Read-only Flags as Owner

jcuk

Read-only Flags as Owner

Hi,

I designed my own directory structure in windows xp and used it as a
template for software and file management on vista. (seems to have been
a big mistake)

Currently i have all my games installed just on a Games folder, created
by me in the Program-Files folder.

Steam needs to write its own config file for any edits i make, However
when trying to do this is just reverts back to prior settings. (As with
other games)

I tried removing the read-only flag from the attributes looked like it
had done, closed and re-opened window and sure enough its back again.

NB : im logged onto a user account, set in Administrators Group,
created by myself.

I then tried Security > Advanced > Owner > Edit to change from SYSTEM
to Jamie (my username)

After that, i also went to Security > Edit (To Change Permissions) >
Add - Added Jamie as a user and set to full control.

However still i cannot change from Read-only for all subfolders also.

So to save me the hassle, as i never seem to get malicious software
anyway... how do i disable this whole, lets be safe and wear a condom
crap that microsoft have put into this somewhat good but REALLY
annoyingwhenitdoesntwork operating system.)

Im Running Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

Thanks.
Jamie

--
jcuk
dmex

Re: Read-only Flags as Owner

Place the games outside the ProgramFiles directory (c:\Games) as UAC
protects anything located inside the ProgramFiles, UAC will redirect all
files and registry keys used by any game or program not launched with
admin rights.

Steam is one exception its completely vista capable as it installs its
own service to manage UAC or required system-privileges, My other games
CoD4, BF2, BF2142, World in Conflict, Unreal 3, GTASA........ are not
vista aware but run perfectly fine because they are not under UAC`s
control in the program files directory, If your still having problems
use the compatibility tab under properties to set them to run as
administrator it should let them read/write to the locations they
normally use without Vista`s security getting in the way.

--
dmex
jcuk

Re: Read-only Flags as Owner

UAC is disabled - the location is alread C:\Games\Steam..

Ive tried also running as administrator. (running explorer.exe as
administrator)

--
jcuk
Bob F.

Re: Read-only Flags as Owner

Our goal is to solve technical and operational problems by using this
newsgroup as a collective forum.
Please include enough of the previous message(s) so that others trying to
follow this thread know what you are talking about. Also please try to
"edit out" the non relevant portions. It helps everyone. If you are using
Windows Mail, Go to:
Tools > Options > Send > check - "Include message in reply"

--
Regards, BobF.
"jcuk" <jcuk.36j8g3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> UAC is disabled - the location is alread C:\Games\Steam..
>
> Ive tried also running as administrator. (running explorer.exe as
> administrator)
>

> --
> jcuk

Kerry Brown

Re: Read-only Flags as Owner
It is normal for folders to show as Read Only. This doesn't affect the files
in the folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

It sounds like you are running into a permissions problem not an attribute
problem. Can you post the full path to the folder?

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"jcuk" <jcuk.36j720@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I designed my own directory structure in windows xp and used it as a
> template for software and file management on vista. (seems to have been
> a big mistake)
>
> Currently i have all my games installed just on a Games folder, created
> by me in the Program-Files folder.
>
> Steam needs to write its own config file for any edits i make, However
> when trying to do this is just reverts back to prior settings. (As with
> other games)
>
> I tried removing the read-only flag from the attributes looked like it
> had done, closed and re-opened window and sure enough its back again.
>
> NB : im logged onto a user account, set in Administrators Group,
> created by myself.
>
> I then tried Security > Advanced > Owner > Edit to change from SYSTEM
> to Jamie (my username)
>
> After that, i also went to Security > Edit (To Change Permissions) >
> Add - Added Jamie as a user and set to full control.
>
> However still i cannot change from Read-only for all subfolders also.
>
> So to save me the hassle, as i never seem to get malicious software
> anyway... how do i disable this whole, lets be safe and wear a condom
> crap that microsoft have put into this somewhat good but REALLY
> annoyingwhenitdoesntwork operating system.)
>
> Im Running Windows Vista Ultimate x64.
>
> Thanks.
> Jamie
>

> --
> jcuk

jcuk

Re: Read-only Flags as Owner

kerry, thanks.

However ive decided to give into the extreme power that is vista and
somehow it has infact let me now cut my C:\Games folder and paste into
C:\Users\Myusernamefolder

--
jcuk
dmex

Re: Read-only Flags as Owner

Bob F.
jcuk and myself are using are using a web based forum, Were not using
the newsgroup directly. http://www.vistax64.com

jcuk try setting the folder permissions in the screenshot they are the
same I use for my games directory, If they dont work well let me know.

[image:
http://agtq3w.tuk.livefilestore.com/...k/Capture.JPG]

--
dmex
Kerry Brown

Re: Read-only Flags as Owner
"jcuk" <jcuk.36jln0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> kerry, thanks.
>
> However ive decided to give into the extreme power that is vista and
> somehow it has infact let me now cut my C:\Games folder and paste into
> C:\Users\Myusernamefolder

Part of the problem may have been caused by UAC being disabled. If you try
to change NTFS permissions from the GUI (Windows Explorer) with UAC disabled
it may not always work and you won't get any indication that it failed. This
is because Explorer is Vista aware and expects to be elevated for certain
tasks. With UAC disabled the elevation never takes place. To get consistent
results when changing NTFS permissions with UAC disabled you have to do it
from a command prompt with the icacls command.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

READ THIS IF YOU CANNOT GET DRIVE TO READ DISK TO FIX VISTA ERROR! reap70 microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 2 01-14-2009 10:12
read-only contacts unwilling to switch to read-write rhett.mtg@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 12-15-2007 21:23
Folders/files read only/can't create new folder in read only folde gshillitani microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 9 09-25-2007 13:50
Flags 2.0 Gamer Games Feed 0 06-29-2007 05:23
message flags Bobdar microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 03-07-2007 02:09