Unable to delete a file!!!! HELP!!!!!

thgp1704

Unable to delete a file!!!! HELP!!!!!
I am unable to delete any files on my computer. I can delete folders, but
not files by themselves. I try to right click on the file I am wanting to
delete and it just freezes up on me. Then it tells me that the program is
not responding. I can't click on the file and just hit the delete button
either!!! Someone please HELP this is driving me crazy!!! =(
R. C. White

Re: Unable to delete a file!!!! HELP!!!!!
Hi, thgp1704.

Can you tell us the name of at least one of the problem files? Please
include the full pathname. Can you tell WHICH "program is not responding"?

There are a couple of techniques that work in almost all cases.

First, using the GUI, can you move all the OTHER files out of that folder
and then delete the folder. Give your temporary folder a temporary name and
then rename it to the original afterwards.

The other way is more complex. Open a Command Prompt and use the good old
"DOS" commands. (I put DOS in quotes because Vista doesn't use true MS-DOS
at all, but the Command Prompt window often seems like "a better DOS than
DOS".) You might need to right-click Cmd.exe and choose Run as
Administrator to make it an Administrator:Command Prompt window; any command
or application started from this window will run elevated. If you are
unfamiliar with any "DOS" command, just type that command, followed by /? to
see a mini-Help file showing the switches and parameters available with that
command.

In the CP window, navigate to the folder where the problem file is. Then
use the Dir command to see all the files in the folder. Type Dir /? to see
a list of switches available with that command; you probably will need some
of them. For example, Dir /x will show you the Short File Name (SFN or 8.3
filename) for any filename that is too long or has an invalid SFN character,
such as a space. Use the Attrib command to see if the Hidden or System or
other attributes are set, and to remove those attributes if necessary.

Try simply deleting the file with the Del command:
del <filename>

If that doesn't work, tell us what error message or other response you
receive.

That's enough to get you started. Please post back, telling us - step by
step - what you did and what results you saw.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"thgp1704" <thgp1704@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am unable to delete any files on my computer. I can delete folders, but
> not files by themselves. I try to right click on the file I am wanting to
> delete and it just freezes up on me. Then it tells me that the program is
> not responding. I can't click on the file and just hit the delete button
> either!!! Someone please HELP this is driving me crazy!!! =(

thgp1704

Re: Unable to delete a file!!!! HELP!!!!!
After sitting there "thinking" for awhile I try to close out of "My Computer"
and then a message comes up that says that Windows Explorer is not
responding! I'm LOST!!! The file that I'm trying to delete is a file for
work. How can I find the pathname without right clicking? Thanks for
helping me!

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, thgp1704.
>
> Can you tell us the name of at least one of the problem files? Please
> include the full pathname. Can you tell WHICH "program is not responding"?
>
> There are a couple of techniques that work in almost all cases.
>
> First, using the GUI, can you move all the OTHER files out of that folder
> and then delete the folder. Give your temporary folder a temporary name and
> then rename it to the original afterwards.
>
> The other way is more complex. Open a Command Prompt and use the good old
> "DOS" commands. (I put DOS in quotes because Vista doesn't use true MS-DOS
> at all, but the Command Prompt window often seems like "a better DOS than
> DOS".) You might need to right-click Cmd.exe and choose Run as
> Administrator to make it an Administrator:Command Prompt window; any command
> or application started from this window will run elevated. If you are
> unfamiliar with any "DOS" command, just type that command, followed by /? to
> see a mini-Help file showing the switches and parameters available with that
> command.
>
> In the CP window, navigate to the folder where the problem file is. Then
> use the Dir command to see all the files in the folder. Type Dir /? to see
> a list of switches available with that command; you probably will need some
> of them. For example, Dir /x will show you the Short File Name (SFN or 8.3
> filename) for any filename that is too long or has an invalid SFN character,
> such as a space. Use the Attrib command to see if the Hidden or System or
> other attributes are set, and to remove those attributes if necessary.
>
> Try simply deleting the file with the Del command:
> del <filename>
>
> If that doesn't work, tell us what error message or other response you
> receive.
>
> That's enough to get you started. Please post back, telling us - step by
> step - what you did and what results you saw.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "thgp1704" <thgp1704@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am unable to delete any files on my computer. I can delete folders, but
> > not files by themselves. I try to right click on the file I am wanting to
> > delete and it just freezes up on me. Then it tells me that the program is
> > not responding. I can't click on the file and just hit the delete button
> > either!!! Someone please HELP this is driving me crazy!!! =(

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Unable to delete a file!!!! HELP!!!!!
The troubleshooting outlined here may help:

Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

> [...]
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>>
>> "thgp1704" <thgp1704@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am unable to delete any files on my computer. I can delete folders,
>> > but
>> > not files by themselves. I try to right click on the file I am wanting
>> > delete and it just freezes up on me. Then it tells me that the program
>> > is
>> > not responding. I can't click on the file and just hit the delete
>> > button
>> > either!!! Someone please HELP this is driving me crazy!!! =(

thgp1704

Re: Unable to delete a file!!!! HELP!!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! THAT SOLVED EVERYTHING!!! =)

You're welcome. What was the culprit?

--

news0E4AAA3-ABAE-45BE-84A6-9C34EEA93C6C@microsoft.com...
> THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! THAT SOLVED EVERYTHING!!! =)
>
> "Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> The troubleshooting outlined here may help:
>>
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

>> "thgp1704" <thgp1704@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After sitting there "thinking" for awhile I try to close out of "My
>> > Computer"
>> > and then a message comes up that says that Windows Explorer is not
>> > responding! I'm LOST!!! The file that I'm trying to delete is a file
>> > for
>> > work. How can I find the pathname without right clicking? Thanks for
>> > helping me!

thgp1704

Re: Unable to delete a file!!!! HELP!!!!!
It was from our printer/copier/fax machine that is on the network. We
recently had several problems with it not wanting to scan. So something with
that did it! Thank you again very much!!! =) Little things like that just
drive me crazy sometimes!!!

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

--

> It was from our printer/copier/fax machine that is on the network. We
> recently had several problems with it not wanting to scan. So something
> with
> that did it! Thank you again very much!!! =) Little things like that
> just
> drive me crazy sometimes!!!
>
> "Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You're welcome. What was the culprit?
>>
>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

>> "thgp1704" <thgp1704@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news0E4AAA3-ABAE-45BE-84A6-9C34EEA93C6C@microsoft.com...
>> > THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! THAT SOLVED EVERYTHING!!! =)

thgp1704

Re: Unable to delete a file!!!! HELP!!!!!
No problem! Thank you!!! =)