What on earth did you do to windows explorer?

IanInLangley

What on earth did you do to windows explorer?
I've had Vista a few days and I'm shocked at how tough it is to organize
files. MS is poor in general at keeping things that work in one piece but
this is ridiculous. I've spent hours trying to put program shortcuts into a
folder I created in the start menu. To make matters worse explorer doesn't
even display a fraction of the shortcuts and folders in the start menu.
Why???. Even worse I'm prompted by the Admin permission nonsense if I try
good old fashioned cut and paste. Why??? Years ago Internet Explorer
Favorites were easy to organize and MS went and changed it and made it so
difficult I simply started using other browsers... There is never a good
reason to change something that works. Windows Explorer worked perfect. Its
now junk. The option of "Classic" Just changes the look not the function. As
a Comp Technician the first thing I do for people when intrducing them to
windows is put a sc to Win Explorer on their desktop and change the icon.
I've already downloaded firefox and I suspect I'll be using a 3rd party tool
to organize my files within days..
Good Job microsoft! Took 4 days to make me regret upgrading. If someone like
me is struggling with the basics lord help those who haven't been using
windows more than 10 years. What other "enhancements" await me? Not impressed.

Dave Cox

Re: What on earth did you do to windows explorer?
=?Utf-8?B?SWFuSW5MYW5nbGV5?=
<IanInLangley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I've had Vista a few days and I'm shocked at how tough it is to
> organize files. MS is poor in general at keeping things that work
> in one piece but this is ridiculous. I've spent hours trying to
> put program shortcuts into a folder I created in the start menu.
> To make matters worse explorer doesn't even display a fraction of
> the shortcuts and folders in the start menu. Why???. Even worse
> I'm prompted by the Admin permission nonsense if I try good old
> fashioned cut and paste. Why??? Years ago Internet Explorer
> Favorites were easy to organize and MS went and changed it and
> made it so difficult I simply started using other browsers...
> There is never a good reason to change something that works.
> Windows Explorer worked perfect. Its now junk. The option of
> "Classic" Just changes the look not the function. As a Comp
> Technician the first thing I do for people when intrducing them to
> windows is put a sc to Win Explorer on their desktop and change
> the icon. I've already downloaded firefox and I suspect I'll be
> using a 3rd party tool to organize my files within days..
> Good Job microsoft! Took 4 days to make me regret upgrading. If
> someone like me is struggling with the basics lord help those who
> haven't been using windows more than 10 years. What other
> "enhancements" await me? Not impressed.

I'm shocked you find it so hard to organize your files. Windows
Explorer makes organizing user files easier then ever. Just use the
Favorite Links Pane to create shortcuts to frequently accessed
folders and also you will notice the menu bar changes accordingly to
what folder/file you select plus there are many more custom column
choices you can select depending on your needs. If you organize all
your files UNDER your user name (the one your logged into) using
Widnows Explorer you will not get any UAC prompts. If you have files
you need to share between multiple users put them in the Public
Folders.

There are many ways to organize files with Vista you just need to
learn how.

Why you spent hours trying to put shortcuts into a folder in the
start menu is beyond me. With Vista I rarely use the Start Program
folders, just type what you want to use in the start search or PIN
any shortcut you use often the the start menu or if you must have a
folder of shortcuts just create one under your user name in Windows
Explorer and drag it to the start menu (not to mention the quick
launch bar). Basically there is no need to browse the program folders
in the start menu with Vista. Moving or editing folders or
files/shortcuts in the start menu does nothing but create problems,
leave them alone. If you must....use Windows Explorer (right click
the start orb and select EXPLORE) but once again I highly discourage
this.

IE7 is just as easy as any prior version to organize favorites all
you have to do is click the "Add To Favorites" Icon and select
Oraganize Favorites. I personally use Windows Explorer to Organize my
Favorites.

Why you put a shortcut to Windows Explorer on the desktop then change
the Icon is another one I am confused with.......You do know
"Computer" is Windows Explorer and it is on the Desktop by default
with any installation.

But the main thing to remember is VISTA is not XP. You will waste
more time trying to make Vista work and look like XP then you would
have if you just took the time to learn Vista. Once you learn how to
use Vista you wont be posting non issues like this and I would even
go as far as to say......you wouldn't ever look back.

Good Job Microsoft! I've had Vista for over 4 days and I haven't
regretted it once. I've been using computers for over 20 years and I
look forward to many more "Enchancements" in the future. I am
impressed.

Dave
Kevin

"Dave Cox" <dcox1961@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> Oraganize Favorites. I personally use Windows Explorer to Organize my
> Favorites.
>
> Why you put a shortcut to Windows Explorer on the desktop then change
> the Icon is another one I am confused with.......You do know
> "Computer" is Windows Explorer and it is on the Desktop by default
> with any installation.
>
> But the main thing to remember is VISTA is not XP. You will waste
> more time trying to make Vista work and look like XP then you would
> have if you just took the time to learn Vista. Once you learn how to
> use Vista you wont be posting non issues like this and I would even
> go as far as to say......you wouldn't ever look back.
>
> Good Job Microsoft! I've had Vista for over 4 days and I haven't
> regretted it once. I've been using computers for over 20 years and I
> look forward to many more "Enchancements" in the future. I am

I think the OP is confusing Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. Look at
his post again. He mentions Internet Explorer Favorites and then Windows
Explorer and also Firefox.

Tim

RE: What on earth did you do to windows explorer?
All aboard the failboat, am I right?

Not even giving the OPTION to change functionality to that of previous
versions is a slap in the face. Why I use 2003 server over vista.

"IanInLangley" wrote:

> I've had Vista a few days and I'm shocked at how tough it is to organize
> files. MS is poor in general at keeping things that work in one piece but
> this is ridiculous. I've spent hours trying to put program shortcuts into a
> folder I created in the start menu. To make matters worse explorer doesn't
> even display a fraction of the shortcuts and folders in the start menu.
> Why???. Even worse I'm prompted by the Admin permission nonsense if I try
> good old fashioned cut and paste. Why??? Years ago Internet Explorer
> Favorites were easy to organize and MS went and changed it and made it so
> difficult I simply started using other browsers... There is never a good
> reason to change something that works. Windows Explorer worked perfect. Its
> now junk. The option of "Classic" Just changes the look not the function. As
> a Comp Technician the first thing I do for people when intrducing them to
> windows is put a sc to Win Explorer on their desktop and change the icon.
> I've already downloaded firefox and I suspect I'll be using a 3rd party tool
> to organize my files within days..
> Good Job microsoft! Took 4 days to make me regret upgrading. If someone like
> me is struggling with the basics lord help those who haven't been using
> windows more than 10 years. What other "enhancements" await me? Not impressed.

Bob

Re: What on earth did you do to windows explorer?
I'm not a Comp Technician, however I have no problem with any of the things
you mentioned.

To disable the UAC prompt run "regedit". Navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
and change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.

I don't know how you tried to put program shortcuts into a
folder you created in the start menu but I have no problem doing so using
copy and paste.

You can simply drag and drop whatever you like to the Start Menu.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

> "IanInLangley" wrote:
>
>> I've had Vista a few days and I'm shocked at how tough it is to organize
>> files. MS is poor in general at keeping things that work in one piece but
>> this is ridiculous. I've spent hours trying to put program shortcuts into
>> folder I created in the start menu. To make matters worse explorer
>> doesn't
>> even display a fraction of the shortcuts and folders in the start menu.
>> Why???. Even worse I'm prompted by the Admin permission nonsense if I try
>> good old fashioned cut and paste. Why??? Years ago Internet Explorer
>> Favorites were easy to organize and MS went and changed it and made it so
>> difficult I simply started using other browsers... There is never a good
>> reason to change something that works. Windows Explorer worked perfect.
>> Its
>> now junk. The option of "Classic" Just changes the look not the function.
>> As
>> a Comp Technician the first thing I do for people when intrducing them to
>> windows is put a sc to Win Explorer on their desktop and change the icon.
>> I've already downloaded firefox and I suspect I'll be using a 3rd party
>> tool
>> to organize my files within days..
>> Good Job microsoft! Took 4 days to make me regret upgrading. If someone
>> like
>> me is struggling with the basics lord help those who haven't been using
>> windows more than 10 years. What other "enhancements" await me? Not
>> impressed.

-Phil Clemence

> [...]

> Oraganize Favorites. I personally use Windows Explorer to Organize my
> Favorites.
>
> Why you put a shortcut to Windows Explorer on the desktop then change
> the Icon is another one I am confused with.......You do know
> "Computer" is Windows Explorer and it is on the Desktop by default
> with any installation.
>
> But the main thing to remember is VISTA is not XP. You will waste
> more time trying to make Vista work and look like XP then you would
> have if you just took the time to learn Vista. Once you learn how to
> use Vista you wont be posting non issues like this and I would even
> go as far as to say......you wouldn't ever look back.
>
> Good Job Microsoft! I've had Vista for over 4 days and I haven't
> regretted it once. I've been using computers for over 20 years and I
> look forward to many more "Enchancements" in the future. I am

Why did you have to explain all that?
You proved yourself wrong

-Phil Clemence

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I'm not a Comp Technician, however I have no problem with any of the
> things you mentioned.
>
> To disable the UAC prompt run "regedit". Navigate to registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
> and change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.
>
> I don't know how you tried to put program shortcuts into a
> folder you created in the start menu but I have no problem doing so
> using copy and paste.
>
> You can simply drag and drop whatever you like to the Start Menu.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
> to so that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
>> "IanInLangley" wrote:
>>
>>> I've had Vista a few days and I'm shocked at how tough it is to
>>> organize
>>> files. MS is poor in general at keeping things that work in one piece
>>> but
>>> this is ridiculous. I've spent hours trying to put program shortcuts
>>> into a
>>> folder I created in the start menu. To make matters worse explorer
>>> doesn't
>>> even display a fraction of the shortcuts and folders in the start
>>> menu.
>>> Why???. Even worse I'm prompted by the Admin permission nonsense if I
>>> try
>>> good old fashioned cut and paste. Why??? Years ago Internet Explorer
>>> Favorites were easy to organize and MS went and changed it and made it
>>> so
>>> difficult I simply started using other browsers... There is never a
>>> good
>>> reason to change something that works. Windows Explorer worked
>>> perfect. Its
>>> now junk. The option of "Classic" Just changes the look not the
>>> function. As
>>> a Comp Technician the first thing I do for people when intrducing them
>>> windows is put a sc to Win Explorer on their desktop and change the
>>> icon.
>>> I've already downloaded firefox and I suspect I'll be using a 3rd
>>> party tool
>>> to organize my files within days..
>>> Good Job microsoft! Took 4 days to make me regret upgrading. If
>>> someone like
>>> me is struggling with the basics lord help those who haven't been
>>> using
>>> windows more than 10 years. What other "enhancements" await me? Not
>>> impressed.

You have to hack the registry to get rid of the annoyance?

Dave

Re: What on earth did you do to windows explorer?
No, you can turn UAC off, or use TweakUAC to hack the registry for you.....

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"-Phil Clemence" <me@loose_ends.com> wrote in message

> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> I'm not a Comp Technician, however I have no problem with any of the
>> things you mentioned.
>>
>> To disable the UAC prompt run "regedit". Navigate to registry key
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
>> and change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.
>>
>> I don't know how you tried to put program shortcuts into a
>> folder you created in the start menu but I have no problem doing so using
>> copy and paste.
>>
>> You can simply drag and drop whatever you like to the Start Menu.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
>> so that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> [How to ask a question]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

> You have to hack the registry to get rid of the annoyance?

Bob

Re: What on earth did you do to windows explorer?
True, but what I suggested does not turn off UAC...only the UAC prompt.
-------

"Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
> No, you can turn UAC off, or use TweakUAC to hack the registry for
> you.....
>

> --
> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "-Phil Clemence" <me@loose_ends.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm not a Comp Technician, however I have no problem with any of the
>>> things you mentioned.
>>>
>>> To disable the UAC prompt run "regedit". Navigate to registry key
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
>>> and change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.
>>>
>>> I don't know how you tried to put program shortcuts into a
>>> folder you created in the start menu but I have no problem doing so
>>> using copy and paste.
>>>
>>> You can simply drag and drop whatever you like to the Start Menu.
>>> -------
>>> *Report back, please*
>>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>>> to so that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>>
>>> [How to ask a question]
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

>> You have to hack the registry to get rid of the annoyance?

Dave

Re: What on earth did you do to windows explorer?
TweakUAC has a silent mode, which leaves UAC on, but turns off the
prompt.... same as the registry tweak.
For users that may not want to edit the registry.

--

news:feSdnSYluaIP03janZ2dnUVZ_tSknZ2d@comcast.com. ..