Filenames Do Not Match

Dzomlija

Filenames Do Not Match

Can anyone explain this:
3219

The screenshot shows the folder view (in Windows Explorer), and a
directory listing (in a Command Line window). Why is the Explorer window
showing different filenames than the command line window?

It's not so much of an issue, as I'm currently completing a scheduled
backup of this drive using Nero Burning ROM, and will be formatting it
soon.

But what if this "glitch" happens again?

|Filename: Filenames_Dont_Match.jpg |
|Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3219|

Dzomlija

Peter Alexander Dzomlija
-Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...-

_*Prometheus*_
MOBO: ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP
CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
RAM: 2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
GPU: ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO, 256MB
BOX: Thermaltake Tai-Chi Water Cooled
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate x64
'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333562)'[image:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/333562.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/333562.png)
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Filenames Do Not Match
When you rename the User shell folders, the renaming is done via the
folder's desktop.ini file with a line like this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName= Old Downloads

The actual folder name stays the same, so that it's in sync with the entries
in the registry under:

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell Folders]

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

newszomlija.36ugm5@no-mx.forums.net...

Keith Miller \(MVP\);661846 Wrote:
> When you rename the User shell folders, the renaming is done via the
> folder's desktop.ini file with a line like this:
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> LocalizedResourceName= Old Downloads
>
> The actual folder name stays the same, so that it's in sync with the
> entries
> in the registry under:
>
> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell
> Folders]

I understand that, but I haven't yet redirected my user folder to the
D:! I only finished building this machine on Friday, and have over the
past few days been pre-occupied with data recovery efforts on a lost
JBOD array. The D: you see in the screenshot comes right out of my old
computer.

Oddly enough though, when I turned the computer on this morning, the
filenames matched, and when I renamed a folder back to "Old Downloads",
the name change was reflected in both Windows Explorer and Command Line.

See here:
3221

Oh, well. I'll chalk this one up as one of those little mysteries...

|Filename: Filenames_Dont_Match2.jpg |
|Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3221|

Dzomlija

Peter Alexander Dzomlija
-Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...-

_*Prometheus*_
MOBO: ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP
CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
RAM: 2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
GPU: ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO, 256MB
BOX: Thermaltake Tai-Chi Water Cooled
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate x64
'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333562)'[image:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/333562.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/333562.png)
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Filenames Do Not Match
So you're saying you never renamed them to 'Old <foldername>'?

That is weird.

--

newszomlija.36v5m5@no-mx.forums.net...

Keith Miller \(MVP\);662199 Wrote:
> So you're saying you never renamed them to 'Old <foldername>'?
>
> That is weird.
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

Actually, prior to building my new computer, I had that hard drive
plugged into a Windows XP machine so that I could determine whether the
hard drives where working or not (The old machine suffered a major surge
that wasn't stopped by the UPS). It was there that I appended "Old " to
the folder names.

When I plugged the drive into the new Vista machine, I got the results
that you saw in the screenshot.

--
Dzomlija

Peter Alexander Dzomlija
-Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...-

_*Prometheus*_
MOBO: ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP
CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
RAM: 2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
GPU: ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO, 256MB
BOX: Thermaltake Tai-Chi Water Cooled
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate x64
'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333562)'[image:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/333562.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/333562.png)
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Filenames Do Not Match
Just tested more & I misspoke.

It's not just User shell folders -- any folder that has a display name
assigned by the LocalizedResourceName entry in desktop.ini will, when
renamed, change the LocalizedResourceName rather than the actual folder name
in the file system.

A folder has to have its read-only attribute set to tell Explorer to process
its desktop.ini file. Perhaps the read-only attribute was cleared when the
folder reverted to its actual name.

--

newszomlija.36vji9@no-mx.forums.net...