Cannot delete file

minnow52

Cannot delete file
When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't be
completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find out what
program is running that file?
Malke

Re: Cannot delete file
minnow52 wrote:

> When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't be
> completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find out
> what program is running that file?

It depends on what kind of file it is. Since you didn't tell us, how can
anyone guess?

As a general troubleshooting step, you can try deleting the Mystery File in
Safe Mode.

To get into Safe Mode, restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key as
the computer is starting up. This will bring you to the correct menu. Use
your arrow key and the Enter key to select Safe Mode.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Bob

Re: Cannot delete file
To delete the file close all open programs.
Open an admin command prompt.
Type attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
(e.g. "C:\Users\minnow52\Documents\minnow52.doc")
Press Enter.
-------
*Report back, please*

"minnow52" <minnow52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't be
> completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find out
> what
> program is running that file?

minnow52

Re: Cannot delete file
Sorry about that. New to this. (As you can tell.)
It is an AVI movie video that is in my My Documents/Movies Folder

"Malke" wrote:

> minnow52 wrote:
>
> > When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't be
> > completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find out
> > what program is running that file?

> It depends on what kind of file it is. Since you didn't tell us, how can
> anyone guess?
>
> As a general troubleshooting step, you can try deleting the Mystery File in
> Safe Mode.
>
> To get into Safe Mode, restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key as
> the computer is starting up. This will bring you to the correct menu. Use
> your arrow key and the Enter key to select Safe Mode.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Malke

Re: Cannot delete file
minnow52 wrote:

> Sorry about that. New to this. (As you can tell.)
> It is an AVI movie video that is in my My Documents/Movies Folder

First of all, I assume you really mean the file lives in
%systemdrive%\Users\your-user-account\Movies because there is no "My
Documents" in Vista. The whole Documents and Settings [My-foldername]
hierarchy doesn't exist in Vista. The Documents and Settings and subfolders
you see are virtual, junctions there only for backwards compatibility with
older software that expects those locations to exist.

You can try Bob's method or go into Safe Mode.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
minnow52

Re: Cannot delete file
I will try it but how do I open an admin command prompt?

"Bob" wrote:

> To delete the file close all open programs.
> Open an admin command prompt.
> Type attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
> (e.g. "C:\Users\minnow52\Documents\minnow52.doc")
> Press Enter.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
>
> "minnow52" <minnow52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't be
> > completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find out
> > what
> > program is running that file?

Bob

Re: Cannot delete file
Start>Programs>Accessories>Right click Command Prompt>Run as Administrator.

>I will try it but how do I open an admin command prompt?
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> To delete the file close all open programs.
>> Open an admin command prompt.
>> Type attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
>> (e.g. "C:\Users\minnow52\Documents\minnow52.doc")
>> Press Enter.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>>
>> "minnow52" <minnow52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't
>> > be
>> > completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find
>> > out
>> > what
>> > program is running that file?

minnow52

Re: Cannot delete file
Thanks a lot for all your help. Was able to delete the 2 movie files
following your instructions just like you said. Once again thanks for your
help and I'm making sure that I put this forum into my FAVORITES.

"Bob" wrote:

> Start>Programs>Accessories>Right click Command Prompt>Run as Administrator.
>
> "minnow52" <minnow52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I will try it but how do I open an admin command prompt?
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> To delete the file close all open programs.
> >> Open an admin command prompt.
> >> Type attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
> >> (e.g. "C:\Users\minnow52\Documents\minnow52.doc")
> >> Press Enter.
> >> -------
> >> *Report back, please*

Bob

Re: Cannot delete file
You're welcome. Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.

> Thanks a lot for all your help. Was able to delete the 2 movie files
> following your instructions just like you said. Once again thanks for your
> help and I'm making sure that I put this forum into my FAVORITES.
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Start>Programs>Accessories>Right click Command Prompt>Run as
>> Administrator.
>>
>> "minnow52" <minnow52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I will try it but how do I open an admin command prompt?

Oli

Re: Cannot delete file
This was useful, thanks.