Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c etc

Ken Smith

Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c etc
I would like to group all my folders AND files under individual alphabetical
letters when 'grouping by name'. It would seem that I can't do this with
Vista.

Unless you know different. Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Ian

Bob

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c etc
In Details View right click any header and select More. Add the Type column.
Click the Type header. Click the Name header. This will result in Folders
sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z.

"Ken Smith" <no@way.com> wrote in message
>I would like to group all my folders AND files under individual
>alphabetical letters when 'grouping by name'. It would seem that I can't do
>this with Vista.
>
> Unless you know different. Any advice would be very welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian

Ken Smith

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c etc
Thanks for you quick reply Bob. Unfortunately it doesn't work. They are
still grouped in groups of letters and not individual letters.

1. In Details View right click any header and select More. - done
2. Add the Type column. - done
3. Click the Type header. - done
4. Click the Name header. - done
5. This will result in Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z. - done, but
they are still listed as 0-9, A-H, etc. I don't want them grouped like 0-9,
A-H. I want all files and folders grouped under A, then B, then C, etc

Any more thoughts?

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> In Details View right click any header and select More. Add the Type
> column. Click the Type header. Click the Name header. This will result in
> Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z.
>
> "Ken Smith" <no@way.com> wrote in message
>>I would like to group all my folders AND files under individual
>>alphabetical letters when 'grouping by name'. It would seem that I can't
>>do this with Vista.
>>
>> Unless you know different. Any advice would be very welcome.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ian

Bob

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c etc
As a workaround move the files with numerical names to a subfolder.

> Thanks for you quick reply Bob. Unfortunately it doesn't work. They are
> still grouped in groups of letters and not individual letters.
>
> 1. In Details View right click any header and select More. - done
> 2. Add the Type column. - done
> 3. Click the Type header. - done
> 4. Click the Name header. - done
> 5. This will result in Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z. - done,
> but they are still listed as 0-9, A-H, etc. I don't want them grouped like
> 0-9, A-H. I want all files and folders grouped under A, then B, then C,
> etc
>
> Any more thoughts?
>

> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> In Details View right click any header and select More. Add the Type
>> column. Click the Type header. Click the Name header. This will result in
>> Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z.
>>
>> "Ken Smith" <no@way.com> wrote in message
>>>I would like to group all my folders AND files under individual
>>>alphabetical letters when 'grouping by name'. It would seem that I can't
>>>do this with Vista.
>>>
>>> Unless you know different. Any advice would be very welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ian

PaulB

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c e
I might be missing something but how can a file or folder that begins with a
number be catagorized under a letter? What is it you want the sort to be?
--
Paul

"Ken Smith" wrote:

> Thanks for you quick reply Bob. Unfortunately it doesn't work. They are
> still grouped in groups of letters and not individual letters.
>
> 1. In Details View right click any header and select More. - done
> 2. Add the Type column. - done
> 3. Click the Type header. - done
> 4. Click the Name header. - done
> 5. This will result in Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z. - done, but
> they are still listed as 0-9, A-H, etc. I don't want them grouped like 0-9,
> A-H. I want all files and folders grouped under A, then B, then C, etc
>
> Any more thoughts?
>

> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > In Details View right click any header and select More. Add the Type
> > column. Click the Type header. Click the Name header. This will result in
> > Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z.
> >
> > "Ken Smith" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> >>I would like to group all my folders AND files under individual
> >>alphabetical letters when 'grouping by name'. It would seem that I can't
> >>do this with Vista.
> >>
> >> Unless you know different. Any advice would be very welcome.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Ian

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c e
I don't think he's worried about numeric names. He wants 26 alpha groups,
A,B,C,...Y,Z instead of the default 3. As far as I know, there's no way to
accomplish this.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I might be missing something but how can a file or folder that begins with
> number be catagorized under a letter? What is it you want the sort to be?
> --
> Paul
>

> "Ken Smith" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for you quick reply Bob. Unfortunately it doesn't work. They are
>> still grouped in groups of letters and not individual letters.
>>
>> 1. In Details View right click any header and select More. - done
>> 2. Add the Type column. - done
>> 3. Click the Type header. - done
>> 4. Click the Name header. - done
>> 5. This will result in Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z. - done,
>> but
>> they are still listed as 0-9, A-H, etc. I don't want them grouped like
>> 0-9,
>> A-H. I want all files and folders grouped under A, then B, then C, etc
>>
>> Any more thoughts?
>>

>> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> > In Details View right click any header and select More. Add the Type
>> > column. Click the Type header. Click the Name header. This will result
>> > in
>> > Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z.

Bob

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c e
Subfolders?
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

" Keith Miller (MVP)" <k.miller@NOSPAM.mchsi.com> wrote in message
>I don't think he's worried about numeric names. He wants 26 alpha groups,
>A,B,C,...Y,Z instead of the default 3. As far as I know, there's no way to
>accomplish this.
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I might be missing something but how can a file or folder that begins with
>> number be catagorized under a letter? What is it you want the sort to be?
>> --
>> Paul
>>

>> "Ken Smith" wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for you quick reply Bob. Unfortunately it doesn't work. They are
>>> still grouped in groups of letters and not individual letters.
>>>
>>> 1. In Details View right click any header and select More. - done
>>> 2. Add the Type column. - done
>>> 3. Click the Type header. - done
>>> 4. Click the Name header. - done
>>> 5. This will result in Folders sorted a-z and Files sorted a-z. - done,
>>> but
>>> they are still listed as 0-9, A-H, etc. I don't want them grouped like
>>> 0-9,
>>> A-H. I want all files and folders grouped under A, then B, then C, etc
>>>
>>> Any more thoughts?

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c e
You'd have to ask the OP. Grouping is handy. When I go looking in
System32, I group by type & collapse the groups I'm not interested in.
Makes the view more manageable.

--

news:g4qdnZZttqr_d3XanZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Subfolders?
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
> so that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> " Keith Miller (MVP)" <k.miller@NOSPAM.mchsi.com> wrote in message
>>I don't think he's worried about numeric names. He wants 26 alpha groups,
>>A,B,C,...Y,Z instead of the default 3. As far as I know, there's no way
>>to accomplish this.
>>
>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

>> "PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I might be missing something but how can a file or folder that begins
>>>with a
>>> number be catagorized under a letter? What is it you want the sort to
>>> be?
>>> --
>>> Paul

Bob

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c e
I suggested subfolders to the OP but he didn't respond.

> You'd have to ask the OP. Grouping is handy. When I go looking in
> System32, I group by type & collapse the groups I'm not interested in.
> Makes the view more manageable.
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:g4qdnZZttqr_d3XanZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Subfolders?

Ken Smith

Re: Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c e
I have a folder with mp3 files and folders in it. I want to keep the folders
under artist title but I have some mp3 files that are named by song title I
haven't yet assigned folders to yet.

All I want to do is have it like Windows XP can do it. Grouped in to 26
folders (A-Z) with what ever numbered or 'lettered' file or folder in those
groups. Keith has very kindly told me that Vista cannot do this. I have to
have 3 broad groups if I want them grouped by name.

Problem solved. Thanks all.

news:ctudnfh1rZwkmnTanZ2dnUVZ_ramnZ2d@comcast.com. ..