Copy To Application Data Folders

Bilbo

Copy To Application Data Folders
I have a user whose PC crashed. The hard drive was corrupted but I
was able to salvage most of the data including the Windows XP Profile.

On Vista, when I try to copy default.nk2 to the Microsoft\Outlook
folder in Application Data, I'm denied access even though I have an
administrator account. This makes it kind'a tough to support my users
who've moved to Vista for various and sundry reasons.

I can import the .PST files but I can't restore the .NK2 files. This
doesn't make a heckuva lotta sense to me.

How can I solve this problem? Buy another XP before June 30?

Frustrated,

--
BilBo
DL

Re: Copy To Application Data Folders
You would'nt be doing your users any favours by Importing/Exporting native
OL data, the process loses both settings & data

"Bilbo fake email hal-pc.org>" <wlp<fauxatdot> wrote in message
>I have a user whose PC crashed. The hard drive was corrupted but I
> was able to salvage most of the data including the Windows XP Profile.
>
> On Vista, when I try to copy default.nk2 to the Microsoft\Outlook
> folder in Application Data, I'm denied access even though I have an
> administrator account. This makes it kind'a tough to support my users
> who've moved to Vista for various and sundry reasons.
>
> I can import the .PST files but I can't restore the .NK2 files. This
> doesn't make a heckuva lotta sense to me.
>
> How can I solve this problem? Buy another XP before June 30?
>
> Frustrated,
>

> --
> BilBo

Bilbo

Re: Copy To Application Data Folders
If you don't have an answer, suggest it's a bad idea? Is that it?

I think you're dead wrong. The user would LOVE to have all their
AUTOCOMPLETE data back in Outlook.

These precious "settings" you allude to can be re-created but only
someone with a photographic memory could re-type all the autocomplete
data.

--
BilBo
Dave

Re: Copy To Application Data Folders
In Vista, "Application Data" is a junction point, not a folder.
It has been replaced with "AppData", located under the users folder.
ie. C:\Users\(login)\AppData

I'm not familiar with the NK2 file, but I have Outlook installed (but I only
use the calendar). I do have a .NK2 file (0 KB) in
C:\Users\(login)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Bilbofakeemailhal-pc.org>" <wlp<fauxatdot> wrote in message
> I have a user whose PC crashed. The hard drive was corrupted but I
> was able to salvage most of the data including the Windows XP Profile.
>
> On Vista, when I try to copy default.nk2 to the Microsoft\Outlook
> folder in Application Data, I'm denied access even though I have an
> administrator account. This makes it kind'a tough to support my users
> who've moved to Vista for various and sundry reasons.
>
> I can import the .PST files but I can't restore the .NK2 files. This
> doesn't make a heckuva lotta sense to me.
>
> How can I solve this problem? Buy another XP before June 30?
>
> Frustrated,
>

> --
> BilBo

DL

Re: Copy To Application Data Folders
The inability to copy the nk2 file is likely a Vista file protection
problem, you have renamed the current nk2?

I was refering to the Import/Export of native OL data which you stated you
were going to do, and as such is the wrong method of moving OL data. A quick
search of any of the OL groups would have confirmed this.
The sttings I refer to are those in the pst file, Exporting/Importing loses
these, together with rules They are *not* the autocomplete data.

> If you don't have an answer, suggest it's a bad idea? Is that it?
>
> I think you're dead wrong. The user would LOVE to have all their
> AUTOCOMPLETE data back in Outlook.
>
> These precious "settings" you allude to can be re-created but only
> someone with a photographic memory could re-type all the autocomplete
> data.
>

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:12:16 -0000, "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:
>
>>You would'nt be doing your users any favours by Importing/Exporting native
>>OL data, the process loses both settings & data
>>
>>"Bilbo fake email hal-pc.org>" <wlp<fauxatdot> wrote in message
>>news:apd6u3dfod44ve06rsanj96vih8ho7jbss@4ax.com. ..
>>>I have a user whose PC crashed. The hard drive was corrupted but I
>>> was able to salvage most of the data including the Windows XP Profile.
>>>
>>> On Vista, when I try to copy default.nk2 to the Microsoft\Outlook
>>> folder in Application Data, I'm denied access even though I have an
>>> administrator account. This makes it kind'a tough to support my users
>>> who've moved to Vista for various and sundry reasons.
>>>
>>> I can import the .PST files but I can't restore the .NK2 files. This
>>> doesn't make a heckuva lotta sense to me.
>>>
>>> How can I solve this problem? Buy another XP before June 30?
>>>
>>> Frustrated,
>>>

>>> --
>>> BilBo

> --
> BilBo

Bilbo

Re: Copy To Application Data Folders
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
The AutoComplete data is stored in the .NK2 file. I know of no other
settings there. I've had to move it from PC to PC in the past and it
always worked as desired. Vista threw a monkey-wrench into the mix.
Bilbo