Read Only Folders

Hi, just installed Vista Home edition. I'm set up as administrator, but yet
my Word and Excel files are appearing as Read Only. When I check the
Properties, the read only box in the attribute is not checked. Suggestions?
jamesvdm

RE: Read Only Folders
Hi

What folder are the files in?
Just to confirm, are you right clicking on the files themselves to check the
Read Only box?

James

"C" wrote:

> Hi, just installed Vista Home edition. I'm set up as administrator, but yet
> my Word and Excel files are appearing as Read Only. When I check the
> Properties, the read only box in the attribute is not checked. Suggestions?

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Read Only Folders
Put the folder in a Details view, right-click on the column headers & add
the 'Attributes' column. Do the files have an 'R' in the attribute column?

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"C" <C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, just installed Vista Home edition. I'm set up as administrator, but
> yet
> my Word and Excel files are appearing as Read Only. When I check the
> Properties, the read only box in the attribute is not checked.
> Suggestions?

Re: Read Only Folders
Hi,

I have an "A", not "R". The file is in a folder under the "User" folder.
Both my wife and I share the computer under 2 different users. When I open
the file, either an Excell or Word, it shows on top that it is a Read Only
file.

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

> Put the folder in a Details view, right-click on the column headers & add
> the 'Attributes' column. Do the files have an 'R' in the attribute column?
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "C" <C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, just installed Vista Home edition. I'm set up as administrator, but
> > yet
> > my Word and Excel files are appearing as Read Only. When I check the
> > Properties, the read only box in the attribute is not checked.
> > Suggestions?

RE: Read Only Folders
In a folder under the User folder. I get a read only status when I actually
open the file in either Excell or Word, I cannot save the work, I have to
save as.

"jamesvdm" wrote:

> Hi
>
> What folder are the files in?
> Just to confirm, are you right clicking on the files themselves to check the
> Read Only box?
>
> James
>
> "C" wrote:
>
> > Hi, just installed Vista Home edition. I'm set up as administrator, but yet
> > my Word and Excel files are appearing as Read Only. When I check the
> > Properties, the read only box in the attribute is not checked. Suggestions?

Bob

Re: Read Only Folders
This might solve your problem.
Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"C" <C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, just installed Vista Home edition. I'm set up as administrator, but
> yet
> my Word and Excel files are appearing as Read Only. When I check the
> Properties, the read only box in the attribute is not checked.
> Suggestions?

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Read Only Folders
It's not read-only then. It's a permissions issue. Search help & support
for 'permissions' & the first result is on sharing files.

--

> Hi,
>
> I have an "A", not "R". The file is in a folder under the "User" folder.
> Both my wife and I share the computer under 2 different users. When I
> open
> the file, either an Excell or Word, it shows on top that it is a Read Only
> file.
>
> "Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Put the folder in a Details view, right-click on the column headers & add
>> the 'Attributes' column. Do the files have an 'R' in the attribute
>> column?
>>
>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

>> "C" <C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, just installed Vista Home edition. I'm set up as administrator, but
>> > yet
>> > my Word and Excel files are appearing as Read Only. When I check the
>> > Properties, the read only box in the attribute is not checked.
>> > Suggestions?

Casey

Re: Read Only Folders
Bob,
I am having the same problem as described here with my excel files.
Can you advise what can be done so I dont have to open my files as read only?

As stated by the other person I have an "A" in the attributes column.

Please help as this is very time consuming.
Thanks
Casey

"Bob" wrote:

> This might solve your problem.
> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "C" <C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, just installed Vista Home edition. I'm set up as administrator, but
> > yet
> > my Word and Excel files are appearing as Read Only. When I check the
> > Properties, the read only box in the attribute is not checked.
> > Suggestions?

Dave

Re: Read Only Folders
Add the "Take Ownership" to the right-click menu, as the link shows.
Then use it on the folder that the files are in.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

news17A6935-EFBD-4069-BEA5-19F095F226C5@microsoft.com...