Vista Search doesn't find files by filename

Puppy Breath

Re: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
Curiouser and curiouser. It sounds like you've checked all the usual
suspects. But just to make sure:

1. Right-click the start button and choose Properties.

2. Click Customize next to Start Menu.

3. Make sure all the Search… checkboxes are selected. I usually choose
"Search this user's files" as that keeps the search index for Start menu
searches relatively small.

4. Click OK.

5. Click the Start button type inde and click Indexing Options.

6. Make sure Users is listed in the indexed locations.

7. Go ahead and click Modify and Show All Locations, elevate, and make sure
all the locations you think should be indexed are indexed.

8. Click OK.

9. Click Advanced.

10. Click File Types.

11. Make sure doc (and docx if you're using Word 2007) are checked and
indexing Properties and File Contents. Likewise for any other file types you
use regularly and would want in your index.

12. Click OK.

Offhand I can't think of anything else you could do. If you didn't change
anything you probably see Indexing Complete in the Indexing Options. Go
ahead and close that. Just to check, I would create a Word document with
some unusual word or phrase in it like:

Frankly verbose

Save the file with some other file name (doris.doc or doris.docx). Wait a
couple seconds, click Start, search for the word or phrase (franly, verbose,
or both). The doris file should show up.

Then if it shows up there go ahead and search for doris. The file should
show up there too.

Then search for *.doc (or *.docx if you're using Word 2007). Or d*.doc or
d*.docx if you have a ton of word docs. That should work too.

I just did all that with Word 2007 and every search produced instant
accurate keystroke-by-keystroke results. I didn't even wait a couple seconds
after saving the doc. Anyone else have any idea what's going on here?

"Radiophile" <Radiophile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB13C51D-C5BB-4874-92C4-661695B1B4A7@microsoft.com...
> [...]
> staring right at the file in another Windows Explorer window, and type its
> name into the Search exactly.
>
> With very few exceptions, Search only finds text-match results in e-mails.
> have no ability in Vista on this PC to search by file name, at all. Help!
>
> "Radiophile" wrote:
>
>> I can't find files by filename. I know the names, I type word(s) that
>> are in
>> the name, and Search doesn't find them. The files are in indexed
>> locations
>> (the Documents folder). I can also try searching by extension, for
>> example
>> *.jpg, *.mp3, *.doc. I have thousands of these file types in Documents.
>> Search doesn't find them. I've re-indexed. I've looked at the KB:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/932989/en-us and I don't
>> think
>> any of those things apply.
>>
>> I'm looking at a file in Windows Explorer right now for example: The
>> Beatles
>> - I Want To Hold Your Hand.mp3 It's in Documents\Music. I can enter
>> "beatles," "Beatles," or "hand" for example, into the Start Menu search
>> or a
>> Windows Explorer search, and nothing is found. I just opened a new
>> Windows
>> Explorer, navigated to \Documents\Music\Oldies\The Beatles and typed
>> "beatles" into the search box. The result is "No items match your
>> search"
>> when in fact the word "beatles" is in every file name in this folder.
>>
>> Search is great at finding words in my e-mails. In fact when I try
>> random
>> searches all I usually get back are e-mail results under the
>> Communications
>> category. Almost never does it list any files under the Files category.
>> For
>> example I just tried a search from the Start menu for the word "word".
>> It
>> found the program Word; it found a bunch of e-mails containing "word"; it
>> found a single text file, and that's it.
>>
>> I have Vista installed on another PC here -- on that one, Seach works
>> fine,
>> finding files by filename as it should.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9waGlsZQ==?=

RE: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
I'm replying to my own post. More info.

I've tried deleting the location (Documents folder) from Search Options,
waiting for all the items to be "un-indexed," rebooting, adding them again,
waiting for "Indexing complete" (takes a while to index 36,000 items).
Problem still not fixed.

It seems to not have anything to do with indexing anyway. If I search
including "non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)", yes indeed
it is slow, but it doesn't find anything anyway. This includes if I'm
staring right at the file in another Windows Explorer window, and type its

With very few exceptions, Search only finds text-match results in e-mails. I

"Radiophile" wrote:

> I can't find files by filename. I know the names, I type word(s) that are in
> the name, and Search doesn't find them. The files are in indexed locations
> (the Documents folder). I can also try searching by extension, for example
> *.jpg, *.mp3, *.doc. I have thousands of these file types in Documents.
> Search doesn't find them. I've re-indexed. I've looked at the KB:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/932989/en-us and I don't think
> any of those things apply.
>
> I'm looking at a file in Windows Explorer right now for example: The Beatles
> - I Want To Hold Your Hand.mp3 It's in Documents\Music. I can enter
> "beatles," "Beatles," or "hand" for example, into the Start Menu search or a
> Windows Explorer search, and nothing is found. I just opened a new Windows
> Explorer, navigated to \Documents\Music\Oldies\The Beatles and typed
> "beatles" into the search box. The result is "No items match your search"
> when in fact the word "beatles" is in every file name in this folder.
>
> Search is great at finding words in my e-mails. In fact when I try random
> searches all I usually get back are e-mail results under the Communications
> category. Almost never does it list any files under the Files category. For
> example I just tried a search from the Start menu for the word "word". It
> found the program Word; it found a bunch of e-mails containing "word"; it
> found a single text file, and that's it.
>
> I have Vista installed on another PC here -- on that one, Seach works fine,
> finding files by filename as it should.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9waGlsZQ==?=

Re: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
Thanks, P.B. Here's what I found.

- All the Search checkboxes are checked. "Search this user's files" was
selected, but I changed it to "Search entire index" just to try it.

- Users is shown in the list in my Indexing Options dialog. I clicked
modify, _didn't see anything about "Show All Locations" (an Indexed Locations
dialog appeared directly)_, didn't get asked about elevation (maybe because
I'm an administrator, and UAC is turned off), and yes, I looked at all the
folders (and drilled all the way down to the lowest level subfolders) to
confirm all folders already had their checkboxes checked.

- The file extensions of interest are selected to be indexed, and they're
"Index Properties and File Contents."

- Yes, nothing changed so I still see Indexing Complete in the options dialog.

- I created the Word (2003) test file just as you suggested. Save, close,
wait a few minutes... Searched from the Start menu:

"Frankly" - just a bunch of e-mails, presumably with that word in them

"verbose" - no items match your search - Hmm.. must have never used that
word in an e-mail.

"doris" - a bunch of e-mails, AND the file doris.doc ! I hadn't expected it
to find this file, because it won't find any of the older Word docs in this
same folder if I type their file names.

So, if the pattern follows, I guess I'll be able to find any new files I
create from here on out, but none of the 36,000 files I transferred over from
my XP machine (using Easy Transfer).

And anyway, it couldn't find this new document searching on "Frankly" or
"verbose".

"Puppy Breath" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Explorer, navigated to \Documents\Music\Oldies\The Beatles and typed
> >> "beatles" into the search box. The result is "No items match your
> >> search"
> >> when in fact the word "beatles" is in every file name in this folder.
> >>
> >> Search is great at finding words in my e-mails. In fact when I try
> >> random
> >> searches all I usually get back are e-mail results under the
> >> Communications
> >> category. Almost never does it list any files under the Files category.
> >> For
> >> example I just tried a search from the Start menu for the word "word".
> >> It
> >> found the program Word; it found a bunch of e-mails containing "word"; it
> >> found a single text file, and that's it.
> >>
> >> I have Vista installed on another PC here -- on that one, Seach works

Dennis_N

Re: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:26:11 -0700, Radiophile
<Radiophile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks, P.B. Here's what I found.
>
>- All the Search checkboxes are checked. "Search this user's files" was
>selected, but I changed it to "Search entire index" just to try it.
>
>- Users is shown in the list in my Indexing Options dialog. I clicked
>modify, _didn't see anything about "Show All Locations" (an Indexed Locations
>dialog appeared directly)_, didn't get asked about elevation (maybe because
>I'm an administrator, and UAC is turned off), and yes, I looked at all the
>folders (and drilled all the way down to the lowest level subfolders) to
>confirm all folders already had their checkboxes checked.
>
>- The file extensions of interest are selected to be indexed, and they're
>"Index Properties and File Contents."
>
>- Yes, nothing changed so I still see Indexing Complete in the options dialog.
>
>- I created the Word (2003) test file just as you suggested. Save, close,
>wait a few minutes... Searched from the Start menu:
>
>"Frankly" - just a bunch of e-mails, presumably with that word in them
>
>"verbose" - no items match your search - Hmm.. must have never used that
>word in an e-mail.
>
>"doris" - a bunch of e-mails, AND the file doris.doc ! I hadn't expected it
>to find this file, because it won't find any of the older Word docs in this
>same folder if I type their file names.
>
>So, if the pattern follows, I guess I'll be able to find any new files I
>create from here on out, but none of the 36,000 files I transferred over from
>my XP machine (using Easy Transfer).
>
>And anyway, it couldn't find this new document searching on "Frankly" or
>"verbose".

Indexing is set to true on your drives right ? (Right click drive,
properties - at the bottom of the pane )

You could try to rebuild the index. (Control panel / indexing /
advanced)

Try enabling UAC and rebuild.

Have you made any other major changes or 'hacks' other than disabling
UAC ?

Regards
Dennis_N

Re: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
Just another thought...

I assume you created these files under xp right ?

Have you taken ownership of the files ?
I don't think you get results from locations / files you don't 'own'.

Since you run as admin with UAC off, it gets kind off muddy

Try taking ownership of some files, wait a couple of min's. and
search.

Regards
mj

Re: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
go to windows explorer
choose organize
choose the search tab
under how to search make sure
you uncheck the fourth box.

>I can't find files by filename. I know the names, I type
>word(s) that are in
> the name, and Search doesn't find them. The files are in
> indexed locations
> (the Documents folder). I can also try searching by extension,
> for example
> *.jpg, *.mp3, *.doc. I have thousands of these file types in
> Documents.
> Search doesn't find them. I've re-indexed. I've looked at the
> KB:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/932989/en-us and
> I don't think
> any of those things apply.
>
> I'm looking at a file in Windows Explorer right now for
> example: The Beatles
> - I Want To Hold Your Hand.mp3 It's in Documents\Music. I
> can enter
> "beatles," "Beatles," or "hand" for example, into the Start
> Menu search or a
> Windows Explorer search, and nothing is found. I just opened a
> new Windows
> Explorer, navigated to \Documents\Music\Oldies\The Beatles and
> typed
> "beatles" into the search box. The result is "No items match
> your search"
> when in fact the word "beatles" is in every file name in this
> folder.
>
> Search is great at finding words in my e-mails. In fact when I
> try random
> searches all I usually get back are e-mail results under the
> Communications
> category. Almost never does it list any files under the Files
> category. For
> example I just tried a search from the Start menu for the word
> "word". It
> found the program Word; it found a bunch of e-mails containing
> "word"; it
> found a single text file, and that's it.
>
> I have Vista installed on another PC here -- on that one, Seach
> works fine,
> finding files by filename as it should.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9waGlsZQ==?=

Re: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
Thanks, but the 4th box ("Don't use the index...") is already unchecked.

"mj" wrote:

> go to windows explorer
> choose organize
> choose the search tab
> under how to search make sure
> you uncheck the fourth box.
>

> "Radiophile" <Radiophile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> >I can't find files by filename. I know the names, I type
> >word(s) that are in
> > the name, and Search doesn't find them. The files are in
> > indexed locations
> > (the Documents folder). I can also try searching by extension,
> > for example
> > *.jpg, *.mp3, *.doc. I have thousands of these file types in
> > Documents.
> > Search doesn't find them. I've re-indexed. I've looked at the
> > KB:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/932989/en-us and
> > I don't think
> > any of those things apply.
> >
> > I'm looking at a file in Windows Explorer right now for
> > example: The Beatles
> > - I Want To Hold Your Hand.mp3 It's in Documents\Music. I
> > can enter
> > "beatles," "Beatles," or "hand" for example, into the Start
> > Menu search or a
> > Windows Explorer search, and nothing is found. I just opened a
> > new Windows
> > Explorer, navigated to \Documents\Music\Oldies\The Beatles and
> > typed
> > "beatles" into the search box. The result is "No items match
> > your search"
> > when in fact the word "beatles" is in every file name in this
> > folder.
> >
> > Search is great at finding words in my e-mails. In fact when I
> > try random
> > searches all I usually get back are e-mail results under the
> > Communications
> > category. Almost never does it list any files under the Files
> > category. For
> > example I just tried a search from the Start menu for the word
> > "word". It
> > found the program Word; it found a bunch of e-mails containing
> > "word"; it
> > found a single text file, and that's it.
> >
> > I have Vista installed on another PC here -- on that one, Seach
> > works fine,
> > finding files by filename as it should.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9waGlsZQ==?=

Re: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
Well, I created the files under XP, Win98SE, Win98, Win95, Win 3.1, MS-DOS.
I've been creating and keeping files for a long time. I spot checked a
few files that don't show up in Search, and I am already listed as the owner.
I couldn't find any files (looking only in the Documents folder) that I
don't own. But they still don't show up in Search.

"Dennis_N" wrote:

> Just another thought...
>
> I assume you created these files under xp right ?
>
> Have you taken ownership of the files ?
> I don't think you get results from locations / files you don't 'own'.
>
> Since you run as admin with UAC off, it gets kind off muddy
>
> Try taking ownership of some files, wait a couple of min's. and
> search.
>
> Regards

mj

Re: Vista Search doesn't find files by filename
wow sorry you are experiencing this. I had a search problem
with vista too that I thankfully solved. there is a setting
called go back to defaults on the index options page. when I
did this it rebuilt the index and seemed to just start
fresh. maybe you could try. good luck.