freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers

Cynthia

freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
Please someone help me. I have tried and tried to back up my files in my
recovery partiton for several weeks now every week I back up but I keep
getting this ballon that the by disk is full and never freeing any space I
can access my recovery to manually remve them every back is sucessfull. I
have the knife on my wrist
--
Cynthia, Chicago,IL
Gordon

Re: freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
"Cynthia" <Cynthia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please someone help me. I have tried and tried to back up my files in my
> recovery partiton for several weeks now every week I back up but I keep
> getting this ballon that the by disk is full and never freeing any space I
> can access my recovery to manually remve them every back is sucessfull. I
> have the knife on my wrist

Why are you trying to backup files into your RECOVERY partition? That is a
SYSTEM partition that contains files to recover your OPERATING SYSTEM.

Cynthia

Re: freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
Ok Gordon,
Please tell what I am doing wrong my system is keep telling me to back up
but when I back it up it still tell me that I have no more space do I need
more memory or what please help me tell what to do and how do I free up space
in my recovery partition and no I am not backing INTO my recovery I am trying
to back FROM recovery and I havent added any thing new to my system matter of
fact i have been deleting programs to give it space
--
Cynthia, Chicago,IL

newsC0E6C66-5A7D-45AD-8C82-113FEFFF53AE@microsoft.com...
> Ok Gordon,
> Please tell what I am doing wrong my system is keep telling me to back up
> but when I back it up it still tell me that I have no more space do I need
> more memory or what please help me tell what to do and how do I free up
> space
> in my recovery partition and no I am not backing INTO my recovery I am
> trying
> to back FROM recovery and I havent added any thing new to my system matter
> of
> fact i have been deleting programs to give it space

Your post makes no sense.

You are talking about two entirely different operations.
BACKUP means to make a copy of your data (documents, email, favorites and
possibly settings) onto (preferably) some sort of removable storage such as
an external USB Hard disk.

The RECOVERY partition is used in conjunction with your RECOVERY CD that
came with your computer to restore your computer to how it was when it left
the factory gate. That is the ONLY function of the RECOVERY partition, and
you should not be trying to do anything with it, unless you want to return
your machine to the "new" state.

Please tell us EXACTLY what you are trying to do and how you are trying to
do it...

Bob

Re: freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
Leave the recovery partition alone!
See your computer documentation for creating recovery disks.

I'm not sure what you're saying but if you have deleted the recovery files
you'll need to purchase the disks from your OEM.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

> "Cynthia" <Cynthia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Please someone help me. I have tried and tried to back up my files in my
>> recovery partiton for several weeks now every week I back up but I keep
>> getting this ballon that the by disk is full and never freeing any space
>> can access my recovery to manually remve them every back is sucessfull.
>> have the knife on my wrist

Cynthia

Re: freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
Ok Bob
I will so what am I doing wrong I tried and tried to back up with Windows
One Care and no go I still do a back and the back up is sucessful but I still
get the ballon saying that it is needs a back up and thank you for telling
what I didnt know about my recovery and yes I will not bother it again I
thought due to no space on it I thought it was the problem
--
Cynthia, Chicago,IL

"Bob" wrote:

> Leave the recovery partition alone!
> See your computer documentation for creating recovery disks.
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying but if you have deleted the recovery files
> you'll need to purchase the disks from your OEM.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> > "Cynthia" <Cynthia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Please someone help me. I have tried and tried to back up my files in my
> >> recovery partiton for several weeks now every week I back up but I keep
> >> getting this ballon that the by disk is full and never freeing any space
> >> can access my recovery to manually remve them every back is sucessfull.
> >> have the knife on my wrist

Bob

Re: freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
You're welcome Cynthia.

Be sure to check the documentation that came with your computer and make
recovery DVDs, not CDs.

In addition to One Care do you have any other anti-virus, firewall, or
anti-spyware program on your computer? Many computers come with security
programs preinstalled which could cause a conflict.

It's not clear, so please tell me if you are using One Care to backup or the
backup program which is part of Vista. Where are you backing up to? DVD?
External hard drive? How often do you backup? Is it automatic or manual?
What version of Vista do you have? Is it Vista Basic, Home Premium, Vista
Ultimate? Please use punctuation when you reply so it's easier to
understand what you are saying. Thank you.

> Ok Bob
> I will so what am I doing wrong I tried and tried to back up with Windows
> One Care and no go I still do a back and the back up is sucessful but I
> still
> get the ballon saying that it is needs a back up and thank you for telling
> what I didnt know about my recovery and yes I will not bother it again I
> thought due to no space on it I thought it was the problem
> --
> Cynthia, Chicago,IL
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Leave the recovery partition alone!
>> See your computer documentation for creating recovery disks.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you're saying but if you have deleted the recovery
>> files
>> you'll need to purchase the disks from your OEM.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
>> so
>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> [How to ask a question]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:09:01 -0700, Cynthia
<Cynthia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Please someone help me. I have tried and tried to back up my files in my
> recovery partiton for several weeks now every week I back up but I keep
> getting this ballon that the by disk is full and never freeing any space I
> can access my recovery to manually remve them every back is sucessfull. I
> have the knife on my wrist

Are you trying to back up files *to* your recovery partition?

No, you can't do that. Yes, it's full. It was delivered to you full,
and its purpose is *not* for you to use as a place to back up your
data files to. It's where your computer manufacturer put the operating
system installation files so you can rebuild Windows if necessary.

Moreover, a second partition on your hard drive is the *worst*
possible place to use for backup. It's better than no backup at all,
but just barely. It is always possible that a user error, sever
power glitch, nearby lightning strike, virus attack, even theft of the
computer, can cause the loss of everything at once.

In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept
in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the
life of your business depends on your data) you should have multiple
generations of backup, and at least one of those generations should be
stored off-site. Backup to an external drive, one that you connect
only when performing a backup, is fine.

Here's an article I wrote recently that will give general guidance on
backing up: http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=314

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Cynthia

Re: freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
Thank You Ken!

I didnt know that so I will not try that again and the article that you
wrote was very informtive again thanks
--
Cynthia, Chicago,IL

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:09:01 -0700, Cynthia
> <Cynthia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Please someone help me. I have tried and tried to back up my files in my
> > recovery partiton for several weeks now every week I back up but I keep
> > getting this ballon that the by disk is full and never freeing any space I
> > can access my recovery to manually remve them every back is sucessfull. I
> > have the knife on my wrist

> Are you trying to back up files *to* your recovery partition?
>
> No, you can't do that. Yes, it's full. It was delivered to you full,
> and its purpose is *not* for you to use as a place to back up your
> data files to. It's where your computer manufacturer put the operating
> system installation files so you can rebuild Windows if necessary.
>
> Moreover, a second partition on your hard drive is the *worst*
> possible place to use for backup. It's better than no backup at all,
> but just barely. It is always possible that a user error, sever
> power glitch, nearby lightning strike, virus attack, even theft of the
> computer, can cause the loss of everything at once.
>
> In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept
> in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the
> life of your business depends on your data) you should have multiple
> generations of backup, and at least one of those generations should be
> stored off-site. Backup to an external drive, one that you connect
> only when performing a backup, is fine.
>
> Here's an article I wrote recently that will give general guidance on
> backing up: http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=314
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:49:01 -0700, Cynthia
<Cynthia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank You Ken!
>
> I didnt know that so I will not try that again and the article that you
> wrote was very informtive again thanks

You're welcome, Cynthia. Glad to help, and glad you liked my article.