Vista-Ultimate, Offline files not working (NAS)

Jurjen de Groot

Vista-Ultimate, Offline files not working (NAS)
I have a notebook with Vista-Ultimate on it.
I have a Intel SS4000-E NAS unit in my network on wich all of my data
resides.I have marked several files/folders for 'allways available offline'
but when I'm offline I can't open the files (Error: 0x800710FE: This file is
currently not available for use on this computer). Syncing also gives an
error for each and every file in the Sync-Center 'The process cannot access
the file because it is being used by another process' while I'm the only
user on the system at this time and it's NOT in use.

I've read that offline files may not work correctly with NAS units, I've
also seen some postings about making changes to the 'samba' software ?? But
I don't know how to do that or if the SS4000 even uses Samba...

I'm not sure how to proceed, but I really, really, really need my offline
files

Can someone please help me ?

TIA,
Jurjen.

Bob

Re: Vista-Ultimate, Offline files not working (NAS)
Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista

http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

"Jurjen de Groot" <Jurjen.de.Groot@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>I have a notebook with Vista-Ultimate on it.
> I have a Intel SS4000-E NAS unit in my network on wich all of my data
> resides.I have marked several files/folders for 'allways available
> offline' but when I'm offline I can't open the files (Error: 0x800710FE:
> This file is currently not available for use on this computer). Syncing
> also gives an error for each and every file in the Sync-Center 'The
> process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
> process' while I'm the only user on the system at this time and it's NOT
> in use.
>
> I've read that offline files may not work correctly with NAS units, I've
> also seen some postings about making changes to the 'samba' software ??
> But
> I don't know how to do that or if the SS4000 even uses Samba...
>
> I'm not sure how to proceed, but I really, really, really need my offline
> files
>

> Can someone please help me ?
>
> TIA,
> Jurjen.

Jurjen de Groot

Re: Vista-Ultimate, Offline files not working (NAS)
Bob,

How is this supposed to help ?

Jurjen.

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:LcudnSNWmNmSr3XanZ2dnUVZ_t6onZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
>

> "Jurjen de Groot" <Jurjen.de.Groot@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>I have a notebook with Vista-Ultimate on it.
>> I have a Intel SS4000-E NAS unit in my network on wich all of my data
>> resides.I have marked several files/folders for 'allways available
>> offline' but when I'm offline I can't open the files (Error: 0x800710FE:
>> This file is currently not available for use on this computer). Syncing
>> also gives an error for each and every file in the Sync-Center 'The
>> process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
>> process' while I'm the only user on the system at this time and it's NOT
>> in use.
>>
>> I've read that offline files may not work correctly with NAS units, I've
>> also seen some postings about making changes to the 'samba' software ??
>> But
>> I don't know how to do that or if the SS4000 even uses Samba...
>>
>> I'm not sure how to proceed, but I really, really, really need my offline
>> files
>>

>> Can someone please help me ?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Jurjen.

Bob

Re: Vista-Ultimate, Offline files not working (NAS)
Try it and find out.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

> Bob,
>
> How is this supposed to help ?
>
> Jurjen.
>
> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:LcudnSNWmNmSr3XanZ2dnUVZ_t6onZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>>
>> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
>>

>> "Jurjen de Groot" <Jurjen.de.Groot@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>>I have a notebook with Vista-Ultimate on it.
>>> I have a Intel SS4000-E NAS unit in my network on wich all of my data
>>> resides.I have marked several files/folders for 'allways available
>>> offline' but when I'm offline I can't open the files (Error: 0x800710FE:
>>> This file is currently not available for use on this computer). Syncing
>>> also gives an error for each and every file in the Sync-Center 'The
>>> process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
>>> process' while I'm the only user on the system at this time and it's NOT
>>> in use.
>>>
>>> I've read that offline files may not work correctly with NAS units, I've
>>> also seen some postings about making changes to the 'samba' software ??
>>> But
>>> I don't know how to do that or if the SS4000 even uses Samba...
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how to proceed, but I really, really, really need my
>>> offline files
>>>

>>> Can someone please help me ?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Jurjen.

Jurjen de Groot

Re: Vista-Ultimate, Offline files not working (NAS)
Well too bad you won't tell me some more, I'm not going to install something
based on 'try and find out'

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:2oGdnQ20GPgehnTanZ2dnUVZ_tqtnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Try it and find out.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
> so that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "Jurjen de Groot" <Jurjen.de.Groot@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> Bob,
>>
>> How is this supposed to help ?
>>
>> Jurjen.
>>
>> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> news:LcudnSNWmNmSr3XanZ2dnUVZ_t6onZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>>>
>>> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

Bob

Re: Vista-Ultimate, Offline files not working (NAS)
Your problem, your choice. Google is your friend.
-------

> Well too bad you won't tell me some more, I'm not going to install
> something based on 'try and find out'
>

> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:2oGdnQ20GPgehnTanZ2dnUVZ_tqtnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Try it and find out.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
>> so that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> [How to ask a question]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>
>> "Jurjen de Groot" <Jurjen.de.Groot@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>> Bob,
>>>
>>> How is this supposed to help ?
>>>
>>> Jurjen.
>>>
>>> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> news:LcudnSNWmNmSr3XanZ2dnUVZ_t6onZ2d@comcast.com. ..

jonburchel@gmail.com

Re: Vista-Ultimate, Offline files not working (NAS)
Bob is kind of an idiot... There are often problems where using the
Own approach will fix them, but an in use file is unfortunately not
one of them. And why not just answer the damn question? Probably
because you didn't actually know the answer but just recite a
memorized solution? :| The offline file problem with in use files
(like an Outlook data store, since Outlook is almost always open on a
typical business desktop) is really lame...

<jonburchel@gmail.com> wrote in message
Bob is kind of an idiot... There are often problems where using the
Own approach will fix them, but an in use file is unfortunately not
one of them. And why not just answer the damn question? Probably
because you didn't actually know the answer but just recite a
memorized solution? :| The offline file problem with in use files
(like an Outlook data store, since Outlook is almost always open on a
typical business desktop) is really lame...

/ ~ \
|\__/
| |
| . |