change the default explorer mode to explore

hopfrog

change the default explorer mode to explore

I found a tweak on tweakvista a while back that changed explorer to
always open in explore mode, so no matter what folder I opened, it was
always in explore... in xp I changed this setting in folder options,
under the folder types, but I can't find this setting anywhere - I have
searched and searched, but I can't find this tweak again! Please help!

--
hopfrog
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: change the default explorer mode to explore
Open regedit & navigate to:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]

Double-click the (Default) value in the right-hand pane and make the value
data: 'explore' (without quotes).

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"hopfrog" <hopfrog.36d9v0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I found a tweak on tweakvista a while back that changed explorer to
> always open in explore mode, so no matter what folder I opened, it was
> always in explore... in xp I changed this setting in folder options,
> under the folder types, but I can't find this setting anywhere - I have
> searched and searched, but I can't find this tweak again! Please help!
>

> --
> hopfrog

hopfrog

Re: change the default explorer mode to explore

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply, and it does work when I open the first folder...
but when I click through to any others, they open in a ''normal'' view.
I have tried applying the folder options to all folders, but that
doesn't seem to work.

I think the regedit option is on the right track... any other options I
could try?

--
hopfrog
Bob

Re: change the default explorer mode to explore
Hi Keith,
I haven't seen the term before. What is "explore mode"?
Googled it but couldn't find an answer.
Wiki is looking for someone to answer the question as well.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...ode_by_default

" Keith Miller (MVP)" <k.miller@NOSPAM.mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Open regedit & navigate to:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
>
> Double-click the (Default) value in the right-hand pane and make the value
> data: 'explore' (without quotes).
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "hopfrog" <hopfrog.36d9v0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I found a tweak on tweakvista a while back that changed explorer to
>> always open in explore mode, so no matter what folder I opened, it was
>> always in explore... in xp I changed this setting in folder options,
>> under the folder types, but I can't find this setting anywhere - I have
>> searched and searched, but I can't find this tweak again! Please help!
>>

>> --
>> hopfrog

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: change the default explorer mode to explore
When a folder opens in a 'normal' view, click 'Organize' -> 'Layout' ->
'Navigation Pane' to display the folder pane. Then close the folder. On
the next open, it should behave as you want. Vista remembers the Explorer
layout (navigation pane, details pane, preview pane) for each type of
template, so once you've done this for a folder of one type, it will affect
all folders of that type. So you've got to hit folders using the following
templates:

All Items
Documents
Pictures & Videos
Music Icons
Music Details
Contacts

--

"hopfrog" <hopfrog.36dn23@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi Keith,
>
> Thanks for the reply, and it does work when I open the first folder...
> but when I click through to any others, they open in a ''normal'' view.
> I have tried applying the folder options to all folders, but that
> doesn't seem to work.
>
> I think the regedit option is on the right track... any other options I
> could try?
>

> --
> hopfrog

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: change the default explorer mode to explore
When you right-click on a folder, you have both 'Open' & 'Explore' options.
Under Xp, 'Open' displayed a folder with the Common Tasks pane on the
left-hand side and 'Explore' displayed the Folder tree on the left-hand
side.

The difference in Vista is murkier

Open a folder with subfolders & right-click one of the folders in the
right-hand pane -- what is the default verb? If the folder list is
displayed in the navigation pane, the default will be 'Explore'. If the
folder list is collapsed so that the entire pane is Favorite Links or if the
Navigation pane is not displayed, the default will be 'Open'.

If you set the navigation pane to not be displayed, and then test the
differences between right-click 'Open' vs. 'Explore' the difference is more
apparent.

--

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hi Keith,
> I haven't seen the term before. What is "explore mode"?
> Googled it but couldn't find an answer.
> Wiki is looking for someone to answer the question as well.
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...ode_by_default
>
> " Keith Miller (MVP)" <k.miller@NOSPAM.mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> Open regedit & navigate to:
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
>>
>> Double-click the (Default) value in the right-hand pane and make the
>> value data: 'explore' (without quotes).
>>
>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

>> "hopfrog" <hopfrog.36d9v0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I found a tweak on tweakvista a while back that changed explorer to
>>> always open in explore mode, so no matter what folder I opened, it was
>>> always in explore... in xp I changed this setting in folder options,
>>> under the folder types, but I can't find this setting anywhere - I have
>>> searched and searched, but I can't find this tweak again! Please help!
>>>

>>> --
>>> hopfrog

Bob

Re: change the default explorer mode to explore

Thanks Keith.
It seems to me the difference is "murkier" AND insignificant.

> When you right-click on a folder, you have both 'Open' & 'Explore'
> options. Under Xp, 'Open' displayed a folder with the Common Tasks pane on
> the left-hand side and 'Explore' displayed the Folder tree on the
> left-hand side.
>
> The difference in Vista is murkier
>
> Open a folder with subfolders & right-click one of the folders in the
> right-hand pane -- what is the default verb? If the folder list is
> displayed in the navigation pane, the default will be 'Explore'. If the
> folder list is collapsed so that the entire pane is Favorite Links or if
> the Navigation pane is not displayed, the default will be 'Open'.
>
> If you set the navigation pane to not be displayed, and then test the
> differences between right-click 'Open' vs. 'Explore' the difference is
> more apparent.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Keith,
>> I haven't seen the term before. What is "explore mode"?
>> Googled it but couldn't find an answer.
>> Wiki is looking for someone to answer the question as well.
>> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...ode_by_default
>>
>> " Keith Miller (MVP)" <k.miller@NOSPAM.mchsi.com> wrote in message
>>> Open regedit & navigate to:
>>>
>>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
>>>
>>> Double-click the (Default) value in the right-hand pane and make the
>>> value data: 'explore' (without quotes).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Keith
>>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

hopfrog

Re: change the default explorer mode to explore

Yay! That works! My sanity has been restored!

--
hopfrog
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: change the default explorer mode to explore
Glad to help