How to use the legacy indexing service in Vista?

Charlie K

How to use the legacy indexing service in Vista?
For some reason the Windows Search Indexer in Vista refuses to index the
files on my EXT2 partition (a non-native filesystem).

Therefore I have installed the old Indexing Service along with the usual
Windows Search, and using the management console (mmc.exe), I have set it up
to index the mentioned partition. It seems that all is well - my CPU usage
shot through the roof for perhaps an hour, and has been quiet after that.

My problem is that I don't know how to use it! It seems that the indexing is
not integrated with Vistas search in Explorer/Start Menu. When searching for
items on the non-native drive, I just get the immediate (indexed) hits on the
NTFS drive, until it actually searches manually through the filesystem (slow).

So if Microsoft has given us the possibility to use the old indexing
service, how do I issue queries?

Charlie K

RE: How to use the legacy indexing service in Vista?
Just to make things clear, the legacy indexing service is the one using the
two processes CIDAEMON (Indexing Service filter daemon) and CISVC (Content
Indexing service).
Dave Wood [MS]

Re: How to use the legacy indexing service in Vista?
Yeah, the legacy indexing service is not integrated into the Vista search
experience at all, so you won't be able to do queries that way. I think
there's an "Indexing Service" node in the "Computer Management" MMC applet
that lets you configure and query.

Dave