Deleted User Account

Tink

Deleted User Account
Hi, a user account has been deleted by mstake in vista home.

Is there any way i can recover the data files associated with that user
account?

Im afraid no back up has been made!
.Joe

Re: Deleted User Account

Tink;656403 Wrote:
> Hi, a user account has been deleted by mstake in vista home.
>
> Is there any way i can recover the data files associated with that user
> account?
>
> Im afraid no back up has been made!

There was an option when you deleted the user account. "Keep user
files" if you selected this option, then the process will be easier. If
not, you'll likely need an undelete program and hopefully not to much
disk writing has occured since you deleted the account or the data may
not be retrievable.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
Malke

Re: Deleted User Account
Tink wrote:

> Hi, a user account has been deleted by mstake in vista home.
>
> Is there any way i can recover the data files associated with that user
> account?
>
> Im afraid no back up has been made!

Without a backup and with Vista Home, the only way to retrieve deleted data
is by using data recovery software. Stop using the computer immediately and
see the general data recovery information below:

*IMPORTANT* - DO NOTHING FURTHER ON THE DRIVE. The data is still on the
hard drive but if you overwrite it, it will be extremely difficult or
impossible to recover it. If you use data recovery software, install it on
another machine and either use it from that operating system or create a
bootable cd/floppy and work with that. If you don't have the skill and/or
equipment to do these procedures, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop that has experience in doing data recovery. This will
not be your local version of BigStoreUSA. In-shop data recovery is usually
not exactly cheap (for ex., my charges are generally $150-350USD), but it
normally costs less than sending the drive to a professional data recovery
company. You need to make the determination of the value of your data and
decide what to do.

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
PCInspector File Recovery -
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
Executive Software ?Undelete? -
http://www.undelete.com/undelete/undelete.asp
R-Studio - http://www.r-tt.com/
File Scavenger - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm
Ontrack's EasyRecovery - http://www.ontrack.com/software/

If the data is crucial and money is not a deciding factor, you may want to
skip any DIY or local computer tech steps and simply send the drive to a
professional data recovery company like Drive Savers (my preference) or
Seagate Data Recovery. General prices run from $500USD on up. Drive Savers
recovered all the data on a failed laptop drive for one of my clients and
it cost $2,700. He thought it was worth the money; only you know what your
data is worth. I understand that some insurance companies are now covering
data recovery charges so check with yours.

Drive Savers - http://www.drivesavers.com
Seagate Data Recovery Services - https://www.seagatedatarecovery.com/

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
GTS

Re: Deleted User Account
Vista Home makes shadow copies although it doesn't include a way to access
them. I suggest trying the free Shadow Explorer before going to general
undelete utilities (assuming the profile was in fact deleted in full).
http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

"GTS" <x> wrote:

> Vista Home makes shadow copies although it doesn't include a way to access
> them. I suggest trying the free Shadow Explorer before going to general
> undelete utilities (assuming the profile was in fact deleted in full).
> http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

Thanks for that tip, GTS. It looks like a very interesting utility and I've
downloaded it for my data recovery toolbox.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Phil

Re: Deleted User Account

"Malke" wrote:

> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
> PCInspector File Recovery -
> http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
> Executive Software ?Undelete? -
> http://www.undelete.com/undelete/undelete.asp
> R-Studio - http://www.r-tt.com/
> File Scavenger - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm
> Ontrack's EasyRecovery - http://www.ontrack.com/software/

One I use is http://undelete-plus.com/download.html

It's free and seems to work well
GTS

Re: Deleted User Account

> "GTS" <x> wrote:
>
>> Vista Home makes shadow copies although it doesn't include a way to
>> access
>> them. I suggest trying the free Shadow Explorer before going to general
>> undelete utilities (assuming the profile was in fact deleted in full).
>> http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

> Thanks for that tip, GTS. It looks like a very interesting utility and
> I've
> downloaded it for my data recovery toolbox.
>
> Malke
> --

You're welcome. I alway appreciate your useful info.