Is it advisable to compress winsxs folder?

Rolando

Is it advisable to compress winsxs folder?
Hello.
I'm running out of disk space and winsxs is already taking a lot of
space.
I already know that I should leave it alone.
I was just wondering if is it advisable to set this folder to compress
Thanks.-
Rolando

Re: Is it advisable to compress winsxs folder?
On 19 mar, 19:00, Rolando <rolando.palla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm running out of disk space and winsxs is already taking a lot of
> space.
> I already know that I should leave it alone.
> I was just wondering if is it advisable to set this folder to compress
> Thanks.-

no ideas?
GreenReaper

On Mar 19, 7:00*pm, Rolando <rolando.palla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm running out of disk space and winsxs is already taking a lot of
> space. I already know that I should leave it alone.
> I was just wondering if is it advisable to set this folder to compress

It *should* be fine, but in practice you may have to work around
unanticipated bugs.

Every regular on NTFS file can be considered to be a single "hardlink"
to a piece of data. You can have multiple hardlinks, which is like
having the same file in two places with just the cost of the extra
link and not the data. The "." and ".." directories? Just hardlinks to
the current directory and the parent directory.

winsxs is full of files that are installed as components, typically of
Windows and other Microsoft software. When these featured are
"installed" into a particular location, what actually happens is that
a new link (a hardlink) is created to the file data. This is one
reason why Vista can only be installed on NTFS - it makes prolific use
of hardlinks.

The files being hardlinks has obvious repercussions - you're not just
compressing the install media, but the sole copies of the actual files
that make up Windows. If you compress them, part of what you are
compressing consists of installed files - or files that you may
install later. And Windows (or other applications) doesn't always
anticipate getting a compressed file.

For example, Vista will choke if you try to install IIS's shared
libraries and its XML schema files in winsxs are compressed. They're
probably checking that it still has the read-only attribute and forgot
to allow for the presence of other attributes. Personally, I consider
this a bug, but either way, it's a risk that you need to be aware of.

--
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
RobGTX

Re: Is it advisable to compress winsxs folder?

Here is what I did with good success.

- Originally my winsxs directory was roughly 16 GB
- Searching around a bit, I found mention of the vsp1cln.exe utility
and ran it. This seemed to bring things down to about 11 GB
- Oddly after changing my folder options to NOT hide protected
operating system files and re-running vsp1cln.exe, it brought the
number down further to 6GB. Not certain why, but there might be
something with either running vsp1cln.exe more then once or running is
while OS system files are visible.
- Next I looked at the remaining elements that had a date accessed
older then 1/1/2008, selected all these folders and set the compress
option.
- Happily my winsxs directory is down to 4.67 GB and the system has
been stable for over a week

--
RobGTX
Singapore_Air

Re: Is it advisable to compress winsxs folder?

My WinSxS folder was 8811.9MB according to VisDir Free Disk Space
Finder.

After having run VSP1CLN.exe, my WinSxs folder is.......

Hmm, only 7402MB.

Am going to need to go into safe mode to change the folder from read
only.

--
Singapore_Air
Singapore_Air's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/singapore_air.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Dave Warren

Re: Is it advisable to compress winsxs folder?
In message <Singapore_Air.3mmamc@DoNotSpam.com> Singapore_Air
<Singapore_Air.3mmamc@DoNotSpam.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>My WinSxS folder was 8811.9MB according to VisDir Free Disk Space
>Finder.
>
>After having run VSP1CLN.exe, my WinSxs folder is.......
>
>Hmm, only 7402MB.
>
>Am going to need to go into safe mode to change the folder from read
>only.

No. Folders aren't read-only, that attribute cannot be applied to a
folder.

Note that the "Read only" option is gray (disabled) without a checkmark,
rather then checked or unchecked.

In short, if you don't understand what the WinSxS folder is, leave it
alone, you'll probably end up trashing your system.