file defragmentation

Is it possible to run the Contig / PageDefrag tools in Vista?

Are they needed? Or does Vista defragment the files / pagefile in
background?

Dustin Harper

Re: file defragmentation
Defrag has a new look, but it runs by default every Wednesday at 1:00am.
You can also run it manually by going to Start Orb | All Programs |
Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragment

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
<pasticka@bleble.jixo.cz> wrote in message
> Is it possible to run the Contig / PageDefrag tools in Vista?
>
> Are they needed? Or does Vista defragment the files / pagefile in
> background?

OKuma

Re: file defragmentation
The defrag tool in Vista is made by Diskeeper.
Basically, this defrag tool has been embedded in to the OS since Win95.
The built in tool, to my knowledge, does not defrag the pagefile or the MFT.
You would need to get a full version of a Defrag Software.

Just a note:
I believe Microsoft was made to remove the build-in Diskeeper from all
the Windows OSes that were to be used by German Government.

Diskeeper has version 2007, but you have to download a patch to get it to
work with Vista.
Also, the price depends on the version of Vista you are running. It can get
expensive.

I recently converted to PerfectDisk 8.0 by Raxco. They are the only defrag
software that is certified to run on Vista.

It's a lot faster and does a much better job than DiskKeeper.

But anyway, to defrag the Pagefile and or the MFT, you will need a Third
Party Defrag Tool.

As long as the pagefile is not managed by the system, you shouldn't get much
fragmentation, but the MFT on the other hand, gets heavily fragmented.

Personally, I would get PerfectDisk 8.0, it's doesn't cost a whole lot, it's
$8 for a year of maintained, and it's the only defrager the is Certified to
Run on Vista.

Just my .02˘

Regards,

OKuma

<pasticka@bleble.jixo.cz> wrote in message
> Is it possible to run the Contig / PageDefrag tools in Vista?
>
> Are they needed? Or does Vista defragment the files / pagefile in
> background?

Duncan McC

Re: file defragmentation
In article <0A49108C-8BB6-4D7A-BBEA-0B274C80903C@microsoft.com>,
okuma@okumaware.com says...
> The defrag tool in Vista is made by Diskeeper.
> Basically, this defrag tool has been embedded in to the OS since Win95.
> The built in tool, to my knowledge, does not defrag the pagefile or the MFT.
> You would need to get a full version of a Defrag Software.
>
> Just a note:
> I believe Microsoft was made to remove the build-in Diskeeper from all
> the Windows OSes that were to be used by German Government.
>
> Diskeeper has version 2007, but you have to download a patch to get it to
> work with Vista.
> Also, the price depends on the version of Vista you are running. It can get
> expensive.
>
> I recently converted to PerfectDisk 8.0 by Raxco. They are the only defrag
> software that is certified to run on Vista.
>
> It's a lot faster and does a much better job than DiskKeeper.
>
> But anyway, to defrag the Pagefile and or the MFT, you will need a Third
> Party Defrag Tool.
>
> As long as the pagefile is not managed by the system, you shouldn't get much
> fragmentation, but the MFT on the other hand, gets heavily fragmented.
>
> Personally, I would get PerfectDisk 8.0, it's doesn't cost a whole lot, it's
> $8 for a year of maintained, and it's the only defrager the is Certified to
> Run on Vista.
>
> Just my .02˘

Good info.

Have you tried the SysInternals defrag util - it defrags stuff that MS's
defrag doesn't. And it's free.

MS liked them so much, they bought em!

http://www.sysinternals.com

Chit! - just went there and it redirects to MS. And guess what, the
defrag tool isn't there!

Seems to be the only one missing - thanks Microsoft.

--
Duncan
Duncan McC

Re: file defragmentation
In article <0A49108C-8BB6-4D7A-BBEA-0B274C80903C@microsoft.com>,
okuma@okumaware.com says...
> The defrag tool in Vista is made by Diskeeper.
> Basically, this defrag tool has been embedded in to the OS since Win95.
> The built in tool, to my knowledge, does not defrag the pagefile or the MFT.
> You would need to get a full version of a Defrag Software.
>
> Just a note:
> I believe Microsoft was made to remove the build-in Diskeeper from all
> the Windows OSes that were to be used by German Government.
>
> Diskeeper has version 2007, but you have to download a patch to get it to
> work with Vista.
> Also, the price depends on the version of Vista you are running. It can get
> expensive.
>
> I recently converted to PerfectDisk 8.0 by Raxco. They are the only defrag
> software that is certified to run on Vista.
>
> It's a lot faster and does a much better job than DiskKeeper.
>
> But anyway, to defrag the Pagefile and or the MFT, you will need a Third
> Party Defrag Tool.
>
> As long as the pagefile is not managed by the system, you shouldn't get much
> fragmentation, but the MFT on the other hand, gets heavily fragmented.
>
> Personally, I would get PerfectDisk 8.0, it's doesn't cost a whole lot, it's
> $8 for a year of maintained, and it's the only defrager the is Certified to
> Run on Vista.
>
> Just my .02˘

OK - I'm wrong

Here tis:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...agedefrag.mspx

Don't know if it works on Vista.

--
Duncan

Re: file defragmentation
In Win 95 Norton supplied the defrag. In Win2000 and later NT systems
diskkeeper did provide the defragger. Vista's does do the MFT although XP's
didn't.
news:MPG.2067e40a4ecc8c98988a@news.microsoft.com.. .