File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'

Guy

File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
Hi

I have an issue that I have just notied several files that I deleted over a
month ago are still visible when doing searches on my computer. When trying
to delete that I'm told that it is "no longer located in" the folder it was.

When looking in the original folder the files were in they are not visible.
They can only be seen when doing a search. Does anyone know how to
completely get rid of them?

I believe this should happen automatically, but it does not appear to have
worked as it was a long time ago that I originally deleted them.

Thanks

Ian

Re: File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
Hi Guy,

That's because Vista keeps shortcuts of previously opened files (even
deleted ones) in the Recent folder. It's safe to delete these files.

The Recent folder is:
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wi ndows\Recent

I believe the deleted files you see in Search are shortcuts found in the
Recent folder.

Once deleted, you shouldn't see these files when using search.

Regards,
Ian
"Guy" <guyhannan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have an issue that I have just notied several files that I deleted over
> a month ago are still visible when doing searches on my computer. When
> trying to delete that I'm told that it is "no longer located in" the
> folder it was.
>
> When looking in the original folder the files were in they are not
> visible. They can only be seen when doing a search. Does anyone know how
> to completely get rid of them?
>
> I believe this should happen automatically, but it does not appear to have
> worked as it was a long time ago that I originally deleted them.
>
> Thanks

stan

Re: File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
I tried this, but couldn't locate a "recent folder." I did find many of the
files I've been trying to delete by searching "recent." I was able to dump
some of them, not all of them. Many still have the same "item not found"
message, "this is no longer located in
C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Recent. Any other
fixes?

"Ian" wrote:

> Hi Guy,
>
> That's because Vista keeps shortcuts of previously opened files (even
> deleted ones) in the Recent folder. It's safe to delete these files.
>
> The Recent folder is:
> C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wi ndows\Recent
>
> I believe the deleted files you see in Search are shortcuts found in the
> Recent folder.
>
> Once deleted, you shouldn't see these files when using search.
>
> Regards,
> Ian
> "Guy" <guyhannan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have an issue that I have just notied several files that I deleted over
> > a month ago are still visible when doing searches on my computer. When
> > trying to delete that I'm told that it is "no longer located in" the
> > folder it was.
> >
> > When looking in the original folder the files were in they are not
> > visible. They can only be seen when doing a search. Does anyone know how
> > to completely get rid of them?
> >
> > I believe this should happen automatically, but it does not appear to have
> > worked as it was a long time ago that I originally deleted them.
> >
> > Thanks

Bob

Re: File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
Run Disk Cleanup.

"stan" <stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried this, but couldn't locate a "recent folder." I did find many of
>the
> files I've been trying to delete by searching "recent." I was able to
> dump
> some of them, not all of them. Many still have the same "item not found"
> message, "this is no longer located in
> C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Recent. Any other
> fixes?
>
> "Ian" wrote:
>
>> Hi Guy,
>>
>> That's because Vista keeps shortcuts of previously opened files (even
>> deleted ones) in the Recent folder. It's safe to delete these files.
>>
>> The Recent folder is:
>> C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wi ndows\Recent
>>
>> I believe the deleted files you see in Search are shortcuts found in the
>> Recent folder.
>>
>> Once deleted, you shouldn't see these files when using search.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ian
>> "Guy" <guyhannan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have an issue that I have just notied several files that I deleted
>> > over
>> > a month ago are still visible when doing searches on my computer. When
>> > trying to delete that I'm told that it is "no longer located in" the
>> > folder it was.
>> >
>> > When looking in the original folder the files were in they are not
>> > visible. They can only be seen when doing a search. Does anyone know
>> > how
>> > to completely get rid of them?
>> >
>> > I believe this should happen automatically, but it does not appear to
>> > have
>> > worked as it was a long time ago that I originally deleted them.
>> >
>> > Thanks

stan

Re: File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
I did, but they're still there. What about rebuilding the index? Would that
clean them up?

"Bob" wrote:

> Run Disk Cleanup.
>
> "stan" <stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried this, but couldn't locate a "recent folder." I did find many of
> >the
> > files I've been trying to delete by searching "recent." I was able to
> > dump
> > some of them, not all of them. Many still have the same "item not found"
> > message, "this is no longer located in
> > C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Recent. Any other
> > fixes?
> >
> > "Ian" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Guy,
> >>
> >> That's because Vista keeps shortcuts of previously opened files (even
> >> deleted ones) in the Recent folder. It's safe to delete these files.
> >>
> >> The Recent folder is:
> >> C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wi ndows\Recent
> >>
> >> I believe the deleted files you see in Search are shortcuts found in the
> >> Recent folder.
> >>
> >> Once deleted, you shouldn't see these files when using search.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Ian

Bob

Re: File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
Do you see the "files" in C:\Windows\Prefetch?

>I did, but they're still there. What about rebuilding the index? Would
>that
> clean them up?
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Run Disk Cleanup.
>>
>> "stan" <stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried this, but couldn't locate a "recent folder." I did find many of
>> >the
>> > files I've been trying to delete by searching "recent." I was able to
>> > dump
>> > some of them, not all of them. Many still have the same "item not
>> > found"
>> > message, "this is no longer located in
>> > C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Recent. Any
>> > other
>> > fixes?

stan

Re: File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
No. I give up! I've tried everything. It must be a Vista glitch?

"Bob" wrote:

> Do you see the "files" in C:\Windows\Prefetch?
>
> "stan" <stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did, but they're still there. What about rebuilding the index? Would
> >that
> > clean them up?
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> Run Disk Cleanup.

Brink

stan;660171 Wrote:
> No. I give up! I've tried everything. It must be a Vista glitch?
>
> "Bob" wrote:
> > > >
> > > Do you see the "files" in C:\Windows\Prefetch?
> > >
> > > "stan" <stan@xxxxxx> wrote in message

Stan, did you try rebuilding the index?

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
stan

Re: File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
No, I haven't tried rebuilding the index yet. Still searching for answers in
forums and message boards.

"Brink" wrote:

> stan;660171 Wrote:
> > No. I give up! I've tried everything. It must be a Vista glitch?

> Stan, did you try rebuilding the index?
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

Bob

Re: File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'
Give it a shot. There's nothing to lose and it might solve your problem.