Need to delete a file but Vista does not let me.

Michael Moser

Need to delete a file but Vista does not let me.
Occasionally Vista and its permission handling really drives me nuts: I
needed to replace a certain .exe file in a subdirectory of "C:\Program
Files" but for some, to me unexplainable, reason Vista at first did not
let me delete the old version.

The file was owned by "Administrators" of which I am a member. When I
checked "Effective Permissions" of that file for my user-id I had ALL
necessary permissions (including "Full Control", "Delete" and "Take
Ownership"). However, if I tried to delete the file or take ownership,
then I got errors that I don't have the necessary permission.

Only after I added my user-id explicitly to the file's permission list
and gave me "Full Control" , then I was able to delete the file. Why was
it not enough that I am of user type "Administrator" and also member of
the "Administrators"-group?

Michael

Oli

RE: Need to delete a file but Vista does not let me.
Yea! Whats up with this, never had this problem with xp. A very well worded
moan Micheal.

"Michael Moser" wrote:

> Occasionally Vista and its permission handling really drives me nuts: I
> needed to replace a certain .exe file in a subdirectory of "C:\Program
> Files" but for some, to me unexplainable, reason Vista at first did not
> let me delete the old version.
>
> The file was owned by "Administrators" of which I am a member. When I
> checked "Effective Permissions" of that file for my user-id I had ALL
> necessary permissions (including "Full Control", "Delete" and "Take
> Ownership"). However, if I tried to delete the file or take ownership,
> then I got errors that I don't have the necessary permission.
>
> Only after I added my user-id explicitly to the file's permission list
> and gave me "Full Control" , then I was able to delete the file. Why was
> it not enough that I am of user type "Administrator" and also member of
> the "Administrators"-group?
>
> Michael

Bob

Re: Need to delete a file but Vista does not let me.
Google "Real Administrator"
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> Occasionally Vista and its permission handling really drives me nuts: I
> needed to replace a certain .exe file in a subdirectory of "C:\Program
> Files" but for some, to me unexplainable, reason Vista at first did not
> let me delete the old version.
>
> The file was owned by "Administrators" of which I am a member. When I
> checked "Effective Permissions" of that file for my user-id I had ALL
> necessary permissions (including "Full Control", "Delete" and "Take
> Ownership"). However, if I tried to delete the file or take ownership,
> then I got errors that I don't have the necessary permission.
>
> Only after I added my user-id explicitly to the file's permission list and
> gave me "Full Control" , then I was able to delete the file. Why was it
> not enough that I am of user type "Administrator" and also member of the
> "Administrators"-group?
>
> Michael

Kerry Brown

Re: Need to delete a file but Vista does not let me.
"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> Occasionally Vista and its permission handling really drives me nuts: I
> needed to replace a certain .exe file in a subdirectory of "C:\Program
> Files" but for some, to me unexplainable, reason Vista at first did not
> let me delete the old version.
>
> The file was owned by "Administrators" of which I am a member. When I
> checked "Effective Permissions" of that file for my user-id I had ALL
> necessary permissions (including "Full Control", "Delete" and "Take
> Ownership"). However, if I tried to delete the file or take ownership,
> then I got errors that I don't have the necessary permission.
>
> Only after I added my user-id explicitly to the file's permission list and
> gave me "Full Control" , then I was able to delete the file. Why was it
> not enough that I am of user type "Administrator" and also member of the
> "Administrators"-group?

Do you have UAC turned off?

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Michael Moser

Kerry Brown wrote:

> Do you have UAC turned off?

No.

Kerry Brown

> Kerry Brown wrote:

>> Do you have UAC turned off?

> No.

I seen having UAC off cause problems when trying to change permissions with
Windows Explorer. I don't know what would have caused the problem you
experienced. For troublesome files you may have to take ownership and change
permissions from an elevated command prompt.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Axel Dahmen

Re: Need to delete a file but Vista does not let me.
I was reading this thread with high interest as I'm having the same kind of trouble...

Kerry, your first reply gave me the idea to turn UAC off. And, in fact, that was the solution to my problem. So my experience is quite contrary to what you've written in your last response.

Strange...

Axel Dahmen

-------------
"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0D0BA095-B33B-4692-A3A8-070B5E745FDB@microsoft.com...
> "Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
>> Kerry Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you have UAC turned off?

>> No.
>>

> I seen having UAC off cause problems when trying to change permissions with
> Windows Explorer. I don't know what would have caused the problem you
> experienced. For troublesome files you may have to take ownership and change
> permissions from an elevated command prompt.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Kerry Brown

Re: Need to delete a file but Vista does not let me.
The method needed to modify ACLs may differ depending on the existing ACls,
what type of account you are logged on as, if UAC is on/off, and what
program you are using to modify the ACLs.

--

"Axel Dahmen" <keentoknow@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
I was reading this thread with high interest as I'm having the same kind of
trouble...

Kerry, your first reply gave me the idea to turn UAC off. And, in fact, that
was the solution to my problem. So my experience is quite contrary to what
you've written in your last response.

Axel Dahmen

Re: Need to delete a file but Vista does not let me.
I'm logged in as a member of the Administrators group. I've switched off UAC using the User Accounts control panel. (* not sure if it's "User Accounts" in English. I'm using the German version of Vista/W2k8).

Appreciate your help!

Axel Dahmen