Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders

=?Utf-8?B?SmFjY2kgRXViYW5r?=

Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders
I've read your reply and PETER M's reply. I think you are answering the area
I need help in but the answers aren't quite working. I'm trying to backup
Quicken and it just won't work. When I try to BACKUP to C: , it tells me C
is READ ONLY. I have tried creating new folders in the root of C, C:
Users:Jacci Eubank and Cesktop and none will allow me to perform this
backup. All say that C is READ ONLY. I' getting NO WHERE! Please advise.

Jacci

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> By default, you only have write access to folders and files that are inside
> your user directory (c:\users\yourname), some hidden folders, and any folder
> that you have created.
>
> The only time you should need write access to any folders outside of this
> area is when doing system administration or installing a program.
>
> This can be done easily by running whatever tool or install program you are
> using "As Administrator" by right-clicking it and clicking Run As
> Administrator, which will allow the tool to access the system.
>
> This is the new way of doing things in Windows Vista - the system is locked
> down, and only programs that you Run As Administrator or that automatically
> ask you for permission are allowed access to your computer. This will
> prevent programs from gaining access to your computer without your
> knowledge.
>
> This "Run As Administrator" command is great to run on Windows Explorer,
> command prompt, and control.exe (control panel).
>
> It is *NOT* recommended that you change the security settings to allow write
> access to the operating-system created files and folders, as this will
> greatly reduce the security of your system.
>
> - JB
>
> Vista Support FAQ
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders
Hello,

This sounds like an incompatability between quicken and vista.

You are allowed to write to any folder that you create and folders on your
desktop and in your profile; so there should not be any problem.

I would suggest downloading any available updates for Quicken.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq