Pictures in Documents

Nino Cartagena

Pictures in Documents
I am new to Windows Vista. I am having the hardest time trying to catagorize
& rename my pictures. Everytime I go to a picture file in my document files,
I highlight the pictures that I want to rename. Then when I click rename &
type the name of the pics that I want labeled, it scrambles the pictures in a
different order & the numbers of the pics are pic 1, pic 1, pic 2, pic 2,
etc, etc. Please help
Bob

Re: Pictures in Documents
Hi Nino
Your question is not clear. Do you have pictures combined with other types
of files in the same folder?

It would be helpful if you gave an example with more details.

--
*Report back, please*

"Nino Cartagena" <Nino Cartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to Windows Vista. I am having the hardest time trying to
>catagorize
> & rename my pictures. Everytime I go to a picture file in my document
> files,
> I highlight the pictures that I want to rename. Then when I click rename &
> type the name of the pics that I want labeled, it scrambles the pictures
> in a
> different order & the numbers of the pics are pic 1, pic 1, pic 2, pic 2,
> etc, etc. Please help

Nino Cartagena

Re: Pictures in Documents
I have a folder with about 200 pictures. If I try to add like 10 more
pictures to the folder, instead of individually renameing each picture, I try
to, with the mouser, highlight all of the pictures, then right click, and
click "RENAME." When I go to the first picture, I will type: Scenic (1) then
ENTER. Then all of the pictures will be scrambled out of order, and the
pictures are labled: (Scenic 1, Scenic1, Scenic 2, Scenic 2, Scenic 3, Scenic
3, etc. I'm used to the older Windows XP Home edition, where all you had to
do was go to a file in the documents, pick the files or pictures that you
wanted to rename, go to the first picture, type in the name, and that it
would label & number the pic for you without scrambling the files out of
order.

"Bob" wrote:

> Hi Nino
> Your question is not clear. Do you have pictures combined with other types
> of files in the same folder?
>
> It would be helpful if you gave an example with more details.
>
> --
> *Report back, please*
>

> "Nino Cartagena" <Nino Cartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am new to Windows Vista. I am having the hardest time trying to
> >catagorize
> > & rename my pictures. Everytime I go to a picture file in my document
> > files,
> > I highlight the pictures that I want to rename. Then when I click rename &
> > type the name of the pics that I want labeled, it scrambles the pictures
> > in a
> > different order & the numbers of the pics are pic 1, pic 1, pic 2, pic 2,
> > etc, etc. Please help

Bob

Re: Pictures in Documents
If you click on the "date taken" column header after you rename the photos
the sort order will revert back to chronological order by date taken without
regard for the name of the file. You can toggle between ascending or
descending order each time you click the header.
Is that what you want?
--

>I have a folder with about 200 pictures. If I try to add like 10 more
> pictures to the folder, instead of individually renameing each picture, I
> try
> to, with the mouser, highlight all of the pictures, then right click, and
> click "RENAME." When I go to the first picture, I will type: Scenic (1)
> then
> ENTER. Then all of the pictures will be scrambled out of order, and the
> pictures are labled: (Scenic 1, Scenic1, Scenic 2, Scenic 2, Scenic 3,
> Scenic
> 3, etc. I'm used to the older Windows XP Home edition, where all you had
> do was go to a file in the documents, pick the files or pictures that you
> wanted to rename, go to the first picture, type in the name, and that it
> would label & number the pic for you without scrambling the files out of
> order.
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Hi Nino
>> Your question is not clear. Do you have pictures combined with other
>> types
>> of files in the same folder?
>>
>> It would be helpful if you gave an example with more details.
>>
>> --
>> *Report back, please*
>>

>> "Nino Cartagena" <Nino Cartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I am new to Windows Vista. I am having the hardest time trying to
>> >catagorize
>> > & rename my pictures. Everytime I go to a picture file in my document
>> > files,
>> > I highlight the pictures that I want to rename. Then when I click
>> > rename &
>> > type the name of the pics that I want labeled, it scrambles the
>> > pictures
>> > in a
>> > different order & the numbers of the pics are pic 1, pic 1, pic 2, pic
>> > 2,
>> > etc, etc. Please help

Nino Cartagena

Re: Pictures in Documents
No, this is not working. Like I said, everytime I try to rename the pics,
they become scrambled. And the "date taken" option that you spoke of is not
avaiable in the folder that is a "COPY"

"Bob" wrote:

> If you click on the "date taken" column header after you rename the photos
> the sort order will revert back to chronological order by date taken without
> regard for the name of the file. You can toggle between ascending or
> descending order each time you click the header.
> Is that what you want?
> --
> *Report back, please*
>
> "Nino Cartagena" <NinoCartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a folder with about 200 pictures. If I try to add like 10 more
> > pictures to the folder, instead of individually renameing each picture, I
> > try
> > to, with the mouser, highlight all of the pictures, then right click, and
> > click "RENAME." When I go to the first picture, I will type: Scenic (1)
> > then
> > ENTER. Then all of the pictures will be scrambled out of order, and the
> > pictures are labled: (Scenic 1, Scenic1, Scenic 2, Scenic 2, Scenic 3,
> > Scenic
> > 3, etc. I'm used to the older Windows XP Home edition, where all you had
> > do was go to a file in the documents, pick the files or pictures that you
> > wanted to rename, go to the first picture, type in the name, and that it
> > would label & number the pic for you without scrambling the files out of
> > order.
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Nino
> >> Your question is not clear. Do you have pictures combined with other
> >> types
> >> of files in the same folder?
> >>
> >> It would be helpful if you gave an example with more details.
> >>
> >> --
> >> *Report back, please*
> >>

> >> "Nino Cartagena" <Nino Cartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Bob

Re: Pictures in Documents
It doesn't matter if the folder is the "original" or a "copy".

Right click the "Name" header and choose "Date Taken".
--

news32A0667-B7F8-4602-92B5-B5C842BD313B@microsoft.com...
> No, this is not working. Like I said, everytime I try to rename the pics,
> they become scrambled. And the "date taken" option that you spoke of is
> not
> avaiable in the folder that is a "COPY"
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> If you click on the "date taken" column header after you rename the
>> photos
>> the sort order will revert back to chronological order by date taken
>> without
>> regard for the name of the file. You can toggle between ascending or
>> descending order each time you click the header.
>> Is that what you want?
>> --
>> *Report back, please*
>>
>> "Nino Cartagena" <NinoCartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have a folder with about 200 pictures. If I try to add like 10 more
>> > pictures to the folder, instead of individually renameing each picture,
>> > try
>> > to, with the mouser, highlight all of the pictures, then right click,
>> > and
>> > click "RENAME." When I go to the first picture, I will type: Scenic
>> > (1)
>> > then
>> > ENTER. Then all of the pictures will be scrambled out of order, and
>> > the
>> > pictures are labled: (Scenic 1, Scenic1, Scenic 2, Scenic 2, Scenic 3,
>> > Scenic
>> > 3, etc. I'm used to the older Windows XP Home edition, where all you
>> > had
>> > do was go to a file in the documents, pick the files or pictures that
>> > you
>> > wanted to rename, go to the first picture, type in the name, and that
>> > it
>> > would label & number the pic for you without scrambling the files out
>> > of
>> > order.

Dave

Re: Pictures in Documents
They "scramble" because you have them sorted by Name.
Vista allows you to add whatever columns you want to see.

Assuming you're using Windows Explorer,
Right-click on the "Name" column header, select "More...", select "Date
Taken"

"Nino Cartagena" <NinoCartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news32A0667-B7F8-4602-92B5-B5C842BD313B@microsoft.com...
> No, this is not working. Like I said, everytime I try to rename the pics,
> they become scrambled. And the "date taken" option that you spoke of is
> not
> avaiable in the folder that is a "COPY"
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> If you click on the "date taken" column header after you rename the
>> photos
>> the sort order will revert back to chronological order by date taken
>> without
>> regard for the name of the file. You can toggle between ascending or
>> descending order each time you click the header.
>> Is that what you want?
>> --
>> *Report back, please*
>>
>> "Nino Cartagena" <NinoCartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have a folder with about 200 pictures. If I try to add like 10 more
>> > pictures to the folder, instead of individually renameing each picture,
>> > try
>> > to, with the mouser, highlight all of the pictures, then right click,
>> > and
>> > click "RENAME." When I go to the first picture, I will type: Scenic
>> > (1)
>> > then
>> > ENTER. Then all of the pictures will be scrambled out of order, and
>> > the
>> > pictures are labled: (Scenic 1, Scenic1, Scenic 2, Scenic 2, Scenic 3,
>> > Scenic
>> > 3, etc. I'm used to the older Windows XP Home edition, where all you
>> > had
>> > do was go to a file in the documents, pick the files or pictures that
>> > you
>> > wanted to rename, go to the first picture, type in the name, and that
>> > it
>> > would label & number the pic for you without scrambling the files out
>> > of
>> > order.

Nino Cartagena

Re: Pictures in Documents
Thanks Bob. I was able to execute the "date taken option." However, I am
unsuccessful in catagorizing my pictures. The pictures still keep scrambling
in a different order, and the renaming process has been scrambled also. All
I'm simply trying to do is rename the pictures in a file without the pictures
or the names becoming scrambled.

"Bob" wrote:

> It doesn't matter if the folder is the "original" or a "copy".
>
> Right click the "Name" header and choose "Date Taken".
> --
> *Report back, please*
>
> "Nino Cartagena" <NinoCartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news32A0667-B7F8-4602-92B5-B5C842BD313B@microsoft.com...
> > No, this is not working. Like I said, everytime I try to rename the pics,
> > they become scrambled. And the "date taken" option that you spoke of is
> > not
> > avaiable in the folder that is a "COPY"
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> If you click on the "date taken" column header after you rename the
> >> photos
> >> the sort order will revert back to chronological order by date taken
> >> without
> >> regard for the name of the file. You can toggle between ascending or
> >> descending order each time you click the header.
> >> Is that what you want?
> >> --
> >> *Report back, please*
> >>
> >> "Nino Cartagena" <NinoCartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Nino Cartagena

Re: Pictures in Documents
Dave, buddy, I'm using Windows Vista. This method is unsuccessful

"Dave" wrote:

> They "scramble" because you have them sorted by Name.
> Vista allows you to add whatever columns you want to see.
>
> Assuming you're using Windows Explorer,
> Right-click on the "Name" column header, select "More...", select "Date
> Taken"
>

> "Nino Cartagena" <NinoCartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news32A0667-B7F8-4602-92B5-B5C842BD313B@microsoft.com...
> > No, this is not working. Like I said, everytime I try to rename the pics,
> > they become scrambled. And the "date taken" option that you spoke of is
> > not
> > avaiable in the folder that is a "COPY"
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> If you click on the "date taken" column header after you rename the
> >> photos
> >> the sort order will revert back to chronological order by date taken
> >> without
> >> regard for the name of the file. You can toggle between ascending or
> >> descending order each time you click the header.
> >> Is that what you want?
> >> --
> >> *Report back, please*
> >>
> >> "Nino Cartagena" <NinoCartagena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in