User Shell Folder Redirection Broken ???

Synapse Syndrome

User Shell Folder Redirection Broken ???
I have changed the Location on all my User Shell Folder. I expected the
original folder addresses to still be usable, like it is when you Mount a
partition to an NTFS folder.

Can I fix this using MKLINK? Could someone show me how to make a btach file
to make this mklink redirect to folders named the same, but on the root of
D:

Hope this is understandable by somebody. Cheers.

ss.

Keith Miller MVP

Re: User Shell Folder Redirection Broken ???
When redirected, the User Shell Folders should still show under
'Desktop\UserName' but won't show under
'Desktop\Computer\<SystemDrive>\Users\UserName'.

So if 'Music' has been redirected to 'D:\Music'

G:\Users\Keith>mklink /J Music D:\Music

If either the Link name or the Target name have spaces, enclose them in
quotes.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
>I have changed the Location on all my User Shell Folder. I expected the
>original folder addresses to still be usable, like it is when you Mount a
>partition to an NTFS folder.
>
> Can I fix this using MKLINK? Could someone show me how to make a btach
> file to make this mklink redirect to folders named the same, but on the
> root of D:
>
> Hope this is understandable by somebody. Cheers.
>
> ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> When redirected, the User Shell Folders should still show under
> 'Desktop\UserName' but won't show under
> 'Desktop\Computer\<SystemDrive>\Users\UserName'.
>
> So if 'Music' has been redirected to 'D:\Music'
>

> G:\Users\Keith>mklink /J Music D:\Music
>

> If either the Link name or the Target name have spaces, enclose them in
> quotes.

Thanks a lot Keith. I was hoping you would answer. I'm glad you understood
my badly worded post.

I was wondering what the mklink /d and /h switches would be used for?

Also, would I be able to move AppData to my RAID1 drives as well, maybe
using a hardlink?

What is the difference, and is it possible to move AppData as well? This
would make reinstalling the OS so much simpler if all user data could be
kept separate like this.

ss.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJldHQ=?=

Re: User Shell Folder Redirection Broken ???
Hi. I've used the mklink /j /d and regedit technique to move both C:\ Program
directories to E:\ and the Users and ProgramData directories to F:\ (both on
2nd drive). It all works fine in Vista, accept when I use System Restore.
After SR, Vista Ultimate starts up with temp user profiles, and it appears
that all user settings are lost, or that Vista can't find them. Did I miss
something?

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote:

> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> > When redirected, the User Shell Folders should still show under
> > 'Desktop\UserName' but won't show under
> > 'Desktop\Computer\<SystemDrive>\Users\UserName'.
> >
> > So if 'Music' has been redirected to 'D:\Music'
> >

> > G:\Users\Keith>mklink /J Music D:\Music
> >

> > If either the Link name or the Target name have spaces, enclose them in
> > quotes.
> >

> Thanks a lot Keith. I was hoping you would answer. I'm glad you understood
> my badly worded post.
>
> I was wondering what the mklink /d and /h switches would be used for?
>
> Also, would I be able to move AppData to my RAID1 drives as well, maybe
> using a hardlink?
>
> What is the difference, and is it possible to move AppData as well? This
> would make reinstalling the OS so much simpler if all user data could be
> kept separate like this.
>
> ss.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: User Shell Folder Redirection Broken ???
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:58:08 -0700, Brett

>Hi. I've used the mklink /j /d and regedit technique to move both C:\ Program
>directories to E:\ and the Users and ProgramData directories to F:\ (both on
>2nd drive). It all works fine in Vista, accept when I use System Restore.
>After SR, Vista Ultimate starts up with temp user profiles, and it appears
>that all user settings are lost, or that Vista can't find them. Did I miss
>something?

Are you SR-restoring back to before the setting was applied? That
could be nasty, if this reverts the path (because that is a system
change) without copying back the data (because data files are not
monitored by SR). Hmm.. seems buggy at the basic logic level, that.

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!