any way to enable "alternate data streams" in Vista ?

Max

any way to enable "alternate data streams" in Vista ?
Hi people, with windows XP I used a lot the A.D.S for "input" some comment,
keywords for a lot a files of my so it was really easy to find them with a
3thparty software (or even the build in serach of XP)

But Vista do not more support this !!!

Anyway to enable this ?

Thx a lot...

Tom Ferguson

Re: any way to enable "alternate data streams" in Vista ?
??

See http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archiv...21/580285.aspx

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Max" <twinsen24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi people, with windows XP I used a lot the A.D.S for "input" some
> comment, keywords for a lot a files of my so it was really easy to find
> them with a 3thparty software (or even the build in serach of XP)
>
> But Vista do not more support this !!!
>
> Anyway to enable this ?
>
> Thx a lot...

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: any way to enable "alternate data streams" in Vista ?
I think what Max means is there's no way in the Vista Explorer to store
metadata properties {keywords etc.} about the file in an Alternate Data
Stream automatically. This approach had a number of problems in XP so it got
removed for Vista. This unfortunately means if the file type doesn't support
arbitrary metadata properties in the format itself the file can't be tagged.

"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> ??
>
> See http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archiv...21/580285.aspx
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "Max" <twinsen24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi people, with windows XP I used a lot the A.D.S for "input" some
>> comment, keywords for a lot a files of my so it was really easy to find
>> them with a 3thparty software (or even the build in serach of XP)
>>
>> But Vista do not more support this !!!
>>
>> Anyway to enable this ?
>>
>> Thx a lot...

Max

Re: any way to enable "alternate data streams" in Vista ?
Yes it's what I mean,

it's so bad that Microsoft don't let the opportunity to choose to use or not
this function, because I have a lot of file how use a.d.s for classification
and now with vista I loose this benefit.

because what cool with a.d.s, if the file don't support arbitrary metadata
properties itself you can still use "metadata"

I hope Microsoft will do something for that in the futur

thx