm fairly new to Vista; we only have one non-Admin using it, hence the
> simple question.

There is no "C:\Documents and Settings" folder in Vista. It is a junction
pointing to "C:\Users". You can't access it as it's not a real location.

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Tim Gowen

Re: Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents
OK, so if I want to enable a user access to their documents folder on the
local drive, which directory do I need to change rights on? I have already
granted rights to c:\users\myuser\ which I thought would be enough.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A Vista Business user cannot get access to his My Documents folder on the
> >C:
> > drive. Normally I encourage people to use the H: drive but in this case I
> > need to allow that user access to C:.
> >
> > Is this a Vista security feature for domain member systems? Can I get
> > around it by giving the user access to his user directory in Documents &
> > Settings? I tried to do this but changed rights in C:\Users which seems
> > be a link to the other folder and so the rights didn't work.
> >
> > I'm fairly new to Vista; we only have one non-Admin using it, hence the
> > simple question.
> >

> There is no "C:\Documents and Settings" folder in Vista. It is a junction
> pointing to "C:\Users". You can't access it as it's not a real location.
>
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Bob

Re: Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents

See: Sharing files with the Public folder
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...5c2de1033.mspx
-------

> OK, so if I want to enable a user access to their documents folder on the
> local drive, which directory do I need to change rights on? I have
> already
> granted rights to c:\users\myuser\ which I thought would be enough.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >A Vista Business user cannot get access to his My Documents folder on
>> >the
>> >C:
>> > drive. Normally I encourage people to use the H: drive but in this
>> > case I
>> > need to allow that user access to C:.
>> >
>> > Is this a Vista security feature for domain member systems? Can I get
>> > around it by giving the user access to his user directory in Documents
>> > &
>> > Settings? I tried to do this but changed rights in C:\Users which
>> > seems
>> > be a link to the other folder and so the rights didn't work.
>> >
>> > I'm fairly new to Vista; we only have one non-Admin using it, hence the
>> > simple question.
>> >

>> There is no "C:\Documents and Settings" folder in Vista. It is a junction
>> pointing to "C:\Users". You can't access it as it's not a real location.
>>
>> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Dave

Re: Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents
In Vista, the "Documents & Settings" has been replaced with "\Users" and "My
Documents" has been replaced with "Documents".
So the user documents are now stored in C:\Users\(login)\Documents
The user should have no problem saving to this folder, or to any of the
other folders under his login folder.

Most of the familiar XP standard folders are now junction points.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A Vista Business user cannot get access to his My Documents folder on the
> C:
> drive. Normally I encourage people to use the H: drive but in this case I
> need to allow that user access to C:.
>
> Is this a Vista security feature for domain member systems? Can I get
> around it by giving the user access to his user directory in Documents &
> Settings? I tried to do this but changed rights in C:\Users which seems
> be a link to the other folder and so the rights didn't work.
>
> I'm fairly new to Vista; we only have one non-Admin using it, hence the
> simple question.
>

> Tim

Kerry Brown

Re: Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents
I'm not understanding something. A user automatically has permissions to use
the folders in their profile. How did you end up in this position? If you
detail the steps of how you got here we may be able to offer a fix. It
sounds like you have redirected their documents to H: (possibly a network
location) and now want to change this back to the default location on C:?

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK, so if I want to enable a user access to their documents folder on the
> local drive, which directory do I need to change rights on? I have
> already
> granted rights to c:\users\myuser\ which I thought would be enough.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >A Vista Business user cannot get access to his My Documents folder on
>> >the
>> >C:
>> > drive. Normally I encourage people to use the H: drive but in this
>> > case I
>> > need to allow that user access to C:.
>> >
>> > Is this a Vista security feature for domain member systems? Can I get
>> > around it by giving the user access to his user directory in Documents
>> > &
>> > Settings? I tried to do this but changed rights in C:\Users which
>> > seems
>> > be a link to the other folder and so the rights didn't work.
>> >
>> > I'm fairly new to Vista; we only have one non-Admin using it, hence the
>> > simple question.
>> >

>> There is no "C:\Documents and Settings" folder in Vista. It is a junction
>> pointing to "C:\Users". You can't access it as it's not a real location.
>>
>> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Tim Gowen

Re: Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents
All my users have their home directories set to H:\ but that doesn't normally
prevent access to their My Documents on the C: drive. In XP I tend to direct
their My Documents to H: which, again, doesn't shut off access to the profile
on C.

This particular user will have an H: drive just like everyone else but his
access to My Documents on C is denied, and I can't work out why.

Tim

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> I'm not understanding something. A user automatically has permissions to use
> the folders in their profile. How did you end up in this position? If you
> detail the steps of how you got here we may be able to offer a fix. It
> sounds like you have redirected their documents to H: (possibly a network
> location) and now want to change this back to the default location on C:?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK, so if I want to enable a user access to their documents folder on the
> > local drive, which directory do I need to change rights on? I have
> > already
> > granted rights to c:\users\myuser\ which I thought would be enough.
> >
> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> "Tim Gowen" <TimGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> There is no "C:\Documents and Settings" folder in Vista. It is a junction
> >> pointing to "C:\Users". You can't access it as it's not a real location.
> >>
> >> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> >> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Kerry Brown

Re: Access to \Documents & Settings\User\My Documents
If you could document the process involved it would help. Start by how you
created the user (e.g. is this a local user or a domain user?), how you
redirected the Documents folder, how you created the local Documents folder
on C:. etc. Note that Vista does not have a "My Documents" folder but a
"Documents" folder. The terminology may be important.