Unable to open files of different type at the same time

jj14

Unable to open files of different type at the same time

Hi - I've been using Vista x64 Ultimate for several months and
yesterday, upgraded to SP1 (windows update offered it). Now, I've
noticed a problem where I cannot open multiple files (using explorer) at
the same time if they are of different type.

Example 1 : I select a .txt file and a .doc file at the same time
(using mouse and ctrl key) - and I hit the enter key. Nothing happens.
(if I select each file individually and then try to open them, the files
open without any problem)

Example 2: I select two .txt files (or two .ppt files or two .pdf
files... same extn) and hit enter - both files open as expected.

I've searched the web and haven't found this symptom anywhere else
(some have issues with selecting multiple files, but not for opening
files of different types).

Any suggestions on how this could be fixed?
Thanks!

--
jj14
toby mills

RE: Unable to open files of different type at the same time
I've noticed the same problem. Really annoying especially as it also happens
for different type of word documents, e.g. doc or docx.

It seems to be a 'feature' of Vista!

"jj14" wrote:

> Hi - I've been using Vista x64 Ultimate for several months and
> yesterday, upgraded to SP1 (windows update offered it). Now, I've
> noticed a problem where I cannot open multiple files (using explorer) at
> the same time if they are of different type.
>
> Example 1 : I select a .txt file and a .doc file at the same time
> (using mouse and ctrl key) - and I hit the enter key. Nothing happens.
> (if I select each file individually and then try to open them, the files
> open without any problem)
>
> Example 2: I select two .txt files (or two .ppt files or two .pdf
> files... same extn) and hit enter - both files open as expected.
>
> I've searched the web and haven't found this symptom anywhere else
> (some have issues with selecting multiple files, but not for opening
> files of different types).
>
> Any suggestions on how this could be fixed?
> Thanks!
>

> --
> jj14

ssemadeni

Re: Unable to open files of different type at the same time

I, too, have this issue, and it is driving me insane! I get the
craziest look from everyone I mention it to, because it's not something
they've tried to do so they can't imagine why there's a problem...

Anyone figured out a fix yet??

--
ssemadeni
jj14

Re: Unable to open files of different type at the same time

I contacted MS support and here's the final response from them.
In:: ::addition, after doing further research and test,:: ::we found::
::that:: ::by:: ::default Vista can not:: :pen:: ::different types of
files at same time.:: ::Thank you for the:: ::understanding.:: ::
I will forward this issue to the appropriate department through our
internal channel. Please be assured that any improvements in the product
are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture
Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful
and easy-to-use product.
If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

*Ugh*

--
jj14
ssemadeni

Re: Unable to open files of different type at the same time

Argh...what the heck is the point of having a 64-bit system if it won't
let you test its horsepower in the first place?

--
ssemadeni