RE: ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre

ScottK

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either
> directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post,
> I will go over what UAC does, how it works, the reasoning behind it, how to
> use your computer with UAC on, why you shouldn't turn UAC off, and answer
> some common questions and respond to common complaints about it.
>
>> * UAC is annoying, I want to turn it off

> Having to go through an extra step (clicking Continue) when opening
> administrative programs is annoying. And it is also very frustrating to run
> a program that needs admin power but doesn't automatically ask you for it
> (you have to right-click these programs and click Run As Administrator for
> them to run correctly).
>
> But, keep in mind that these small inconveniences are insignificant when
> weighed against the benefit: NO PROGRAM can get full access to your system
> without you being informed. The first time the permission dialog pops up and
> it is from some program that you know nothing about or that you do not want
> to have access to your system, you will be very glad that the Cancel button
> was available to you.
>
> - JB
>
> Vista Support FAQ
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

I think I missed the answer to the question, "UAC is annoying how do I turn
it off?" I am doing a copy and replace, small directories, which are each
located with in separate .zip files that I need to copy and replace from My
Documents to another drive. Having to do 6 to 8 mouse clicks for each of two
dozen directories is NOT FUN. Again, How do I turn it off?
Bob

Re: ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre
To disable UAC prompts NOT UAC aka "Quiet Mode"

Run Regedit and navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]

Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin from "2" to "0".

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375