Vista sort by file extension

FBfarm

Vista sort by file extension
Is it possible in Vista window explorer to sort files by extension?
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Vista sort by file extension
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:05:01 -0700, FBfarm
<FBfarm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is it possible in Vista window explorer to sort files by extension?

You can sort by File type, if that will do. Use the Details view, and
click on the column heading of any field you want to sort on. Click it
again, to reverse the sort from ascending to descending, or vice
versa.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
FBfarm

Re: Vista sort by file extension
There is no column for file type.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:05:01 -0700, FBfarm
> <FBfarm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible in Vista window explorer to sort files by extension?

> You can sort by File type, if that will do. Use the Details view, and
> click on the column heading of any field you want to sort on. Click it
> again, to reverse the sort from ascending to descending, or vice
> versa.
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

FBfarm

Re: Vista sort by file extension
I found how to add the column.Sure is a pain for an improved system.

"FBfarm" wrote:

> There is no column for file type.
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:05:01 -0700, FBfarm
> > <FBfarm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible in Vista window explorer to sort files by extension?

> > You can sort by File type, if that will do. Use the Details view, and
> > click on the column heading of any field you want to sort on. Click it
> > again, to reverse the sort from ascending to descending, or vice
> > versa.
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Dave

Re: Vista sort by file extension
You can add whatever column of data you want...
right-click on the Name column heading, click on "More..."
select "Type"

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"FBfarm" <FBfarm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There is no column for file type.
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:05:01 -0700, FBfarm
>> <FBfarm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is it possible in Vista window explorer to sort files by extension?

>> You can sort by File type, if that will do. Use the Details view, and
>> click on the column heading of any field you want to sort on. Click it
>> again, to reverse the sort from ascending to descending, or vice
>> versa.
>>

>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Bob

Re: Vista sort by file extension
Yeah, a few clicks of the mouse is a real pain....NOT.

>I found how to add the column.Sure is a pain for an improved system.
>
> "FBfarm" wrote:
>
>> There is no column for file type.
>>
>> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

>> > You can sort by File type, if that will do. Use the Details view, and
>> > click on the column heading of any field you want to sort on. Click it
>> > again, to reverse the sort from ascending to descending, or vice
>> > versa.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
>> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

jimeee is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista sort by file extension
My question is much the same as the author of this thread: Is there a way to sort files by file extension in Windows Explorer. I don't want a sort by file type but by file extension only. Which means that I first have to have an file extensions column

I have found someone that has written a program to add a file extensions column to Windows Explorer when Win XP is the Operating System but I want to do it in Win Vista. Is there someone who has done this so I can have an file extensions column while running Vista as the OS??? How to Use CPExt to Add a File Extension Column in Windows | eHow.com

Thanks for the help.

Jim
===

Last edited by jimeee : 02-01-2009 at 05:04. Reason: To clarify my question
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Vista sort by file extension
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 00:35:00 +0000, jimeee
<jimeee.3mwmgf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

> My question is the same as the author of this thread: Is there a way to
> sort files by file extension in Windows Explorer. I don't want a sort
> by file type but by extension only.
>
> I have found someone that has written a program to do it for Win XP but
> I want to do it in Win Vista. Is there someone who has done this so I
> can sort the files in as extensions???

Make sure that the extension column is showing, then click on the
column header. This a Windows standard and works in most applications.
Click a second time on the column header to reverse the sorting from
descending to ascending, or vice-versa.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

jimeee is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista sort by file extension
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimeee View Post
My question is the same as the author of this thread: Is there a way to sort files by file extension in Windows Explorer. I don't want a sort by file type but by extension only.

I have found someone that has written a program to add an extensions column to Windows Explorer when Win XP is the Operating System but I want to do it in Win Vista. Is there someone who has done this so I can have an extensions column while running Vista as the OS???

Thanks for the help.

Jim
===
I guess what I should really say is I would like to be able to add a "file extensions" column to Windows Explorer and of course that column would be sortable...

Jim
===

Last edited by jimeee : 02-01-2009 at 05:31. Reason: To clarify my question

jimeee is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista sort by file extension
I am going to start my own thread for this subject.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
===