Windows Explorer, Renaming Folders in the Folder Pane

Benjamin Mussler

Windows Explorer, Renaming Folders in the Folder Pane
Is there any way to rename a folder in the left folder pane without
having to right-click it?

Previous versions of Windows came with a Windows Explorer where you
could just click the folder name twice (with a short pause between the
two clicks so they wouldn't be interpreted as a double-click) and
Explorer would make the folder name writable, allowing you to change
its name. I always thought this was much easier than right-clicking the
folder just to choose the "Rename" option from the context menu.

It does still work the old way in the Vista Explorer but only in the
file/folder pane.

TIA, Benjamin
Aleksey Tchekmarev

Re: Windows Explorer, Renaming Folders in the Folder Pane
F2. I think it's easier that right or twice click.

"Benjamin Mussler" <119@1.fl7.de> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее: news:100munmq9kxse.dlg@1.fl7.de...
> Is there any way to rename a folder in the left folder pane without
> having to right-click it?
>
> Previous versions of Windows came with a Windows Explorer where you
> could just click the folder name twice (with a short pause between the
> two clicks so they wouldn't be interpreted as a double-click) and
> Explorer would make the folder name writable, allowing you to change
> its name. I always thought this was much easier than right-clicking the
> folder just to choose the "Rename" option from the context menu.
>
> It does still work the old way in the Vista Explorer but only in the
> file/folder pane.
>
> TIA, Benjamin

OKuma

Re: Windows Explorer, Renaming Folders in the Folder Pane
The right pane works as expected, but the left pane; not so much.

Try 'F2' for the left pane.

OKuma

"Benjamin Mussler" <119@1.fl7.de> wrote in message
> Is there any way to rename a folder in the left folder pane without
> having to right-click it?
>
> Previous versions of Windows came with a Windows Explorer where you
> could just click the folder name twice (with a short pause between the
> two clicks so they wouldn't be interpreted as a double-click) and
> Explorer would make the folder name writable, allowing you to change
> its name. I always thought this was much easier than right-clicking the
> folder just to choose the "Rename" option from the context menu.
>
> It does still work the old way in the Vista Explorer but only in the
> file/folder pane.
>
> TIA, Benjamin

Aleksey Tchekmarev

Re: Windows Explorer, Renaming Folders in the Folder Pane
?! F2 on the LEFT pane works OK for me... (for folder or disk renaming)
what's the matter?... (maybe, problems with UAC?)

"OKuma" <okuma@okumaware.com> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее: news:3A651132-B514-4F50-B5AD-5700CC659F25@microsoft.com...
> The right pane works as expected, but the left pane; not so much.
>
> Try 'F2' for the left pane.
>
> OKuma
>
> "Benjamin Mussler" <119@1.fl7.de> wrote in message news:100munmq9kxse.dlg@1.fl7.de...
>> Is there any way to rename a folder in the left folder pane without
>> having to right-click it?
>>
>> Previous versions of Windows came with a Windows Explorer where you
>> could just click the folder name twice (with a short pause between the
>> two clicks so they wouldn't be interpreted as a double-click) and
>> Explorer would make the folder name writable, allowing you to change
>> its name. I always thought this was much easier than right-clicking the
>> folder just to choose the "Rename" option from the context menu.
>>
>> It does still work the old way in the Vista Explorer but only in the
>> file/folder pane.
>>
>> TIA, Benjamin

Benjamin Mussler

Aleksey Tchekmarev <atc7hekm7arev@ho7tma7il.co7m> wrote:
> F2. I think it's easier that right or twice click.

Yes, indeed. Thanks for your replies, it's not exactly what I was hoping
for but I guess I just have to get used to it.
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Windows Explorer, Renaming Folders in the Folder Pane
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:14:07 +0100, Benjamin Mussler <119@1.fl7.de>

>Previous versions of Windows came with a Windows Explorer where you
>could just click the folder name twice (with a short pause between the
>two clicks so they wouldn't be interpreted as a double-click) and
>Explorer would make the folder name writable, allowing you to change
>its name. I always thought this was much easier than right-clicking the
>folder just to choose the "Rename" option from the context menu.

>It does still work the old way in the Vista Explorer but only in the
>file/folder pane.

Sounds like a UI safety fix. Vista is smarter about avoiding
unintended name change effects, e.g. when you do rename something, the
file name extension is no longer part of the initial selected text.

Another good fix to appy is to increase the "drag" pixel threshold,
especially in high-resolution environments. Otherwise "smudgy"
attempts to select something may inadvertently drag-n-drop it.

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!
>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Windows Explorer, Renaming Folders in the Folder Pane
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:01:17 +0300, "Aleksey Tchekmarev"

>F2. I think it's easier that right or twice click.

As long as you aren't using a fancy recent MS keyboard that duhfaults
to a pointless alternate "function" mode, where F2 becomes (silently)
"undo last action".

Picture the impact of banging away at F2 that appears to "do nothing"
when trying to edit a cell in Excel or a field in Access...

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!