how do I find files discarded by Windows upgrade?

brucedoesbms

how do I find files discarded by Windows upgrade?
I recently upgraded from Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Ultimate.
While running the Disk Cleanup utility, listed under "files to delete:" was
an unchecked box "Files discarded by Windows upgrade 1.34GB". The
description box below states: "Files from a previous Windows installation. As
a precaution, Windows upgrade keeps a copy of any files that were not moved
to the new version of Windows and were not identified as Windows system
files. If you are sure that no user's personal files are missing after the
upgrade, you can delete these files." My question: How do I find these files
so I can decide if I wish to delete or not?
jamesvdm

RE: how do I find files discarded by Windows upgrade?
Hi

When you highlight this option in Disk Cleanup do you have a button to 'View
Files' at the bottom of the window? Just a thought - I haven't seen it myself
or been able to find any screenshots.

James

"jamesvdm" wrote:

> Hi
>
> When you highlight this option in Disk Cleanup do you have a button to 'View
> Files' at the bottom of the window? Just a thought - I haven't seen it myself
> or been able to find any screenshots.
>
> James
>
> "brucedoesbms" wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded from Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Ultimate.
> > While running the Disk Cleanup utility, listed under "files to delete:" was
> > an unchecked box "Files discarded by Windows upgrade 1.34GB". The
> > description box below states: "Files from a previous Windows installation. As
> > a precaution, Windows upgrade keeps a copy of any files that were not moved
> > to the new version of Windows and were not identified as Windows system
> > files. If you are sure that no user's personal files are missing after the
> > upgrade, you can delete these files." My question: How do I find these files
> > so I can decide if I wish to delete or not?

James,

Actually, no. The "view files" option only shows up on the "temporary
internet files" and "downloaded program files", as well as files in the
recycle bin. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: how do I find files discarded by Windows upgrade?
Make sure Explorer is set to show both hidden & system files, then look for
a folder named Windows.Old on your system drive.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

> Make sure Explorer is set to show both hidden & system files, then look for
> a folder named Windows.Old on your system drive.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "brucedoesbms" <brucedoesbms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently upgraded from Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista
> >Ultimate.
> > While running the Disk Cleanup utility, listed under "files to delete:"
> > was
> > an unchecked box "Files discarded by Windows upgrade 1.34GB". The
> > description box below states: "Files from a previous Windows installation.
> > As
> > a precaution, Windows upgrade keeps a copy of any files that were not
> > moved
> > to the new version of Windows and were not identified as Windows system
> > files. If you are sure that no user's personal files are missing after the
> > upgrade, you can delete these files." My question: How do I find these
> > files
> > so I can decide if I wish to delete or not?

Hi Keith,

I did as you suggested and found no folder named windows.old. In looking
back through the upgrade instructions, that folder is created only if you do
a clean install (when selecting "Custom" instead of "Upgrade"). In this case,
I merely did the Upgrade option, so all apps, files, and settings should be
retained. The Disk Cleanup utility still indicates 1.34GB of "files discarded
by Windows upgrade, and I still have not been able to locate them. Thanks for
the suggestion.