Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista

Mike

Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista
I cannot connect to the PC where I had my Documents folder - so I need to
reset the documents folder back to its original location on my PC - but
becuase I can no longer access the current location for the Documents folder
I can't access that folder in order to change its location - can anyone help?
i.e. how can I restore the default location for the Documents folder when I
can no longer access that folder?
Thanks
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista
In the Start Search box, type 'regedit<enter>' to open the Registry Editor

Navigate to:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders]

In the right-hand pane, edit the value named 'Personal', changing its data
to:

'%USERPROFILE%\Documents'

Open the 'Run...' dialog via the Start Menu or <WinKey>+R and paste the
following command:

rundll32 mydocs,PerUserInit

That should recreate the folder, special icon & all.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

>I cannot connect to the PC where I had my Documents folder - so I need to
> reset the documents folder back to its original location on my PC - but
> becuase I can no longer access the current location for the Documents
> folder
> I can't access that folder in order to change its location - can anyone
> help?
> i.e. how can I restore the default location for the Documents folder when
> can no longer access that folder?
> Thanks

Bob

Re: Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista
Error message?
How are you trying to access the Documents folder?
How and when did you move the Documents folder?

>I cannot connect to the PC where I had my Documents folder - so I need to
> reset the documents folder back to its original location on my PC - but
> becuase I can no longer access the current location for the Documents
> folder
> I can't access that folder in order to change its location - can anyone
> help?
> i.e. how can I restore the default location for the Documents folder when
> can no longer access that folder?
> Thanks

Mike

Re: Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista
Error message is: Error 1606.Could not access network location \\DELLXPS\My
Documents3\My Pictures\
I am trying to re-install a program (MS Fligth Simulator) which installed
some files into the Documents folder (I believe). I can't the uninstall the
program because the installer can't find the Documents folder where the items
were installed?
I moved the Documents folder after I set up file sharing - I maintain a
central Documents folder on another machine and access it from this machine.
So when file /folder sharing stopped working I can no longer access those
documents in that shared folder on the other computer. And so I can't set
the default folder for Documents back to the orginal location on this machine
(apparently because that location I set it to is no longer accessible from
this computer.
Regards

"Bob" wrote:

> Error message?
> How are you trying to access the Documents folder?
> How and when did you move the Documents folder?
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cannot connect to the PC where I had my Documents folder - so I need to
> > reset the documents folder back to its original location on my PC - but
> > becuase I can no longer access the current location for the Documents
> > folder
> > I can't access that folder in order to change its location - can anyone
> > help?
> > i.e. how can I restore the default location for the Documents folder when
> > can no longer access that folder?
> > Thanks

Mike

Re: Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista
I tried this Keith but it did not seem to fix the problem - I still get an
error mesage saying it can't access the folder (Documents). When I ran the
rundll32 program it not seem to do anything.
Regards

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

> In the Start Search box, type 'regedit<enter>' to open the Registry Editor
>
> Navigate to:
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders]
>
> In the right-hand pane, edit the value named 'Personal', changing its data
> to:
>
> '%USERPROFILE%\Documents'
>
> Open the 'Run...' dialog via the Start Menu or <WinKey>+R and paste the
> following command:
>
> rundll32 mydocs,PerUserInit
>
> That should recreate the folder, special icon & all.
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cannot connect to the PC where I had my Documents folder - so I need to
> > reset the documents folder back to its original location on my PC - but
> > becuase I can no longer access the current location for the Documents
> > folder
> > I can't access that folder in order to change its location - can anyone
> > help?
> > i.e. how can I restore the default location for the Documents folder when
> > can no longer access that folder?
> > Thanks

Bob

Re: Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista
See if you can find some help here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Error+1606

> Error message is: Error 1606.Could not access network location
> \\DELLXPS\My
> Documents3\My Pictures\
> I am trying to re-install a program (MS Fligth Simulator) which installed
> some files into the Documents folder (I believe). I can't the uninstall
> the
> program because the installer can't find the Documents folder where the
> items
> were installed?
> I moved the Documents folder after I set up file sharing - I maintain a
> central Documents folder on another machine and access it from this
> machine.
> So when file /folder sharing stopped working I can no longer access those
> documents in that shared folder on the other computer. And so I can't set
> the default folder for Documents back to the orginal location on this
> machine
> (apparently because that location I set it to is no longer accessible from
> this computer.
> Regards
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Error message?
>> How are you trying to access the Documents folder?
>> How and when did you move the Documents folder?
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I cannot connect to the PC where I had my Documents folder - so I need
>> > reset the documents folder back to its original location on my PC - but
>> > becuase I can no longer access the current location for the Documents
>> > folder
>> > I can't access that folder in order to change its location - can anyone
>> > help?
>> > i.e. how can I restore the default location for the Documents folder
>> > when
>> > can no longer access that folder?
>> > Thanks

putneyboy

Re: Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista

Thanks to Keith Miller, I found my paths were actually pointing to an
old location where I had my USB Drive
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders
I updated the path to be "I:\My Documents" which fixed the problem with
no being able to click the Documents link on the Start Menu and a host
of other issues such as Adobe not updating as its default folder was on
the "I:\My Documents"

--
putneyboy