Windows Vista folder icon display problem

Jim

Windows Vista folder icon display problem
I have a Dell PC running Windows Vista and for some reason most of the
folders do not correctly display the icon for folders. They show the icon
that is normally associated with an unrecognized extension in Windows. The
folders can be opened and do display the files they contain properly but the
icon assosicated with the folder is incorrect. I have tried to manually
change the folder icon back to the folder picture or any other picture, but
after applying what I have selected, it still shows the same icon associated
wtih unrecognized windows extentions. I went into the Windows restore and
tried to restore a point from a few days ago, but it didn't help. Is there
any way to reset these to a system default? I am afraid my only option may
be to complete restore windows but I am hopeful that there is a work around.
Brink

Re: Windows Vista folder icon display problem

Jim;645260 Wrote:
> I have a Dell PC running Windows Vista and for some reason most of the
> folders do not correctly display the icon for folders. They show the
> icon
> that is normally associated with an unrecognized extension in Windows.
> The
> folders can be opened and do display the files they contain properly
> but the
> icon assosicated with the folder is incorrect. I have tried to manually
> change the folder icon back to the folder picture or any other picture,
> but
> after applying what I have selected, it still shows the same icon
> associated
> wtih unrecognized windows extentions. I went into the Windows restore
> and
> tried to restore a point from a few days ago, but it didn't help. Is
> there
> any way to reset these to a system default? I am afraid my only option
> may
> be to complete restore windows but I am hopeful that there is a work
> around.

Hi Jim,

Rebuilding the icon cache may have the icons display properly
afterwards. This will show you how to.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html

Shawn

--
Brink

[image: http://uswave.net/vistax64/brinkvx64.png]
THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS, JUST THE PEOPLE THAT DO NOT ASK THEM.
'*Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
*Please post feedback to help others.*