Fat Doris

Using Windows Vista and Office 97 - I am having difficulty finding my way
around the search facility in Vista and don't find Help very helpful in this
context. Where can I find out how to:
a) search for a file created or modified between two dates (I can only find
"before [date] or after [date]);
b) search for a word in the text only, not in the title - and vice versa;
c) search for a string of text.

XP had a very simple, comprehensive dialogue box which included all the
above, and more. Where is it's equivalent in Vista? The Advanced Search box
is no help.

Thank you.

John Hanley

Re: Search
You can get some good information about the Vista search function at these
web sites:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...echniques.aspx

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...h-folders.aspx

"Fat Doris" <FatDoris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows Vista and Office 97 - I am having difficulty finding my way
> around the search facility in Vista and don't find Help very helpful in
> this
> context. Where can I find out how to:
> a) search for a file created or modified between two dates (I can only
> find
> "before [date] or after [date]);
> b) search for a word in the text only, not in the title - and vice versa;
> c) search for a string of text.
>
> XP had a very simple, comprehensive dialogue box which included all the
> above, and more. Where is it's equivalent in Vista? The Advanced Search
> box
> is no help.
>
> Thank you.

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Search
John,

Some really good info there. However, the blog postings only reinforce
the original complaint (which I agree with). The Vista search function
is way too complicated. If typing in "Start search" doesn't work, or
you want a more restricted search, it's way harder to do it with Vista
than XP (or earlier)....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

John Hanley wrote:
> You can get some good information about the Vista search function at
> these web sites:
>
> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...echniques.aspx
>

> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...h-folders.aspx
>

> "Fat Doris" <FatDoris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Using Windows Vista and Office 97 - I am having difficulty finding my way
>> around the search facility in Vista and don't find Help very helpful
>> in this
>> context. Where can I find out how to:
>> a) search for a file created or modified between two dates (I can only
>> find
>> "before [date] or after [date]);
>> b) search for a word in the text only, not in the title - and vice versa;
>> c) search for a string of text.
>>
>> XP had a very simple, comprehensive dialoge box which included all the
>> above, and more. Where is it's equivalent in Vista? The Advanced
>> Search box
>> is no help.
>>
>> Thank you.

Bob

Re: Search
date:>2/7/05<2/10/05
Searches for a date in the Date property between the values 2/7/05 and
2/10/05, excluding the end dates

date:>=2/7/05<=2/10/05
Searches for a date in the Date property between the values 2/7/05 and
2/10/05, including the end dates