Vista wants to format CDs

Ray

Vista wants to format CDs
When I try to open a CD (*not* a CD-R or -RW) in Explorer, it often
pops up a window asking how I want to format it. This is kind of silly
for a non-writeable disc. If I click Cancel, it won't open the disc.
Instead I have to let it try to format the disc and give up before it
will open.

A while back I called Dell support and was told to uninstall the CD
drive and reboot. This fixed the problem once, but when I tried it
again more recently it didn't help. I also tried turning on the Shell
Hardware Detection service. That seemed to fix it for a while, but the
problem has returned.

Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

The system is running Home Premium and the drive is a PBDS CD/DVD
burner. Autoplay is disabled. The dialog box that pops up is titled
"Burn a Disc". It says "Prepare this blank disc", and has an edit box
labeled "Disc title".

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Vulcanander

Re: Vista wants to format CDs

Well a small fix that has worked for some of my discs is to make a 1kb
text file and have it burnt onto the CD-R and it will read everything
just fine. However, I've run into regular CDs I have and that solution
doesn't work because of the write protect issue. So I'm still stuck with
that part myself.

Converting from XP to Vista, this issue is just massive and have not
found any forum to have found a workable fix aside from using your old
PC to transfer stuff to an external drive or something of the like. I
can't afford this, and even if I could, my old PC no longer works for me
to do this with.

The only other solution I've come across is a recovery software you can
buy, but as I said, I am not exactly that wealthy to spare that at
present.

--
Vulcanander
Ray

Re: Vista wants to format CDs
Vulcanander <Vulcanander.372055@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Well a small fix that has worked for some of my discs is to make a
> 1kb text file and have it burnt onto the CD-R and it will read
> everything just fine. However, I've run into regular CDs I have
> and that solution doesn't work because of the write protect issue.
> So I'm still stuck with that part myself.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

> Converting from XP to Vista, this issue is just massive and have
> not found any forum to have found a workable fix aside from using
> your old PC to transfer stuff to an external drive or something of
> the like. I can't afford this, and even if I could, my old PC no
> longer works for me to do this with.
>
> The only other solution I've come across is a recovery software
> you can buy, but as I said, I am not exactly that wealthy to spare
> that at present.

For me it's not a huge deal. I just let Vista try to format the disc.
After it realizes the disc can't be formatted, it gives up and lets me
browse the files normally. But it's a pain to keep having to do this.
Maybe I'll take another shot with Dell's tech support.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Vulcanander

Re: Vista wants to format CDs

Ray;666370 Wrote:
> For me it's not a huge deal. I just let Vista try to format the disc.
> After it realizes the disc can't be formatted, it gives up and lets me
> browse the files normally. But it's a pain to keep having to do this.
> Maybe I'll take another shot with Dell's tech support.
>
> --
> Ray
> (remove the Xs to reply)

I'll have to give that a try, but from what it does for me, is that it
doesn't give me the format option, just if I want to burn stuff on it.
And some of my CD-Rs are encountering this problem too. unable to burn
anything because of the write protection. I wonder how to get past
that.

I've tried using some freeware Data recovery, but they don't work at
all. Get a nice empty folder of nothing for my troubles. I'm guessing
the pricey ones will do the same.

Back to square one.

--
Vulcanander
davidjchuang

Re: Vista wants to format CDs

Vulcanander;666574 Wrote:
> > Ray;666370 Wrote:
> > For me it's not a huge deal. I just let Vista try to format the disc.
> > After it realizes the disc can't be formatted, it gives up and lets me
> > browse the files normally. But it's a pain to keep having to do this.
> > Maybe I'll take another shot with Dell's tech support.
> >
> > --
> > Ray
> > (remove the Xs to reply)> >

> I'll have to give that a try, but from what it does for me, is that
> it doesn't give me the format option, just if I want to burn stuff on
> it. And some of my CD-Rs are encountering this problem too. unable to
> burn anything because of the write protection. I wonder how to get
> past that.
>
> I've tried using some freeware Data recovery, but they don't work at
> all. Get a nice empty folder of nothing for my troubles. I'm guessing
> the pricey ones will do the same.
>
> Back to square one.

Pardon me if I appear to be contradictory. There is no such thing as
"write protection" in any cds. For cd -r or cd+r, you can write until
the disc is full, and you canNot re-write again. Only cd-rw will allow
you to erase and re-write. As to the "option" part, the system just
want to know if you want to burn "stuff", or read what's in it. If your
cd is already formatted, the system should not ask to format. Something
is wrong, either the cd is corrupted or the cd/dvd drive needs checking.

--
davidjchuang
Ray

Re: Vista wants to format CDs
davidjchuang <davidjchuang.3753y5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Pardon me if I appear to be contradictory. There is no such thing
> as "write protection" in any cds. For cd -r or cd+r, you can write
> until the disc is full, and you canNot re-write again. Only cd-rw
> will allow you to erase and re-write.

That's true, but the message it gives is that the disc is write-
protected. In my case, the disc is usually a factory-made CD-ROM, not
a -R or -RW, so it was never writeable. Maybe the "write protected" is
just a bit of imprecision on Microsoft's part.

> As to the "option" part,
> the system just want to know if you want to burn "stuff", or read
> what's in it. If your cd is already formatted, the system should
> not ask to format. Something is wrong, either the cd is corrupted
> or the cd/dvd drive needs checking.

It's not the disc, as it happens with all discs I've tried, and they
all work after I let it try (and fail) to format. For the same reason,
I doubt that it's the drive. But for me it's a moot point, as the
problem seems to have gone away for some reason. Maybe it has to do
with the phase of the moon or something.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Vulcanander

Re: Vista wants to format CDs

davidjchuang;667919 Wrote:
> > Vulcanander;666574 Wrote:
> >
> > I'll have to give that a try, but from what it does for me, is that it
> > doesn't give me the format option, just if I want to burn stuff on it.
> > And some of my CD-Rs are encountering this problem too. unable to burn
> > anything because of the write protection. I wonder how to get past that.
> >
> > I've tried using some freeware Data recovery, but they don't work at
> > all. Get a nice empty folder of nothing for my troubles. I'm guessing
> > the pricey ones will do the same.
> >
> > Back to square one.> >

> Pardon me if I appear to be contradictory. There is no such thing as
> "write protection" in any cds. For cd -r or cd+r, you can write until
> the disc is full, and you canNot re-write again. Only cd-rw will allow
> you to erase and re-write. As to the "option" part, the system just
> want to know if you want to burn "stuff", or read what's in it. If
> your cd is already formatted, the system should not ask to format.
> Something is wrong, either the cd is corrupted or the cd/dvd drive
> needs checking.

Yup, my problems come from CD-Rs I wrote in XP. I'm thinking it's just
a big compatibility option between the two OS and I have yet to figure
out a solid workaround. But if there was no such thing as
Write-protection, then it wouldn't tell me about it when I try to burn
something on to a disc and it fails.

--
Vulcanander
Ray

Re: Vista wants to format CDs
Vulcanander <Vulcanander.3797v1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Yup, my problems come from CD-Rs I wrote in XP. I'm thinking it's
> just a big compatibility option between the two OS and I have yet
> to figure out a solid workaround. But if there was no such thing
> as Write-protection, then it wouldn't tell me about it when I try
> to burn something on to a disc and it fails.

It sounds like your problem is different from mine. I found that all
CDs had the problem, whether I had burned them myself on a Win2k system
or they were commercially pressed ones. The only workaround I can
suggest is to let it try to format; it gives up quickly and allows you
to view the contents. At least, that worked for me.

My problem seems to have resolved itself sometime in the last couple of
weeks. The only major change I made was uninstalling ZoneAlarm, but I
suspect that was just a coincidence.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Vulcanander

Re: Vista wants to format CDs

I'll have to check on a CD-R that doesn't have important info on it. I
don't want to run the risk that it'll actually do that to me. lol I'll
let you know how that goes.

--
Vulcanander
Gordon

Re: Vista wants to format CDs
"Vulcanander" <Vulcanander.37kah2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I'll have to check on a CD-R that doesn't have important info on it. I
> don't want to run the risk that it'll actually do that to me. lol I'll
> let you know how that goes.

To whom are you talking?
Please note:
This is NOT a chat room and You are NOT posting to a forum run by
Vistaheads - you are actually posting to a global Usenet Newsgroup. You will
get a far better experience if you use a newsreader and subscribe to these
groups directly, rather than through Vistaheads.

Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

If you must stay with Vistaheads then please follow Usenet custom by quoting
the post you are replying to, and replying to the thread.

Thank you.

http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm